Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 01:19 PM

51 posts, read 194,662 times

Advertisements

I agree. The people in Corolla were down right nice! How many strangers would offer you a job? I had 2 in a week.

Old 09-21-2006, 02:05 PM

4 posts, read 13,369 times
south florida is great in the winter but summers are unbearablly hot. Haven't figured out where to live forever though. Maybe Costa Rica!!!

Old 09-22-2006, 09:43 AM

Default Bermuda

Or tahiti. I guess we shoud resign to the fact that the move doesnt have to be permanent and to go for it.

Old 09-22-2006, 06:34 PM

41 posts, read 84,835 times
Ouch! Poor CT! I grew up in Greenwich and it was wonderful. I must admit that I prefer South Carolina. North Augusta is 2-3 hours from the beaches, the mountains, or Atlanta. Good schools DO exist here, despite reports about our standing nationwide. The quality of life here is, in my opinion, much better for those who yearn for a more peaceful and polite society. My sons say "ma'am" and "sir" just because all the other kids do. I am a kinder person because I live here. It's just contagious I guess.

Old 09-23-2006, 12:35 PM

13 posts, read 46,627 times
Default Planning to make the same move...

My husband and I are going down to the Mt. Airy area in two weeks with the hopes of purchasing a property to retire to from Newtown, CT. We've been exploring the real estate for almost a year and cannot believe the land and home values in NC.

I moved to CT from MA almost 2.5 years ago and love the area however, I find the prices of everything and the taxes unbelievable...and I thought "taxachusetts" was bad. One of my children said I was nuts to move to NC and that it will be too quiet...oh well, I think I can "live with" the quiet beauty of the Blue Ridge mountains...as a matter of fact, I can't wait.
Nereid

Old 09-25-2006, 08:50 AM

I never considered S Carolina as Ive not heard much good about it. Let me know abut Mt airy, looks like a very pretty place.

Old 09-27-2006, 11:33 AM

531 posts, read 2,011,773 times
I left CT about 2 years ago for NC. We moved to the Charlotte area and absolutely love it. I could never imagine going back. People talk about how great CT schools are, but I have to disagree. My son would have never made it out of Kindergarten if we had stayed. He is doing so well in NC and the teachers here seem to be so much more caring about the children.

I pay only 1/4 of the taxes that I paid in CT and still get the same services. It is also nice to see lots of open land and to drive through areas that are mostly farms. Up in CT they have built on almost every available piece of land. We thought we would not make as much money down here, but we were wrong...We actually make more.

And best of all...No Bad Winters!

Old 09-27-2006, 11:42 AM

439 posts, read 721,546 times
North Carolina and South Carolina rank low on a variety of 'quality of life issues'
For those seeking 'cheap paradise' in theses two states- think twice.

Firstly 'polite' as they may seem- for the most part they hate New Englanders, secondly- 'you pay for what you get' low taxes for the most part mean poor local services- I hear you pay 1/4 of the taxes in CT and get all the same services- well my question to you is where is the rest of the money coming from? If you want all these service- is the cost of living 75% lower then in CT-hardly the case. NC and SC have among the lowest SAT scores in the nation. The lowest rates of high school graduation as well as those who complete a degree.

North Carolina rates far below CT on many quality of life issues- schools, libraries, local police and fire protection, programs for kids and seniors, in fact the state ranks in the lower quarter for just about everything. While CT rates in the top 10%-

North Carolina does rate high for religious nutbag kooks, KKK, gay bashing, and right to life birdbrains- they have regressive laws on civil rights for AA, women and gays- but they rank high in hate crimes and lack of protection for gays (near dead last) and womens rights- lots of reactionary rednecks and bigots.

So if you like living in a very upscale area- with little or no diversity- with medicore schools, intolerance toward a variety of minorites- then North Carolina is for you! And South Carolina is even worse!

And lastly crime is much higher on average then in New England-unless you live in one of those conservative bible belt gated communites.

If you like those southern redneck backward bigots so much- then stay- and preach to the choir on the NC board.

Last edited by Dragondog; 09-27-2006 at 12:29 PM..

Old 09-27-2006, 02:42 PM

531 posts, read 2,011,773 times
I wasn't looking to start an arguement with you. I was stating my move to the south has been a good experience. It may not be for you, but others may really enjoy the move and benefit from it. I was trying to share some of my experience with others. By the way, have you ever lived in North Carolina yourself?

I want to comment on some of your claims. Your words "North Carolina rates far below CT on many quality of life issues-schools, libraries, local police and fire protection, programs for kids and seniors, in fact the state ranks in the lower quarter for just about everything. While CT rates in the top 10%" I think you should check into this a little better. I did some checking on line and found that schools in NC are not as bad as you make them out to be. Of the 12 schools in my area, ALL were schools of excellence. There are some areas of NC that are not up to par, but I would not reccommend someone to move to that area. Just like I would not reccommend soemone to move to New Haven or Bridgeport. I also know that CT is one of the lowest rated states for working with children with special needs. NC is in the top 10. The today Show did a segment a while back about Autism in American Schools. They showed CT in the bottom 3 in dealing with, working with and finding help for Autism in the country! NC was in the tops. I have 4 Libraries in this area to use. I often bring my daughter for storytime, yes we do know how to read in the south. On the way home I pass 2 of the 16 Fire Stations in the area. There are 2 more under construction as we speak. I even pass the local Police Station. We do have a few of those too. We even have some local sheriff's office as well. They make sure I feel safe everyday. As for the area offering programs for the children and seniors, you are way off base there. Go online and check into Mecklenburg County Parks and Rec Dept. They offer almost any program you can think of. My in-laws are thinking of moving here because they liked the fact that outdoor programs are offered 10 months of the year.

Again I am going to quote you..."North Carolina does rate high for religious nutbag kooks, KKK, gay bashing, and right to life birdbrains- they have regressive laws on civil rights for AA, women and gays- but they rank high in hate crimes and lack of protection for gays (near dead last) and womens rights- lots of reactionary rednecks and bigots. So if you like living in a very upscale area- with little or no diversity- with medicore schools, intolerance toward a variety of minorites- then North Carolina is for you! And South Carolina is even worse!" OK while I know they held the Gay Pride Parade in uptown, we have a few friends that marched in it. I have not seen any KKK people on my town green. Oh Wait! That was Southington, CT. And didn't one of the KKK leaders live in Bristol, CT? As for diversity in NC...my sons school is 67.81% white...that leaves 32.19% of ethnic backgrounds. In Southington my sons school was 92% white. Where is the ethnic diversity there? Don't believe me...go to the state dept. of educations website. I was just there. The county I ive in is the 16th fastest growing counties in this country. People of all races and backgrounds are coming together here, making this one of the best melting pots I have ever encountered.As for us treating women badly, here are a few women that were voted tops in their companies...notice all are from NC.
Sepi Asefnia, President, SEPI Engineering Group
Debbie Hildebran Bachofen, Partner, Manning Fulton & Skinner PA
Denise Bennett, President, Business Strategies and Focus Visions Mortgage
Marianna Clampett, Vice President, SAS
Suzanne Clifton, President, The Castleton Group and Executive Staffing
Heather Hesketh, CEO, Hesketh, Inc
Beverly Murray, President, R + M
Margaret Nolfo, Counselor, Durham Rescue Mission
Norma Owen, President, Avadon
Katherine Thomas, Manager Economic Development, Progress Energy
Hope Williams, President, North Carolina Independent Colleges and Universities

I will not even dignify your comment on rednecks/biggots with a response. And lastly lets look at the "religious nutbag kooks." Yes we have a lot of churches and places of worship here. But is that not the point? We are in a country where we have the freedom to choose our religion. And when has going to church become a bad thing? It sounds to me like you could use a little Jesus in your life.

Bottom line is this...what may be right for me and my family might not work for you or yours. I do not think there is any one place in this world that is perfect. Every place has a fault or 2. For someone else moving south may be the best thing that ever happens to them, or vise versa. And maybe, just maybe if you were to ever visit this beautiful place, you might find out it isn't some backwards redneck, KKK loving, gay bashing, yankee hating place after all. Have a great day. I am going to go take the kids to the park now.

Old 09-27-2006, 06:26 PM

439 posts, read 721,546 times
The laws in North Carolina speak for themselves- as do the politics- John Edwards is a fine man- but for a state that elected Jesse Helms over and over again that says it all. Religion is a VERY important part of the culture there- to the point where 'science' is disregarded-
And if you are a non believer? What then?

Again North Carolina is one of the least progressive states on just about every major social issue -stem cell research, global warming, gay rights, womens rights- show me one law or attitude that refutes me.....

The state ranks low in education- and outside of the golden triangle the state is basically bible belt right wing reactionary zenophobes that agrees with just about everything Bush says or does. Connecticut rated number 2 for the smartest state, North Carolina was 25th.

North Carolina is unfriendly to gays, has regressive and non progressive laws for yes gays, women and other minorities. The facts speak for themselves.
I am glad you enjoy it there- I have heard horror stories from many who cannot wait to get out- or have left.

As for the climate- the heat and humidity are non relenting from May to October- hurricanes are common as are ice storms. With climate change it will become even hotter with more tropical born disease.

As for the KKK- North Carolina has one of the highest number of members of any state- just some more facts- enjoy your burning cross in the park lady.

A great review of NC fom another site...

Take your pick; North Crapolina, or Norf Cawina! Been here 9 years, glad to be leaving. the people are terribly unfriendly and unwelcoming, the weather is horrible, (that whole perfect medium climate thing is the biggst crock of bull i ever heard) hurricanes, tornadoes, icestorms, severe thunderstorms every day at 2 oclock in the summer, and unbearably hot an humid from may to august. schools are some of the worst in the country, and the teachers are the lowest paid in the lower 48. North Carolina has the highest number of KKK members as well, there was a big meeting of them in downtown raleigh a few months ago. but, of course, the media hushed it up after 2 days and it never made national headlines because for whatever reason, people want to make North Crapolina look good. The only friendly people in all of north carolina are the black people in the country, this is coming from me, the whitest person on earth. Raleigh is no city at all, and there is way to much tension between races, and northern and southern people. I am northern, and i have to actually side with the southern people too, i dont like the trend of northern people moving the south either. And charlotte has one of the highest unemployment rates in the country and a lot of traffic. HOW PATHETIC IS IT THAT THEY CALL THEMSELVES THE BIRTHPLACE OF AVIATION, ORVILLE AND WILBUR DIDNT LIVE IN NC, WEREN'T BORN IN NC, AND DIDN'T BUILD THE PLANES IN NC, SAYING THAT FLIGHT WAS BORN IN NC IS LIKE SAYING THAT THE SOUTH WON THE CIVIL WAR BECAUSE THE FINAL BATTLE WAS FOUGHT IN THE SOUTH! Like a bumper sticker that i saw in a gass station (which is the place to be in most of north carolina0...... North Carolina Pride: #1 in hogs, #48 in teacher pay!........ And Ralph, why don't you share what you think about NC rather than slam me for spelling errors!

Last edited by Dragondog; 09-27-2006 at 06:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut