Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 10:01 PM

21,620 posts, read 31,202,923 times

Advertisements

Both Newtown and Southbury sound like they might be a little too rural for your tastes. You might want to look into Brookfield - nice town and closer to shopping than the former two, also closer to NY state. Great schools as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2010, 07:49 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,935,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Both Newtown and Southbury sound like they might be a little too rural for your tastes. You might want to look into Brookfield - nice town and closer to shopping than the former two, also closer to NY state. Great schools as well.
I agree. Also check out New Fairfield and Bethel which is even closer to New York and will cut down on your commute time to Manhattan. Jay

Old 12-01-2010, 02:48 PM

5 posts, read 8,925 times
Do you already have your current home up for sale?

Old 12-01-2010, 05:29 PM

92 posts, read 203,131 times
I also agree with Brookfield...easy access to shopping & restaurants and right off of I-84. New Fairfield is also a great town -- I live there and love it. But it's a small town...probably too small for your liking.
Also, the houses at Traditions in Southbury are very nice, but you said you were looking for about an acre of land too. You won't get that at Traditions. The homes are so close (like almost on top of each other). You can pretty much wave and say hello to your neighbor while you're both washing dishes at your kitchen sinks. They're more like free standing codos and each house is connected to the next one by fencing. The town of Southbury is nice though...you can definitely find a nice single family home on property within your price range. Newtown is great and Bethel too. You have lots of choices Good luck!

Old 12-02-2010, 02:55 AM

34 posts, read 92,172 times
hi,
I visit every city near Avon, and I seriously want to say, almost every person I met are very nice, no attitude and egoism at all. You really like living here.

Old 01-16-2011, 02:21 PM

73 posts, read 198,012 times
Both Newtown and Southbury are great towns. You can't go wrong with either town. As far as the snobiness goes, I have NEVER encountered any snobby people in either town. I am in Newtown often too and never encounter any snobby people. I don't get where this stereotype stems from!!!

I moved from Westchester to Southbury 12 years ago and we love it. I will not bore anyone with all my reasons why again since I have posted it many times when answering other people's questions in previous posts.

My husband and I rented in Brookfield for a year before we bought our house in Southbury. I would NEVER want to live there!! It is incredibly congested. Although they may have the big box stores, the whole four corners and other sections near Stew Leonards are a nightmare to be in. I only go down to Brookfield to go to Costco or the movies but always get annoyed since it is riduculously crowded. I also think it lacks the charm of Southbury and Newtown. It is just strip mall after strip mall with no regard for aesthetics.

Southbury has all the stores you need and alot of New England charm. I know many people who live in Traditions and although the lifestyle is good for some you will have zero privacy since the houses sit on top of each other. You mentioned you wanted acreage so I would not bother then with Traditions. I live in the vicinity of Traditions off of exit 14 and I love the convencience of having the Southbury Green and the entrances to i84 2 1/2 miles away.

I would choose Newtown over Southbury since I like Southbury's lay out better and it has more stores that I like such as Ann Taylor, Gap, Victoria Secret, Borders, Talbots, etc etc. I don't think you would be disappointed with either town.

Good luck with your search!

Old 01-16-2011, 02:28 PM

73 posts, read 198,012 times
Even though Oxford might have grown as far as the amount of houses, there is no real town. And I hope not to offend anyone but the town that is there needs alot of updating. Rich's Farm ice cream is my only reason for going to Oxford! LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Actually I'd have to say Southbury is more "out there" than Oxford. Yeah, it's close to Waterbury and Danbury, but Oxford is centrally located between Bridgeport, Danbury, New Haven and Waterbury - and is more convenient to the Norwalk/Stamford areas for jobs. That's the reason it's currently in transformation from a rural, woodsy town to a bedroom suburb of points southwest.

Oxford has grown incredibly in the past ten years. New homes/neighborhoods are everywhere. There are lots of former Fairfield County-ers and New Yorkers - my parents moved there from lower Fairfield County in recent years. They also built a very nice high school off of Rockhouse Hill Road. Take a drive down 188 next time you're in town, you'll likely see a big difference.

That said, the OP would have to be okay with living in a woodsy area - it's not as "out there" as, say, Woodbury or Roxbury, but it's definitely pretty woodsy. Lots of neighborhoods in town would offer the OP that community feel they seek, IMO.

Old 01-16-2011, 03:59 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,858,669 times
i agree that bethel might be a better choice than newtown, a little closer to the amenities, youll probably get a little more for your money, nice updgraded schools (theyve done ALOT of work on the highschool) quaint little downtown but close to everything, easy acess to I-84.

newtown MIGHT be a little too rural...

Old 01-16-2011, 06:04 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,935,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctgirl36 View Post
My husband and I rented in Brookfield for a year before we bought our house in Southbury. I would NEVER want to live there!! It is incredibly congested.
A lot of this has changed now that the Brookfield bypass has been completed. It takes a lot of the through traffic off Route 7 so it is not quite as bad as when you lived there. I will also agree that Southbury has a nicer shopping district. Even though Southbury has strip centers they are very nicely laid out with landscaping that masks the strip mall look. Jay

Old 01-16-2011, 06:53 PM

21,620 posts, read 31,202,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctgirl36 View Post
Even though Oxford might have grown as far as the amount of houses, there is no real town. And I hope not to offend anyone but the town that is there needs alot of updating. Rich's Farm ice cream is my only reason for going to Oxford! LOL!
You're right, there isn't really a "town", so I'm not sure what you say needs updating. I'm quite familiar with the town and there is a little brick plaza along Route 67 with nice architecture and wooden signs, and across the street, same thing but a newer building. If you're talking about near the town green, the church, homes and bed and breakfast there are very old and antique. Updating them might not be the best option.

Considering the amount of growth in the town, and the spike in median income (which is more than $30,000 greater than Southbury's), I'd say Oxford is a pretty desirable area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut