Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 11:18 AM

86 posts, read 380,783 times

Advertisements

I know it might be a difficult question to respond to, so I guess someone who has relocated from NJ or the NYC metro area would be more capable to respond to this easier - no offense intended. But then again perhaps the longtime resident braintrust members here can shed light on this as the forum regulars here are quite informative, intelligent, and very helpful.

"Expenses" or "Different" as in anything other than purchasing a home and minus Fairfield county so this subject has the possible potential of covering a broad spectrum.

I've done some research but I don't want to take any chances on possibly missing anything.

I think that this thread will be well-served for any NJ/NYC area market residents thinking of relocating into CT as well.

I hope that I'm not pressing my "luck" (as if I have any - lol!) to ask this question.

Also forgive me if this question is unrespondable.

Thanks for your anticipated assistance and insight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2007, 11:23 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,019,328 times
Living expenses will be inexpensive as one goes east of Hartford, into Tolland and Windham counties- one will likely need to travel to either the Hartford area or Providence RI for work.

Old 07-13-2007, 11:34 AM

3,219 posts, read 6,580,292 times
For one gasoline is more expensive from NJ prices as well as motor vehicle fees come to mind.

Old 07-13-2007, 11:42 AM

34,918 posts, read 56,910,251 times
Gas is more expensive because we do not have any tolls in the State. If you are a commuter the added cost of gas is offset by the tolls you have to pay elsewhere.

Another thing that we have that New York and New Jersey do not, is that we pay taxes on our vehicles to the town we live in. Cars are taxed just like homes are. On the other hand though, our property taxes are generally lower and we pay no County taxes because we do not have any form of County government.

Jay

Old 07-13-2007, 11:52 AM

109 posts, read 398,189 times
I just read that CT taxes all around are the highest in the country. That suprised me.

Old 07-13-2007, 12:01 PM

49 posts, read 68,541 times
State and local tax burdens: CT 8th NJ 10th Add Fed Taxes to State/Local and you have CT 1st and NJ 3rd. I do believe that NJ also has the highest car insurance rates in the nation as well. CT has emissions testing, I believe NJ does also. Does NJ still have required vehicle inspections?

One gets you coming, the other gets you going.

Old 07-13-2007, 12:07 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,910,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshtpa View Post
I just read that CT taxes all around are the highest in the country. That suprised me.

Yes, there has been debate about how true this really is. A lot of states have hidden taxes and costs that aren't considered. When you think that North Carolina, for example, taxes food purchased in grocery store (this still drives me crazy to hear this) and that a lot of states have highways with tolls or that most people must live in a community with a homeowners association because the towns (or unincorporated sections) do not provide a lot of the basic services needed or that most of the public schools are of questionable quality so you have to send your kids to private schools for a good education, or that the pay in some states are so low that a family can not live comfortably; you have to wonder how valid or important this really is.

Connecticut does pay the highest amount of tax per capita in the country, but that is because it has the highest income per capita in the country(duh...) . So you really have to be careful what you hear and what you believe. I firmly believe you get what you pay for and in Connecticut you pay a lot but you get a lot in return. JMHO Jay

Old 07-13-2007, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trident View Post
State and local tax burdens: CT 8th NJ 10th Add Fed Taxes to State/Local and you have CT 1st and NJ 3rd. I do believe that NJ also has the highest car insurance rates in the nation as well. CT has emissions testing, I believe NJ does also. Does NJ still have required vehicle inspections?

One gets you coming, the other gets you going.
I don't know about those two ratings on how that equates to dollars and cents - maybe very minute.

NJ does have Auto emissions testing where one can get their car inspected at a NJ Motor Vehicle Inspection station at no additional charge or a service station for a charge and anything it would fail for has to be repaired by a mechanic/dealer and returned to reinspect those failure(s). Also the inspection sticker is good for 2 years and 4 years on new cars.

Old 07-13-2007, 12:11 PM

49 posts, read 68,541 times
Correct. These are based on State and local tax burdens: CT 8th NJ 10th Add Fed Taxes to State/Local and you have CT 1st and NJ 3rd. There are so many other factors/fees as JayCT stated.

Old 07-13-2007, 12:16 PM

Here's another comparison from NJ rates: 7% sales tax in NJ verses 6% in CT.

No clothing is taxed in NJ, I don't know about CT though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut