Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 09:15 PM

47 posts, read 82,820 times

Advertisements

Just my two cents as a newbie to CT - the climate is WONDERFUL here. Except July and august are unbearably hot and humid if you are from the north - which I am. Otherwise, in comparison to Northern Maine, it's glorious. You can grow anything here, it is visually beautiful here with all the old homes and glorious flowers and trees and countryside. That's the bright side. The downside is, it's expensive to live here, there are ALOT of people. BE SURE to check out the town's property tax rate. It can vary widely. Also, do check carefully on which towns to consider - if the housing if lower, chances are it's a more undesirable one. Not all, mind you, but it's a good indication in most cases. I lived in Simsbury about a year, and moved to Suffield last fall. I really like Suffield. Simsbury is nice, beautiful town and all, but - ok, can I say it? There are alot of snobs, and it's extremely high priced. (Groceries, gas, etc) My husband works in Bloomfield, just north of Hartford. It takes him about 20 - 25 min on a minor highway. We are 15 min from Enfield, which is a great little shopping city. Ellington is real nice too, in fact, once you are 'away' from Hartford a bit (on the north side anyway) most towns are ok. I wouldn't live in Windsor Locks though - Bradley Airport - lots of planes coming and going, and just not real pretty. Or most parts of Bloomfield either. check your demographics. Do your homework. The property tax rate in Simsbury is about 36. The mil rate here in Suffield is around 25. BIG difference. One big thing here - you are assessed property tax on your vehicles. Isn't that delightful?
People are polite, but it's hard to break into clicks here. With kids though, you will probably find it easier. The drivers are ok - much better than Massachusetts - they are rude up there! (I've lived there too) The schools in Simsbury, Avon, Suffield, Granby are all top notch, and very desirable. My hubby worked in Baltimore for a year - absolutely hated it. Traffic was unbelievable. We considered a move to PA (to commute), but when I looked at 'affordable' housing - oh boy. Not what I was used to, and I'm from Maine! I love to visit PA, but too hot and humid for me. Again - the weather is WONDERFUL here and don't let anyone tell you different. 4 distinct seasons without freezing to death. Only complaint is the humidity in the summer - just not used to that, and sometimes extra warm falls. I like 'em crisp! Good luck! Hope you are happy with your decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2007, 06:51 PM

27 posts, read 95,821 times
I moved here from Ohio last Juy and I am happy to be back in New England. The weather here is much better than Cleveland. At least the sun shines here. As far as being more expensive.... salaries are higher here.

Best advice is to come out and explore the area. Hook up with a Realtor that can show you the area too. I live in West Hartford and never take the highways into Hartford and the back roads are a breeze.

Old 03-01-2007, 07:50 PM

22 posts, read 65,242 times
Connecticut has a lot to offer. We're located half way between Boston and NYC. Hartford has some great restaurants, interesting events, some good theatre. Simsbury has an outdoor band shell with great music all summer long. Fun hiking and biking trails. Very low crime rate. Good shopping.

Knowing what I now know, I would recommend Simsbury, Canton, and Avon. It's true, there is no highway but there are plenty of alternate routes to get to Hartford. Not having a highway is not such a bad thing, it's inconvenient for some and there is less crime than some of the cities that have a highway running through them.

Simsbury and West Hartford have terrific school systems. Avon and Canton are good as well.

I live in the Simsbury area and get into Hartford in 25 minutes.

Personally, I would concentrate on the areas I've just mentioned. There is a great quality of life, an easy lifestyle, plenty to do and the Farmington Valley is just a great place to live. The weather isn't extreme at all, there's a comfortable growing season if you're into gardening at all. There are homes in a very reasonable price range.

Our son lives in Bloomfield Hills Michigan. He likes it out there but misses the more pleasant environment here. Of course he grew up here.

Good luck with whatever you plan. Life is what you make it. Bloom where you're planted.

Old 03-01-2007, 10:01 PM

3,576 posts, read 10,655,777 times
As a former resident of Newington, I wouls also recommend it as a place to live near Hartford, along with the other towns already mentioned - Wethersfield, Cromwell, Rocky Hill, West Hartford, Avon, Farmington, Simsbury, etal.

Old 03-06-2007, 01:24 PM

1,970 posts, read 2,235,124 times
I didn't see if the OP has kids. If so, the West Hartford school district is good, housing prices there are high. If high schools are not a concern (kids still young, or private schools), the West End of Hartford is nice -- west of Woodland and north of Farmington. I found it to be the best value.

I work downtown, and my commute is 5 minutes.

Old 03-16-2007, 07:09 AM

Personally, and that's just me, I'd steer clear of Hartford and it's immediate area.

Old 03-21-2007, 08:57 AM

1,599 posts, read 2,947,771 times
I spent 5 years in Simsbury which were the most boring years of my life! I loved my house,yard and garden, but it was usually too cold and grey to go outside and enjoy anything. And ,yes, there were a lot of ticks. One day after working in my garden I found 3 on me! Disgusting! And that was when I was pregnant!

Anyway, Connecticut isn't all bad, but it just wasn't for me. I now live in St. Augustine, Fl, and my family and I are having FUN. The schools are not as good and the economic climate isn't as secure, but I feel so much happier here. The people are much more friendly, the skies are almost always blue, the beaches are beautiful (with warm water ) and on weekends there is so much to do.

For me, Connecticut was like a bad dream and when I left there I finally woke up and saw the sun!

Old 03-21-2007, 09:19 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,003,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songgirl View Post
I spent 5 years in Simsbury which were the most boring years of my life! I loved my house,yard and garden, but it was usually too cold and grey to go outside and enjoy anything. And ,yes, there were a lot of ticks. One day after working in my garden I found 3 on me! Disgusting! And that was when I was pregnant!

Anyway, Connecticut isn't all bad, but it just wasn't for me. I now live in St. Augustine, Fl, and my family and I are having FUN. The schools are not as good and the economic climate isn't as secure, but I feel so much happier here. The people are much more friendly, the skies are almost always blue, the beaches are beautiful (with warm water ) and on weekends there is so much to do.

For me, Connecticut was like a bad dream and when I left there I finally woke up and saw the sun!
Funny, I felt the same way about Florida. It was a 5 year prison sentence for me. Go figure.

Old 10-06-2007, 07:19 PM

Granby is a nice town as well. And there *is* a highway there.

I still maintain that living near the highway is not such a great idea. It definitely increases the crimes rates in towns. Easy off, easy on.

Old 10-06-2007, 08:16 PM

2,102 posts, read 7,757,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Funny, I felt the same way about Florida. It was a 5 year prison sentence for me. Go figure.
Me, too. The two times that I went there on vacation I vowed never to return. My idea of fun isn't sweating from 8:00 am until midnight, thank you very much. If there's a hell of earth, it's Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut