Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 08:17 AM

2,080 posts, read 3,906,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Find an autoparts store that needs to run parts to local garages...I bet you get hired the next day. You'll get to drive around, sip coffee, see the area and meet nice people throughout the day.
Damn! I think I want that job...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2011, 01:33 AM

202 posts, read 351,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
IMO corporate life is a walk in the park. Professional yet laid back. I'd think a line at BK 8 people deep, buzzers going off, smoke everywhere, managers yelling, etc would be a lot more hectic and crushing than a cubicle where you can sip your coffee in silence.

But that's just me.
well maybe the office jobs you've had. But guess what, you're experience does NOT reflect everyone else's.

Old 01-01-2011, 08:47 AM

8,155 posts, read 20,934,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Being a GOOD cashier is a HUGE responsibility.
Really?

Would you like fries with that?

Seriously though...have you ever thought that perhaps those "Columbians" flipping burgers in the back see the front line as a promotion and step up? I would think the managers do and wouldn't want someone "over qualified" coming in and basically sending the message to the people in the back they have no hope of getting off the line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
It's very easy to say how easy it is to find work, when you're not looking for work.
Oh, don't assume as you say. I'm always 1-3 weeks from my last paycheck. I have to "find work" every day...every single day. If I'm not marketing to new and existing customers, my schedule falls flat and "no work = no eat".

So that's my perspective. Perhaps when you have to do it everyday, you get a bit jaded at the "I put in 10 applications" crowd whining that no one is hiring.

Old 02-02-2011, 06:32 AM

53 posts, read 161,526 times
sorry to drudge up an old thread but OP if you begin working in CT you will never in a thousand lifetimes make enough to leave. My friend Tim got laid off, packed his car and moved to NC and stayed with his sister while collecting $415 a week in CT unemployment. Once you become a CT taxpayer you STAY a CT taxpayer.

Old 02-02-2011, 11:37 AM

2,631 posts, read 6,993,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K2000kid View Post
sorry to drudge up an old thread but OP if you begin working in CT you will never in a thousand lifetimes make enough to leave. My friend Tim got laid off, packed his car and moved to NC and stayed with his sister while collecting $415 a week in CT unemployment. Once you become a CT taxpayer you STAY a CT taxpayer.

I think I know what you mean, if you could please be a little more specific.

I think I know your saying. Are you saying connecticut sees me as a piece of meat to make money off of?

Right now I collect 135$ a week in unemployement and stay with my Mom.

All my money is used into paying bills or whatever I need for survival.

Old 02-02-2011, 12:35 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,083,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K2000kid View Post
So if you start working in Connecticut you can never leave? And the example you provide is of someone packing up and leaving? </confused>

Old 02-02-2011, 05:37 PM

2,631 posts, read 6,993,105 times
I started this thread 2 months ago and still don't have a job as a status update.

Old 02-05-2011, 12:12 PM

53 posts, read 161,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
So if you start working in Connecticut you can never leave? And the example you provide is of someone packing up and leaving? </confused>
Sorry i should have mentioned my friend Tim SOLD everything he had to friends/ebay/craigslist
THEN packed the car and left state with better than $9000

What i was trying to point out to OP is that survival AND saving to move is almost
impossible unless you're single/renting and making $50k a year,

9 dollars an hour does not jive with cost of living here

Old 02-05-2011, 12:26 PM

5 posts, read 31,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post
I started this thread 2 months ago and still don't have a job as a status update.
There's always the military if you're able. They also pay your way through college, and employers love military experience.

Old 02-07-2011, 01:53 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,439,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTnative78 View Post
There's always the military if you're able. They also pay your way through college, and employers love military experience.
This is a great suggestion given the OP's technical background. All of my friends/acquaintances who are enlisted or who are veterans wouldn't trade their experiences for anything in the world. The govt. paid tuition is a nice perk, but the things they talk about most are the friends they made and the good experiences they had after finishing boot camp and doing the work they were trained to do. The majority of my friends re-enlisted after their first few years of service despite cuts to re-enlistment bonuses. If you do choose to walk away when enlistment is up, as CTnative said, many employers give preferential treatment to veterans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut