Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 03:06 PM

13 posts, read 125,564 times

Advertisements

towns to consider...........

Glastonbury
south windsor
wethersfield
ellington
tolland
marlborough

Let me know exactly what you are looking for and I'll try to help...I prefer east of the river. Easier commute and more laid back.
Good schools, nice houses and your range, easy commute, town activities....go with South Windsor
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2006, 01:19 PM

3,219 posts, read 6,579,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by connecticut View Post
Hi,

If you don't have to come to CT, I would tell you, "don't do it" because the weather is terrible & yet living here is incredibly expensive. We, the middle-class, are also taxed to death here. I strongly recommend you take an exploratory trip here first. Since Sept. is the probably considered the nicest month by most people anywhere in the U.S., you may want to ask locals about the weather here in May & June ... still wet, cold. The sky here is white most of the year, it seems. Pro: Hartford is 2.5 hrs. from NYC & Boston > two great, fun cities. Lyme disease is rampent here, by the way. I don't mean to get you down with all these negatives but if you have a choice ... I'm hoping to leave here, asap. If you make a trip out, ask local people about some of the comments I've made here; I am sure you will hear the same remarks, unfortunately ... the people who live here are here because they were born here, their family or spouse's family is here or they came here because of a "great" job offer. The locals typically have never lived anywhere else. Your great job offer should factor in the outrageous cost of living & quality of life factors. Watch out for Lyme disease ... can't visibly really see the deer ticks because they are incredibly tiny & migrate to the worst possible body parts. Some places you live, some you visit. This is a great place to visit in the fall or to watch maple-syrup being made in Feb-March & to also visit historic homes. Best wishes, sincerely.
Do you think that living in the Philadelphia, PA suburbs (like in Delaware, Montgomery or Chester counties) is better than living in the Hartford market area in CT?? This is a decision I'm facing - either CT or that PA area.

Old 11-19-2006, 02:29 PM

439 posts, read 720,619 times
PA sucks

the quality of life is much higher in Connecticut
'Connecticut' is a burned out NUT- who is bitter and mad for some unknown reason. You will enjoy Connecticut far more then PA.

Old 11-20-2006, 07:25 AM

30 posts, read 130,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticLion View Post
PA sucks

the quality of life is much higher in Connecticut
'Connecticut' is a burned out NUT- who is bitter and mad for some unknown reason. You will enjoy Connecticut far more then PA.
Case in point that PA stinks at least in the getting around by car aspect - on Friday I explored the Philly area driving and this is what I found. (This is my post copied that I posted in a PA thread on Friday).

I did Philadelphia to Royersford which took forever it seemed during working hours and Route 76 is a Complete nightmare no matter what time of day it seems after talking to some people about this.

Then I drove up 202 from there through Norristown then got onto the Germantown turnpike (I think that was the name of the road) and through Philly till I hit Route 1 north - that took me 2 hours - again during the day. I started this trek at around 2pm and didn't get out of PA till 4:20pm crossing the Palmyra-Tacomy bridge back into NJ then I exhaled.

In the areas in which I drove in PA today I didn't appreciate the all of a sudden last second traffic lane changes I have to do that these roads that don't really have any signs beforehand notifying drivers as such as someone seeking a road and then see a sign right at the point of that turn - hope you understand what I mean here. I got home from 320 miles of driving back and forth from northern NJ - I'm tired

No offense intended here - What is it that it seems that many Philly area drivers DON'T know how to drive period. Either they go too slow or lightening fast while changing lanes almost hitting the right rear corner bumper of my car while I'm driving with the flow of traffic.

So me looking into the Philly market for possible relocation seems to be out for me.

This was my experience and wether this is the norm or I hit a bad day I would'nt know.

Old 02-27-2007, 06:37 AM

22 posts, read 154,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragondog View Post
'Connecticut' If you think winter is the 'dominant season' here- you are 'full of it'- Plain and simple- I feel you have a political ax against this state. Last Autumn the leaves where green here until mid October- The climate in Connecticut is mild compared to most of the mid and upper midwest. Cold in May and June? Have you ever lived in San Francisco- in mid July it is 65-70.

The lowest temperature in the greater Hartford area last winter was 3 degrees- that makes it a USDA zone 7- same as Louisville KY and Nashville Tenn.

Your the 'trees are bare in November' idea is true- but the same is true for all the cities up and down the east coast megalopolis (From DC north to NYC and to Boston) Ever take a course in climatology? I have- I have a minor in Goegraphy and climate.

'Every May and June is cold and miserable'- that word 'every' seems so black and white- actually May and June here are usually 'mild' the same as the California coast- 60-75 and cool nights- with a bit more rain. No AC is needed nor is heat. I guess if I was in Florida it would be 90 hot and humid.

'Frozen in time' compared to what? Right wing reactionary places like KY, OK, Ohio- actually Connecticut is a progressive state, with positive laws for kids, gays and women and the average person- is that bad? The state has always had progressive ideas and thinking- it has great school systems, colleges, and services for all, and one of the highest levels of 'quality of life factors in the country'.

If you really think this state is 'stuck' in the 70's- then move to backward redneck states like Wyoming, OK, KY ,Tenn, GA, Miss. ALa. VA, Florida, Texas, Idaho, Montana, Nebraska, W. Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Ark. L.a- and perhaps you will see what 'regressive' and backward really are.

Your lies and blantant misinformation here sound like soundbites from FOX News- and as far as your obscessive preoccupation with 'Lyme disease'
well its more BS- simply because that problem here is very unimportant to the vast majority of the population.

My suggestions to you (if you really live in Connecticut) go move to some backward right wing reactionary state- that you think is 'progressive' and forward thinking- or better yet give Karl Rove a call- you may become a member of his crack new propaganda unit- because what you speak is mostly lies. Cheers.

Um, Dragondog, for those of us who ARE considering a move for various reasons to CT...and being born, raised, and educated (well, I might add) in Louisiana...It doesn't bode well for "us backward rednecks" to hear such lovely sentiments about our culture. If you want to talk in generalities, what does that say about the manners and consideration of you toward others?
I certainly can not argue with you on CT statistically being a better place for families than LA. But, I will tell you this...Even YOU could come here and be offered a comfortable chair, a cold glass of ice tea, and a meal you wouldn't soon forget....We will laugh and cry with you..and even give you a helping hand if you need it...Because we are just THAT WAY (just ask all of those wonderful teachers in Delcambre, LA, who, after losing everything they had in Hurrican Rita, went back to the flooded school after only a week b/c they knew the kids had no other place to go for a hot meal).....If you get so offended about blanket statements being made about CT...why don't you take your own advice...Because we are reading this too sweetie (yes, we CAN read...how 'bout that!)

Old 02-27-2007, 10:14 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,016,311 times
luled

The best option for you, is to visit Connecticut- the state has much to offer, I am sure you will find a new life here.

Louisiana is a great state- and New Orleans is a great American city that has been short changed- I love the culture and the FOOD!

Look forward to meeting you for a cup of clam chowder.

Old 02-27-2007, 10:43 AM

575 posts, read 3,131,365 times
^ Same person as Dragondog ...

Old 02-27-2007, 10:49 AM

I do hope we all greet newcomers with information - instead of offering no answers to people moving here to CT- we need talented educated people like lululed. Dragon dogs repose above had merit- but was not without FLAWS.

We are here to help and not hurt- sorry you hit and run with no answers- or are unwilling to take messages. (who and where ever you are)
It's easy I guess to have hidden agendas- especially with people we disagree with politically. I live in old mill town-very diverse- and do not own a 'summer home' in Old Saybrook. So much for populism.

Last edited by skytrekker; 02-27-2007 at 12:18 PM..

Old 02-28-2007, 05:32 PM

22 posts, read 154,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
luled

The best option for you, is to visit Connecticut- the state has much to offer, I am sure you will find a new life here.

Louisiana is a great state- and New Orleans is a great American city that has been short changed- I love the culture and the FOOD!

Look forward to meeting you for a cup of clam chowder.
Thank you skytrekker...I look forward to my first cup...and perhaps I will make you some gumbo....potato salad on the side

Old 02-28-2007, 06:29 PM

Well the Gumbo I can do- oh yeah- and whatever else from southern L.a.

I love Cajun-
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut