Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 09:30 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,416,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trade Wind View Post
He was the last voice of fair and unbiased weathercasting at News Channel 8.
Apparently we have been watching two different Geoff Foxes.

Channel 8 is the epitome of weather hype. I ditched them ages ago. I find NBC Connecticut to have the most even keeled, no-hype meteorologists. To be fair, I never really gave Channel 3 a shot as Scott Haney's song and dance show in the morning was enough to put me off.

I like my morning news to be calm and relaxed. Channel 3 ain't it. Same with Channel 8- before she was booted for shoplifting, that obnoxious traffic lady (Desiree? I think) made me switch to NBC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 09:39 AM

21,615 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
...Scott Haney's song and dance show in the morning was enough to put me off.
...before she was booted for shoplifting, that obnoxious traffic lady (Desiree? I think) made me switch to NBC.
LOL - we agree on all counts.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:41 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,893,696 times
Haney (sorry guys!) and Geoff Fox are/were my favorite weather forecasters, I'll be sorry to see Geoff go. I do also like Dr. Mel, but they need someone else, and Gil Simmons annoys me with his the "folks" this and "folks" that, he's definitely over-dramatic. I find Geoff to be very down to earth, straightforward, and generally accurate. I think Haney is often accurate too, and I just find him to be entertaining. Before Teresa left I used to watch WFSB every morning. But now they have a "hidden" traffic reporter whom I've yet to see, and I can't help wondering why they keep her hidden, poor thing. LOL

I'm getting real tired of all the comings and goings of the anchors on Ct.'s news channels lately. The way Channel 8 is promoting Teresa Labarbera now is just sickening, with all that fake posing and smiling. I liked her much better on WFSB, although of course it's not her fault that WTNH is casting her in that light. Who knows who they might try and replace Geoff Fox with. If I didn't dislike NYC so much I'd consider watching one of their stations instead. Lately I've been watching WVIT/NBC trying to warm up to them.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:45 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,131,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
The way Channel 8 is promoting Teresa Labarbera now is just sickening, with all that fake posing and smiling.
Is it just me or is the outfit she is wearing in those promos a little... unusual... for someone in TV news? Or just unusual in winter? I know I'm in the Scott Haney demographic, but isn't the promotion a little transparant and ridiculous?

Old 01-06-2011, 09:45 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
I like Scot Haney. I find him funny. He is about the only one I do like in the morning. Funny thing is that I have met him in person and he is nothing like the zany personallity he displays on TV. Channel 3 has lost so many key people that I hate watching. Teresa Labarber left for channel 8. Mike Hydeck is gone (why they let him go but kept creepy Al Terzey is beyond me). Rachel Ludscur left a year or so ago. Just too many changes in a short time. Sounds like Channel 8 is starting the same BS. Too bad. Jay

Old 01-06-2011, 09:55 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,358,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post

I'm sure it was. News 8 has always tried to give a Boston/northern New England slant to their reporting and forecasts. Ever see the way Finz reports during baseball season (Sox vs Yanks). It's worse than Michael Kay. Okay, maybe not that bad, but still...
That is my biggest problem with Gil… he tries to create the impression that southern Connecticut is in the same climate zone as the real upper New England states. It’s just not true. The sad part was Geoff was not really a big winter fan they way Mel and “Glacier Gil” are...so one got a unbiased forecast when there was a chance of a little snow.

Also, I notice that LIN (Channel 8 owners from New England) try to stamp out anything “Tri-State” and NYC directed: There could be a bomb threat on the metro North heading into NYC (which thousands of people in southern Connecticut ride on everyday) …but they will tell us instead chickens got loose in Concord, New Hampshire (lol). Connecticut is quite a fragmented place I guess.

Old 01-06-2011, 11:05 AM

470 posts, read 1,664,195 times
This is a shame. I remember being a little kid watching him on TV. When I was in elementary school and people asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up I told them "Geoff Fox". lol.

Old 01-06-2011, 11:15 AM

8,155 posts, read 20,999,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Over my head I guess.
You're the guy that called me his twin. LOL

Old 01-06-2011, 11:15 AM

161 posts, read 389,911 times
My family has a lot of good stories about watching Geoff Fox, even before I was born which was over 23 years ago. As I developed a liking towards WTNH, I watched Geoff cut in my afternoon shows for whatever severe summer or winter storm was on our way. I always trusted what he had to say, and never even thought about flipping channels. Now, I may just look out my window & see what happens.

I wish Geoff the best of luck wherever he goes. Guess I'll just go to bed early since no one else will tell me to stay awake at the 11pm news!

Old 01-06-2011, 11:18 AM

21,615 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
You're the guy that called me his twin. LOL
That's right, hah. Well, farewell!

Last edited by kidyankee764; 01-06-2011 at 11:28 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut