Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 04:21 PM

83,518 posts, read 75,307,397 times

Advertisements

Did another accident happen today?? On a Friday afternoon??? I feel and I pray for everyone in that traffic,. OMG...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2010, 04:34 PM

1,497 posts, read 4,459,279 times
"To me I-95 is the East Coast's version of an LA freeway...."

OK, I'm going to have to step in on this one! Having just moved from there, I will say that the ONLY thing I've seen in this area that even approaches the tyranny of the 405 during rush hour is the GW Bridge toll plaza at around 6pm on a Thursday. They call it the 405 because it takes you 4 or 5 hours to get anywhere...and it was 12 lanes across with no tolls and 2 carpool lanes. It would be bumper to bumper at 11pm on a Sunday night for absolutely no reason. Nope, give me the 95, or the Hutch any day.

Although I will say that I find it crazy that so many people stop on highways for no reason out here. I've seen people pull off to take a pee in the middle of traffic, to walk their dog, to switch drivers, or?? Doesn't anyone watch those shows where people that stop on highways get plowed into? We didn't have shoulders in LA, so you drove, or got off at the next exit, period. No stopping for Dunkin Donuts or gas right in the middle. Sissies!

Old 12-10-2010, 06:06 PM

83,518 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Quick search,,, One this morning.. Accidents in Westport, Milford on I-95 South cleared; congestion remains - Connecticut Post

and yeap... one this afternoon....this just is not fair.... we're poisoning our bodies dealing with this ___
I-95 truck fire sparks traffic chaos in Greenwich - GreenwichTime

tractor-trailer fire on Interstate 95 North between exits 4 and 5 jammed up traffic throughout the region Friday as firefighters worked to break down pieces of burnt cardboard in the truck in order to extinguish the flames.

The 18-wheeler caught fire around 11:20 a.m. and the driver was able to safely pull to the side of the road, officials said. The driver was not injured during the incident.

The fire forced officials to close the northbound right and center lanes of I-95, as well as part of the left lane. The lanes remained closed until the fire department cleared the scene at 4:45 p.m.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:56 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,304,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
As for Griswold, this is very sad. I just hope that the politicians and MADD don't do a knee-jerk reaction to it like they have done in the past. Jay
If it was Glastonbury or Greenwich, there would be. But it's Griswold, so I doubt it.

Old 12-11-2010, 03:36 PM

11,298 posts, read 18,888,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjinla View Post
They call it the 405 because it takes you 4 or 5 hours to get anywhere...and it was 12 lanes across with no tolls and 2 carpool lanes. It would be bumper to bumper at 11pm on a Sunday night for absolutely no reason. Nope, give me the 95, or the Hutch any day.
Yeah, I was being kind of "relative", nothing around here really compares to LA for traffic. I remember going there about 10 years ago for a party for my uncle's 75th birthday and landing at 10pm on a Sunday, renting a car and finding at that hour exactly what you said about the 405 (and it did take me 2-3 hours to get from the airport to his home in Thousand Oaks, yikes!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Did another accident happen today?? On a Friday afternoon??? I feel and I pray for everyone in that traffic,. OMG...
I assume you're talking about the truck accident(s) between exit 4 and 5 on I-95? Yeah, both my wife and I were stuck with the "rubberneckers" going south on that one......north it was incredible the traffic stretched all the way down to Larchmont, NY!

Old 12-11-2010, 10:47 PM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowerdeck View Post
If it was Glastonbury or Greenwich, there would be. But it's Griswold, so I doubt it.
Sorry but that's such garbage. First off, Glastonbury and Greenwich are two completely different towns so you can't really put the two in the same category. Secondly, what evidence do you have to prove that the state views lives in Glastonbury more precious or important than lives in Griswold?

I have to say though, I was a little turned off when I watched on the news that the father of one of the teens did a "burnout" in the spot his daughter died, because she liked burnouts. I guess responsible driving doesn't run in that family...

Old 12-12-2010, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Sorry but that's such garbage. First off, Glastonbury and Greenwich are two completely different towns so you can't really put the two in the same category. Secondly, what evidence do you have to prove that the state views lives in Glastonbury more precious or important than lives in Griswold?

I have to say though, I was a little turned off when I watched on the news that the father of one of the teens did a "burnout" in the spot his daughter died, because she liked burnouts. I guess responsible driving doesn't run in that family...
Glastonbury and Greenwich are affluent towns in the suburbs, well known towns around the population centers. Griswold is some random town in the woods 97% of people more than 20 miles away don't know about.

If things happen closer to home to the media, politicians, and people in general - it affects them more.

Old 12-12-2010, 09:37 AM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowerdeck View Post
Glastonbury and Greenwich are affluent towns in the suburbs, well known towns around the population centers. Griswold is some random town in the woods 97% of people more than 20 miles away don't know about.

If things happen closer to home to the media, politicians, and people in general - it affects them more.
Greenwich is well known around the country and perhaps even the world. Glastonbury is not. But that's besides the point.

I was asking for evidence of your claim, not merely assumptions, because I don't find it to be true one bit. The media is all over this accident in Griswold. In fact, the accident happened early last week, and it's still the top story on News 8's website.

Old 12-12-2010, 12:26 PM

I just have assumptions on that. It just seems when something happens in the suburbs, there's more of an overreactionary behavior than vs. some middle of nowhere town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut