Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2007, 07:05 AM

943 posts, read 4,258,459 times

Advertisements

What are the decent areas in Bridgeport, Waterbury and New Haven? I am looking for comments and zip codes if possible not the area name because I am not from Connecticut and the neighborhood does not help as much as the zip code. I have heard that there is not a terrible place to live in Waterbury. I guess terrible is relative. Terrible for me is being able to send your 10 year old child to the store 5 blocks away. Is that true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2007, 07:46 AM

2,102 posts, read 7,757,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogplife View Post
What are the decent areas in Bridgeport, Waterbury and New Haven? I am looking for comments and zip codes if possible not the area name because I am not from Connecticut and the neighborhood does not help as much as the zip code. I have heard that there is not a terrible place to live in Waterbury. I guess terrible is relative. Terrible for me is being able to send your 10 year old child to the store 5 blocks away. Is that true?
That's not quite accurate. There are some very safe areas and not-so-safe areas. As a real estate agent, I'm not allowed to give specifics. You might want to call the Waterbury Police Department for further clarification.

Old 07-13-2007, 07:47 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,021,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogplife View Post
The three cities you mention all have 'issues'. I prefer New Haven - Bridgeport second and well guess which one third?

Waterbury in fact has some areas that are not desirable- as do the other places- its just that Waterbury in my opinion is not an attractive place for a multitude of reasons. New Haven has some tough areas with crime- but the city has Yale, an emerging downtown with much culture, and is a better place to live. That being so- parts of New Haven have serious issues yet- so beware of certain areas of the city.

Bridgeport also has some urban problems- and does not have the urban positives of New Haven- yet it is making some progress, and some ok neighborhoods.

Old 07-13-2007, 08:29 AM

34,926 posts, read 56,924,455 times
It is hard to recommend specific zip codes because within many of them are areas you should avoid. I can tell you that in Bridgeport Zip code 06605 is Black Rock which has portions that are really beautiful (waterfront mansions) but also has some areas to avoid. 06606 is generally the north end of Bridgeport which is very nice but there is a section also to avoid there. Same with 06610 and 06604. I would avoid 06607 and 06608 which are the East Side and the East End. These are for the most part inner city areas which could have problems.

To give you a better idea of good neighborhoods, it is easier to name streets. I would say in Bridgeport the North End is mostly very nice generally staying north of North Avenue (Route 1) and west of Main Street is good. Black Rock is very nice west of Brewster Street as well. The Bearsdley Park area north of Route 1 and east of Route 8 is pretty good too. Bridgeport is seeing a lot off redevelopment going on downtown (west of the Pequonnock River and east of Route 8/25) and in the South End (south of the railroad tracks from Bridgeport Harbor to Cedar Creek) but again there are issues here. JMHO Jay

Old 07-13-2007, 10:43 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,003,508 times
Can't do the zipcode thing, it just doesn't jive with reality. Get on Google maps and look around at the areas I'm mentioning.

The far West end of Waterbury bordering Middlebury (Oronoke Road area) is still nice...as is the Bunker Hill area bordering Watertown (Bunker Hill road rt63 area), the East end bordering Cheshire is nice(East Main Pierpont road area), as is the East Mountain area around the resevoir bordering Prospect. (East Mountain Resevoir/Peach Orchard Road)

Taxes in the city are harsh - beware.

Old 07-20-2007, 08:15 AM

17 posts, read 63,838 times
06708 is the zip for bunker hill town plot section of waterbury 06705 is the east end and i believe 06707 is east mountain all very good sections ant other sections you can contact me

Old 07-20-2007, 09:13 AM

54 posts, read 408,411 times
Don't know the zip codes, but out of the 3 choose Waterbury!!! Bucks Hill, Town Plot, some parts of the North End, and the East End. It is the cheapest (low assesment of the houses balance out the property taxes to be decent)...I have been thoughout Bridgeport and New Haven and I hate the 2. My friend just bought a house in Waterbury after living in Bridgeport and it is so much better and worth the commute (only 30 minutes). The not so desirable area's of Waterbury are nothing compared to Bridgeport and New Haven (In my opinion). All 3 cities' schools aren't the greatest, but I'm assuming that Waterbury has the best schools out of the 3. However if you do not like hills, do not choose Waterbury as it has alot of them, when Bridgeport does not have many, and New Haven has more the Bpt, but less than Waterbury.

Old 07-20-2007, 09:23 AM

34,926 posts, read 56,924,455 times
A number of years ago, I was driving some friends from out of state around the Fairfield area and they made a comment on what beautiful neighborhoods Fairfield had. I turned to them and told them that we were in Bridgeport. They were shocked. They had heard so many bad things about Bridgeport they did not expect to see beautiful well-kept homes there. And I was just driving them through Brooklawn and the North End. When I took them to Black Rock, their mouths dropped. Bridgeport has issues, but it has a lot of very nice areas that people forget about. Jay

Old 07-20-2007, 12:17 PM

44 posts, read 325,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
A number of years ago, I was driving some friends from out of state around the Fairfield area and they made a comment on what beautiful neighborhoods Fairfield had. I turned to them and told them that we were in Bridgeport. They were shocked. They had heard so many bad things about Bridgeport they did not expect to see beautiful well-kept homes there. And I was just driving them through Brooklawn and the North End. When I took them to Black Rock, their mouths dropped. Bridgeport has issues, but it has a lot of very nice areas that people forget about. Jay
Great point Jay!

Old 07-30-2007, 09:37 AM

7 posts, read 27,604 times
bridgeport is the nicer of the two because many people dont see the nice pat of bridgeport which is the northend and some of the west end which look better then certain parts of shelton and people who say that bridgeport is bad they dont know nothing because they dont even live in bridgeport to me bridgeport is nice i live there i go out and walk any hours i think why peoplesay bridgeport is bad is that they see alot of black and hispanocs living there.and u cant compare thse other little towns with 33,000 with the biggest city in ct which has about 140,000 people thats about more then 4x the population of these other near by towns. so actually the crime rate is not that bad for a big city like bridgeport......because u could combine shelton trumbull,monroe,derby, and bridgeport will have more residents then all thse towns combined if u live in bridgeport it fell safe to us its just people who no nothing about bridgeport are very quick to give there opinion without knowing anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut