Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 12:27 PM

40 posts, read 134,421 times

Advertisements

My husband and i live in NC and have always wanted to spend Christmas in New England with snow and sleigh rides and hot coco around the fire. We are looking for the best place to do this next year in 2011. Can anyone give us guidence and cost parameters for this kind of thing. We love B&Bs and wou;d probably stay 7-9 days. Could like to learn to ski but very happy looking at snow and reading good book too. My friends on city -data have never let us down yet. All suggestions are appreciated for towns and B&Bs. Thanks in advance for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2010, 12:51 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,688,061 times
Very rare to get enough snow for skiing on Christmas here in CT, I know I know ...'but the Bing Crosby movie makes it look sooo cute'.... I know there are a few B&B along the shoreline... but snow and sleighs???? I thing you should look at Maine for that kinda thing.

Old 12-15-2010, 01:21 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,005,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calicocottage View Post
My husband and i live in NC and have always wanted to spend Christmas in New England with snow and sleigh rides and hot coco around the fire. We are looking for the best place to do this next year in 2011. Can anyone give us guidence and cost parameters for this kind of thing. We love B&Bs and wou;d probably stay 7-9 days. Could like to learn to ski but very happy looking at snow and reading good book too. My friends on city -data have never let us down yet. All suggestions are appreciated for towns and B&Bs. Thanks in advance for your help.
Damn that Yankee Magazine. I guess it's payback for Southern Living.

As was said, you will not find that here around Christmas. Not the sleigh rides anyhow. You CAN find a nice B&B in the Northwest corner with a fireplace, cocoa, white steepled church etc. Skiiing would be a 30 minutes to one hour ish North starting in the Berkshires.

Kent CT is a good place to start. Costs can vary wildly depending on what you want.

I would also recommend Freeport ME and Kennebunkport ME. Both are pretty festive in the Winter and only 2.5-3 hours North of CT.

Old 12-15-2010, 01:58 PM

201 posts, read 727,412 times
If you want snow I'd go to Stowe VT! It's beautiful and quaint with lot's of Inns and B & B.

Old 12-15-2010, 05:14 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,623,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Damn that Yankee Magazine. I guess it's payback for Southern Living.

As was said, you will not find that here around Christmas. Not the sleigh rides anyhow. You CAN find a nice B&B in the Northwest corner with a fireplace, cocoa, white steepled church etc. Skiiing would be a 30 minutes to one hour ish North starting in the Berkshires.

Kent CT is a good place to start. Costs can vary wildly depending on what you want.

I would also recommend Freeport ME and Kennebunkport ME. Both are pretty festive in the Winter and only 2.5-3 hours North of CT.
Yes, while Yankee Magazine is a lovely magazine in many New England homes. It best represents New Hampshire, Vermont, and Maine.

Old 12-15-2010, 05:37 PM

21,619 posts, read 31,202,923 times
I agree with Stowe VT, or even the Burlington area.

Old 12-15-2010, 06:23 PM

625 posts, read 2,050,483 times
As someone originally from Vermont, and still waiting for snow here in Connecticut this year , I would also recommend Vermont. You may want to try Mountain Meadows for cross country skiing, which is right near Killington. Mountain Meadows Cross Country & Snow Shoe Area Several of the lodging places suggested on their website are excellent, so you may want to start there.

Old 12-15-2010, 07:36 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,005,097 times
Okay, gotta highlight one of my choices here. Kennebunkport. They have the Christmas Prelude every year and it's fantastic! Something right out of a Norman Rockwell painting meets fantasy Christmas village. Course I'm sucker for coastal Maine anyway.

Christmas Prelude

Old 12-16-2010, 09:13 AM

856 posts, read 2,015,197 times
Def going to have to go farther north for the sleigh rides in snow but a lot of places have wheeled sleighs to simulate the effect. There are 2 nice inns and a wheeled sleigh company in NW CT.

You may want to check out Jackson, NH in addition to Stowe and points in ME. I'm a fan of their cross country trails. Jackson Ski Touring Foundation® - Jackson, NH - Cross Country and Nordic Skiing and Snowshoeing

Sleigh
Horse Drawn Sleigh Rides in Norfolk Connecticut."

Blackberry
Blackberry River Inn, Norfolk, Connecticut, Bed and Breakfast

Interlaken
Hike and Bike - Interlaken Inn offers over 30 biking and hiking trails in the Litchfield Hills and Berkshires. (http://www.interlakeninn.com/recreation/hikebike.html - broken link)

Old 12-16-2010, 09:53 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,362,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calicocottage View Post
Just to add to what others said above...going north and west for the snow is always the safest bet. Vermont, northern NY, western New Hampshire/Maine will never let you down. Most of the East Coast below Boston only has sporadic snow cover. Here is a current snowcover map if your interested:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut