Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 04:58 PM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagan64 View Post
Thanks. I'll do that. I'm not all that concerned about peak travel times. My husband can often adjust his schedule to avoid that. He can either go in early & leave early or vice versa.
Then you might really like Monroe. It's a rural/suburban town just north of the Merritt Parkway. Fairfield is nice but you will not get much for your money ($400k). You have to go north of Fairfield and Easton to get to the reasonably priced towns. So check out Monroe and maybe even Trumbull.

Is the job in southern Stamford (off of 95) or in northern Stamford (off of the Merritt Parkway/15?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by renovating View Post
And, what criteria do you use to measure a struggling childs success?
Lets stay on topic, shall we?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2010, 05:02 PM

38 posts, read 79,598 times
You won't find a standard, objective measure. This kind of information would come from parents whose children have gone through the school system. For instance, I can tell you that my current school system in NJ is excellent for struggling kids because really understand what differentiated education is and they do a great job at it. If there are any parents reading this post who would recommend their school system, then I'd like to hear from them.

Old 12-20-2010, 05:05 PM

I'm sorry, but I don't know which part of Stamford the company is in. Do you have different recommendations for me depending on the location of the company?

Old 12-20-2010, 05:16 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry, but I don't know which part of Stamford the company is in. Do you have different recommendations for me depending on the location of the company?
95 and the Merritt Parkway run parallel to each other, 95 going along the coast, the Merritt being a few miles inland. In Stamford, 95 cuts through the southern section of town while the Merritt goes through central/northern Stamford. To get from the Merritt exit to southern Stamford could be a pain due to lots of lights.

If the job is in southern Stamford, you're better off taking 95. If it's in northern Stamford, you're better off taking the Merritt Parkway. If it's somewhere in the middle, again, Merritt Parkway. Most of the jobs in Stamford, however, are downtown off of 95.

Old 12-20-2010, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
95 and the Merritt Parkway run parallel to each other, 95 going along the coast, the Merritt being a few miles inland. In Stamford, 95 cuts through the southern section of town while the Merritt goes through central/northern Stamford. To get from the Merritt exit to southern Stamford could be a pain due to lots of lights.

If the job is in southern Stamford, you're better off taking 95. If it's in northern Stamford, you're better off taking the Merritt Parkway. If it's somewhere in the middle, again, Merritt Parkway. Most of the jobs in Stamford, however, are downtown off of 95.
Okay. I'll keep that in mind. Thank you.

Old 12-21-2010, 07:49 PM

2,080 posts, read 4,845,409 times
Quote:
You won't find a standard, objective measure. This kind of information would come from parents whose children have gone through the school system. For instance, I can tell you that my current school system in NJ is excellent for struggling kids because really understand what differentiated education is and they do a great job at it. If there are any parents reading this post who would recommend their school system, then I'd like to hear from them.
OK, then it is harder to recommend a school district if you can't clarify exactly how you would measure their success by....the reason I asked for your criteria........

Unfortunately at your price point of 400k, you aren't going to be able to afford Weston, Easton, Westport, or other towns that can really bring the "struggling" student up to par. Based on your other "wants", I would suggest Fairfield, Milford, Stratford, Shelton, or Seymour. These will be long commutes to Stamford (personally, I wouldn't do it) but I think these are the school districts and types of towns you are seeking.

Old 12-22-2010, 12:48 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
OK, then it is harder to recommend a school district if you can't clarify exactly how you would measure their success by....the reason I asked for your criteria........

Unfortunately at your price point of 400k, you aren't going to be able to afford Weston, Easton, Westport, or other towns that can really bring the "struggling" student up to par. Based on your other "wants", I would suggest Fairfield, Milford, Stratford, Shelton, or Seymour. These will be long commutes to Stamford (personally, I wouldn't do it) but I think these are the school districts and types of towns you are seeking.
Fairfield schools are considered excellent and in line with schools Weston, Easton and Westport. The major difference is that Fairfield is a bit more diverse with a wider range of income levels and therefore a wider range of achievement. Plus a commute to Stamford is not bad if he takes the train. Jay

Old 12-22-2010, 06:44 AM

2,080 posts, read 4,845,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Fairfield schools are considered excellent and in line with schools Weston, Easton and Westport. The major difference is that Fairfield is a bit more diverse with a wider range of income levels and therefore a wider range of achievement. Plus a commute to Stamford is not bad if he takes the train. Jay
I agree with you that Fairfield schools are excellent. I ruled out Weston and Easton because the OP didn't seem to want a "rural" setting, and Westport because the OP can't afford it.

Even Fairfield to Stamford for me, would be an awful commute.

Quite frankly if that were my price point, I would look in North Stamford.

Old 12-22-2010, 11:03 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
I agree with you that Fairfield schools are excellent. I ruled out Weston and Easton because the OP didn't seem to want a "rural" setting, and Westport because the OP can't afford it.

Even Fairfield to Stamford for me, would be an awful commute.

Quite frankly if that were my price point, I would look in North Stamford.
Yeah, but then you have the issue of schools. You would most likely have to pay for private schools particularly at the high school level. Plus I am not sure what the OP would get in North Stamford in their price range.

While the commute from Fairfield is not great, a train ride is less than 30 minutes. Most major employers and office buildings offer shuttles from the station in Stamford to their building. The OP could easily have a commute of less than an hour. Jay

Old 12-22-2010, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Yeah, but then you have the issue of schools. You would most likely have to pay for private schools particularly at the high school level. Plus I am not sure what the OP would get in North Stamford in their price range.

While the commute from Fairfield is not great, a train ride is less than 30 minutes. Most major employers and office buildings offer shuttles from the station in Stamford to their building. The OP could easily have a commute of less than an hour. Jay
The reason why I suggested Monroe is because it is affordable for the OP (moreso than Fairfield) and they won't be traveling during peak commuting times. I'm not sure that a maximum budget of $400k will get the OP an acceptable home by their standards.

I can't say I disagree with the suggestion of Stamford, as long as the OP doesn't mind a very diverse school district (wealthy, poor, black, white, yellow and everything in between). Only issue there is, again, home prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut