Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 10:50 AM

83,514 posts, read 75,294,816 times

Advertisements

People need to realize...It is priceless when you know about it many many days before and before any Warnings even come out...I was ready...People need to prepare.

Did they not hear it was going to get bad "after" 3pm Saturday?? Dont get this. Or maybe they simply just want to ignore any weather related extremes. I dont blame them because the track sometimes changes on us; but they were warned Friday by the media.

I also want to ad, people need to stop complaining and learn to survive the way we used to before cars, phones, and calm weather. These will happen more frequently soon.

Go back and read "ALL" my posts...I warned you guys 7 days before!

And if I hear one "what happened to global warming" comment, I'm gonna scream.

With all that aside.... hope you guys are enjoying the weather. Its so relaxing outside I might just set up a tent.

365 days in a year. This happens 3 days a year on average. Not even.

Driveway done...Waiting for city to plow my street...Until then I'll watch them snowmobiling. ..Awesome stuff.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2010, 10:52 AM

Whats more priceless is the characteristics of this storm. Lowest pressure reading was 963. 1993 Storm was 960.

Old 12-27-2010, 11:32 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,858,669 times
remember folks, just because the snows over for now...
the roads (at least in my corner of ct) are still NASTY...even after the plows and sand (salts not budget friendly) the roads around here (even the main ones) are still pretty dicey!

various friends with all and pt 4 wheel have tried to make a break for it to "continue with life" and most get about a mile before deciding to turn around and go home lol.
if you have to go out there today, please take care.

Old 12-27-2010, 12:22 PM

Anything that melts in the sun today will refreeze tonight. Be careful. By next Sunday we should only have a couple inches left on ground. Or maybe the snow pack covering most of the country will keep the air cool.

Old 12-27-2010, 12:24 PM

856 posts, read 2,015,197 times
Ditto...I'm consistently surprised that with Skip Barber in state people don't take professional driver's training or at least practice in empty lots of days like today so they can learn to manuever their vehicles better. Everyone knew this storm was coming and there was plenty of time to hit the store for creature comforts. How hard is it to throw a few gallons of water and some canned foods on your shelf. Those things are usually good for a full year to two. Powdered milk is helpful and if you don't have a gas stove you can get a little adapter tht goes on top of a coleman propane bottle and makes a small stove...lots of people who have been or have a boy scout in the family have them. As far as the heat going out etc. you know it's cold out and snowing so get your house warmed up in advance. I'm a scrooge with the heat (run the heat at 62) but if some serious snow starts I get that thermostat up toward 79; a well insulated house will hold heat for a few hours before you have a serious problem. I guess I've never felt trapped by a storm...one time in college I had to dig out out with a mop bucket but even then I didn't feel trapped...I think people have lost their creativity to survive.

Sorry...I'm stuck at work with people who are complaining...end soapbox...

Old 12-27-2010, 02:04 PM

21,619 posts, read 31,202,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
remember folks, just because the snows over for now...
the roads (at least in my corner of ct) are still NASTY...even after the plows and sand (salts not budget friendly) the roads around here (even the main ones) are still pretty dicey!

various friends with all and pt 4 wheel have tried to make a break for it to "continue with life" and most get about a mile before deciding to turn around and go home lol.
if you have to go out there today, please take care.
I drove from Branford to Oxford and back this afternoon. Main roads were fine; vehicles were moving at the speed limit. The only dicey areas of main roads are where the wind is blowing the snow back onto the roads but that's generally only near open fields. The side roads are still mostly snow covered however.

Old 12-27-2010, 02:10 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,005,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I was thinking the same. She was so inefficient during this whole thing.
She was inefficient her entire run as governor. LOL I'm just waiting for Malloy to dig up all the dirt and blame it on "Republicans" when the reality is Jodi is a RINO to the core and IMHO just skated through her term as governor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetto View Post
This turned out to be. No big deal for us in our little corner of Eastern CT...lots of wind and from the best I can tell, about 9in of snow. Piece O cake!
I got about 12 inches, but I'm on the Eastern Ridge (Think case mountain) about 1000' up. We always get more than central Manchester or other parts lower.

What really screwed me up was the first snow melted here and left the first couple inches hard packed and took scraping with a shovel to get it down so it won't be frozen hard pack in the next few days. I was out there 5 hours today. Then again, I have a big, steep driveway, additional parking area for 3 cars and an RV, and a long sidewalk and open wrap around porch that needs clearing. Bleh...Time for advil and a Newcastle on draft.

Old 12-27-2010, 02:12 PM

im down in faifeild county. bethel/danbury area roads are a major mess right now...hence the "in my corner of the state" weve got alot of drift, the side roads are yicky and the main roads arnt much better.

Old 12-27-2010, 02:16 PM

21,619 posts, read 31,202,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
im down in faifeild county. bethel/danbury area roads are a major mess right now...hence the "in my corner of the state" weve got alot of drift, the side roads are yicky and the main roads arnt much better.
I wasn't disagreeing with you that the main roads up there are bad. I was telling you that not far from there, main roads are okay. The Oxford area got just as much snow as Danbury and had among the highest winds in the state (62mph), so maybe they are just better at clearing the roads than in Danbury. I lived near downtown Danbury for a time and their road clearing left much to be desired.

Old 12-27-2010, 02:20 PM

lol, i agree, they definatly leave alot to be desired...and both bethel and danbruy have completly cut salt out of the budget and have been allotsed 1/2 the normal quota of sand for the year due to budget...so theres alot less sand going down, and a lot less trucks out there putting it down

im not too bothered, we have a small buisness and i do alot of work from home...and after xmas is always dead in downtown bethel so if im snowed in and cant open the store im not too worried lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut