Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 02:22 PM

24 posts, read 63,227 times

Advertisements

Hello! I am new to the board and hoping someone from Trumbull are could give me some inside info about the town since I am not from CT (from Long Island originally). We are actively looking for a home in Trumbull and want to understand the differences between the neighborhoods. So far, we love Hillendale, Tashua & Nichols too!

What is the big advantages/disadvantages to those 3 places (if any)?

Which area has the better elementary school and why?

Any feedback/advice is greatly appreciated!! Thank you in advance
Isabelle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2011, 02:36 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,131,290 times
I grew up close to the Tashua area. I still have friends and relatives in Trumbull and return frequently. It is a great town-- very family oriented with lots of activities. There is a fair range of housing options but all of them will be on the pricier side with some homes reaching 800K - 1.0M in Trumbull.

Trumbull schools are all very good and you have nothing to fear no matter what school you send your kids too. You will find that likely Tashua Elementary has the best reputation, however, Jane Ryan (where I went) and Frenchtown Elementary are not far behind. There are two middle schools of comparable quality and only one high school. I wouldn't use the elementary school as a determining factor in where you move as they are all reputed to be of very similar quality.

If memory serves Hillendale is a very nice part of town as well with slightly more expensive housing options than in the Tashua area on average.

You really can't go wrong in Trumbull. You've made an excellent choice.

Old 01-09-2011, 06:06 PM

2,080 posts, read 4,843,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idrlindy View Post
Hello! I am new to the board and hoping someone from Trumbull are could give me some inside info about the town since I am not from CT (from Long Island originally). We are actively looking for a home in Trumbull and want to understand the differences between the neighborhoods. So far, we love Hillendale, Tashua & Nichols too!

What is the big advantages/disadvantages to those 3 places (if any)?

Which area has the better elementary school and why?
There are no disadvantages to any of the above neighborhoods...Trumbull is a beautiful town with a ton of amenities.
Nichols is the historic district with a very New Englandy feel. Older homes on smaller lots are mixed in with larger homes. This area has sidewalks, the Nichols Branck Library is walkable from some of the neighborhoods. Hawley Lane shopping is extremely close.

Hillandale (also known as Daniels Farm), Tashua and Nichols are gorgeous...I would go with the house you like best.....

As for the schools, Booth Hill, Daniels Farm and Tashua Elem's are all highly rated.

Old 01-09-2011, 10:04 PM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
I agree that Trumbull is a great town and the nieghborhoods you are looking at are wonderful. It is personal preference that would make the difference between them.

In general I advise people looking in Trumbull to stay north of the Merritt Parkway or West of Main Street. Trumbull borders Bridgeport just south of the parkway. While most of northern Bridgeport is nice, there is a public housing project to the east of Main Street near the Trumbull border. This project has some issues so it is best to stay away from that area if possible. Jay

Old 01-10-2011, 01:41 PM

24 posts, read 63,227 times
Thanks for the responses so far!! Really appreciate your time and thoughts!

Old 09-01-2012, 08:33 AM

57 posts, read 88,298 times
Jay (or anyone else with insight on this), what does anyone think of the small section of Trumbull inside the triangle made up by the Merritt, Rt. 25, and Rt. 8. It's south of the Merritt and east of Main, so would seem to squarely violate your guidance above, Jay. But there are some very cute streets in this little pocket, so didn't know if those highways created any kind of a decent natural buffer, or if this is specifically the area that would be considered less desirable for Trumbull (all things being relative, of course). If my description of the area I'm describing doesn't make sense, it includes Beardlsey Parkway, Rocky Ridge Rd., and Oakridge Rd.

Really appreciate any advice on this. One of those situations where I just haven't lived here long enough to have a good feel for whether this is a no go of an area, even though it's "Trumbull".

Old 09-01-2012, 04:26 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,852,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruuklin View Post
Jay (or anyone else with insight on this), what does anyone think of the small section of Trumbull inside the triangle made up by the Merritt, Rt. 25, and Rt. 8. It's south of the Merritt and east of Main, so would seem to squarely violate your guidance above, Jay. But there are some very cute streets in this little pocket, so didn't know if those highways created any kind of a decent natural buffer, or if this is specifically the area that would be considered less desirable for Trumbull (all things being relative, of course). If my description of the area I'm describing doesn't make sense, it includes Beardlsey Parkway, Rocky Ridge Rd., and Oakridge Rd.

Really appreciate any advice on this. One of those situations where I just haven't lived here long enough to have a good feel for whether this is a no go of an area, even though it's "Trumbull".
The area is fine. The further east that you are of White Plains, the less you'll have to deal with the "noise pollution" of Bridgeport thugs passing through the area.

Old 09-02-2012, 06:58 PM

57 posts, read 88,298 times
Thanks Stratford. Curious if there are any Trumbullites who would speak to whether there's any I'll perception of that neighborhood. Good to know its safe.

Old 09-02-2012, 07:44 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,852,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruuklin View Post
Thanks Stratford. Curious if there are any Trumbullites who would speak to whether there's any I'll perception of that neighborhood. Good to know its safe.
I'm obviously not from Trumbull, but i can say that a typical Trumbull resident's "perception" of Oak Ridge and Beardsley would be that it's a less desirable location.

While not technically correct, if you were to purchase on Rocky Ridge, you could fudge it a little and say that you live in Nichols if you're concerned about how others view your address.

Old 09-02-2012, 07:48 PM

879 posts, read 1,659,529 times
I haven't gotten the sense that that part of Trumbull is bad. The particular neighborhood is older, but I wouldn't feel the least bit unsafe there. I guess my only concern would be proximity to the highways - I'm not sure whether it creates any noise pollution or air quality risks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut