Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 10:53 AM

8 posts, read 14,141 times

Advertisements

JayCT, Thanks for your reply. After I posted this some other threads about Tunxis Hill popped up-I see you've been answering the same questions for years. Thanks for your patience!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 12:28 PM

surfsnowgirl, thanks for your candid reply. I'm going to see for myself this weekend but it's nice to have other perspectives.
I wanted that because when I asked about Tunxis Hill my realtor said "no, I wouldn't advise living there". It didn't really seem logical if the only issues were small houses and a few immigrants in a town overwhelmingly white. If it's run-down that would explain it much better. It's a shame because people seem to really support McKinley elementary school-it sounds like a far more interesting, stimulating place than the other schools.

Old 01-06-2011, 12:35 PM

I wonmder if the new train station opening in November will change things there. I see on the map that TH is VERY convenient for that station. It seems to me that it could transform the area over time.

Old 01-06-2011, 01:55 PM

269 posts, read 607,535 times
Poppopwow,
Did your realtor say why they wouldn't advise living in Tunxis Hill? Where did they recommend looking instead (I know you mentioned having a limited budget so I'm curious as to where they thought would be better but within your price range)? I am a firm believer in seeing for yourself so I am glad to hear you will be doing that this weekend. You might want to look up some houses in your range and park near them and then get out and walk around to get an even better/more accurate feel for the neighborhood.

Old 01-06-2011, 02:12 PM

34,915 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppopwow View Post
I wanted that because when I asked about Tunxis Hill my realtor said "no, I wouldn't advise living there".
I would dump that realtor immediately. They are obviously a snob who knows very little about Fairfield. I would guess they are located at one of the firms in the center of town and won't step foot past Black Rock Turnpike no matter what. Pretty stupid if you ask me. I too would wonder where they would send someone on a limited income. Jay

Old 01-06-2011, 03:26 PM

588 posts, read 1,871,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I would dump that realtor immediately. They are obviously a snob who knows very little about Fairfield. I would guess they are located at one of the firms in the center of town and won't step foot past Black Rock Turnpike no matter what. Pretty stupid if you ask me. I too would wonder where they would send someone on a limited income. Jay
We initially had a problem with this when first looking. Our realtor was a snob and was pushing us into higher priced areas even though our budget was somewhat limited... After telling him our max budget was really our max budget, his response was "well, maybe you shouldn't be looking in Fairfield." We should have dropped him on the spot, but he was a friend of a very good friend of ours... looking back, we should have known he was a crook. He pressured us into 1 place that we backed out of (thanks to a little clause I insisted on when placing the bid), then flat out lied to us and cheated us out of some money he verbally promised.

Moral of the story: don't let a realtor push you around. Take their advice with a grain of salt, and then get another opinion. Oh, and don't get your house inspector via the realtor either - they are usually colluding to get you to pay the most to maximize the realtor's commission.

Old 01-06-2011, 08:17 PM

13 posts, read 25,180 times
I lived in fairfield for 7 years and still have friends in Fairfield and I am there every weekend. I lived blocks away from FHS, right near the old Tunxis Hill Pet Shop. Never had a problem, never was a victim of a crime. I also lived off kings highway right near the bridgeport border and had a few incidents over the years. Nothing major but we had to be wary of property. People filter in from bridgeport in that area so stick to upper tunxis near mckinley and those neighborhoods. There are some nice neighborhoods up behind McDonalds and LC Chens.

By the way, when you're in the area, eat at Pizza Mediterranean.

Old 01-07-2011, 06:09 AM

34,915 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Herper View Post
By the way, when you're in the area, eat at Pizza Mediterranean.
Yeah but the antipasto at Stephano's is the best I ever had and unbelieveably priced for what you get. Jay

Old 01-07-2011, 08:04 AM

87 posts, read 250,068 times
We live in Stratfield and I have several friends who live in Tunxis Hill. All are educated professionals with young children. Two in marketing, one an attorney, one a nurse, one a yoga instructor. I also have a work colleague--an immigrant from Nepal--who lives there with his family. He moved to the US so that his children would be educated here. He works in IT.

While it's true that some of the homes are rundown, it is more diverse (my Nepalese friend could not afford to live in another area of Fairfield, that's for sure) and certainly not a "bad area." I'd say the homes are not as uniformly nice as in other areas. Quite frankly, though, you go to the beach and there are some pretty rundown looking homes there as well (of course the property is worth more).

You really need to visit and see for yourself. I wouldn't worry about crime though.

Old 01-07-2011, 08:36 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,943,271 times
I would second the idea of using a different broker. I hate those brokers that try to make you feel inferior because you can't spend a million dollars for a house in the 'right' neighborhood.

I live in the Stratfield section, and I could afford to live on the other side of town and looked there. But I got so much more for my money here, and my street is much nicer than a lot of the streets in the vaunted "University" area and even some streets that are technically in Southport. I like it on this side of town and wouldn't move at this point.

There's nothing wrong with Tunxis Hill if you choose the right house on the right street. There are certain areas and streets where I wouldn't buy, but there's plenty to choose from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut