Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 08:25 PM

81 posts, read 615,541 times

Advertisements

Hi all.

My husband and I live in NYC and are looking to buy a home soon. We are considering Connecticut, due to the outrageous home prices/property taxes in Westchester County. We both work in midtown Manhattan and are looking for a three bedroom home. We are looking for recommendations on the best towns with moderate real estate prices (low 400K range) and relatively low taxes. We're looking for a nice diverse working class community. We're also looking to start a family next year, so child care centers and good schools are important.

Based on what I've seen thus far, I know that we will spend a fair amount of time commuting to NYC. We are willing to make the sacrifice for the right place. We would prefer to spend no more than 90 minutes commuting (door-to-door if possible). We work right near Grand Central. It currently takes me an hour to commute on a good day, so an extra 30 minutes isn't bad.

We have a family member in Stratford that I plan on reaching out to; however, I've read conflicting information about the town. I don't want to live in a town where there are nearby pockets of rough areas if I turn the wrong corner. We can stay in NY for that. I hear Trumbull and Milford are nice communities, but I'm not sure about the commute.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2007, 11:27 PM

572 posts, read 2,088,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyan29 View Post
Hi all.

My husband and I live in NYC and are looking to buy a home soon. We are considering Connecticut, due to the outrageous home prices/property taxes in Westchester County. We both work in midtown Manhattan and are looking for a three bedroom home. We are looking for recommendations on the best towns with moderate real estate prices (low 400K range) and relatively low taxes. We're looking for a nice diverse working class community. We're also looking to start a family next year, so child care centers and good schools are important.

Based on what I've seen thus far, I know that we will spend a fair amount of time commuting to NYC. We are willing to make the sacrifice for the right place. We would prefer to spend no more than 90 minutes commuting (door-to-door if possible). We work right near Grand Central. It currently takes me an hour to commute on a good day, so an extra 30 minutes isn't bad.

We have a family member in Stratford that I plan on reaching out to; however, I've read conflicting information about the town. I don't want to live in a town where there are nearby pockets of rough areas if I turn the wrong corner. We can stay in NY for that. I hear Trumbull and Milford are nice communities, but I'm not sure about the commute.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Milford is a very nice suburban town with nice beaches and plenty of shopping and dining along the Post Road (Route 1). The town has recently become an alternative to lower Fairfield County residents tired of the high cost of living.

Driving to NYC during the morning rush hour would be a nightmare on 95 and the Merritt Parkway isn't much better. There is a Metro North station right in downtown Milford and the ride to Grand Central is about an hour and a half.

For 400k in Milford you can get a 2,000 square ft 3br 2 ba home on about .5 acres.

Trumbull is a bit more expensive and the closest Metro North station would be in Fairfield or Bridgeport.

Old 07-17-2007, 02:15 AM

12 posts, read 50,181 times
jeremeyk482,

Are you familiar with the commute along 95 or the Merritt to the Westchester area? I am considering moving as well to Connecticut. (West Haven)

Milford sounds very inviting but unfortunately it is outside of my target and budget. (4br@~300k max) Any feedback is appreciated...

Old 07-17-2007, 05:58 AM

52 posts, read 282,991 times
You may also want to consider heading north. Bethel and Danbury would be within your commute and housing price range. There are a couple of train options so you can avoid the drive. Easiest is to take the train directly out of Danbury or Bethel but if you want a more frequent train, drive to NY state and take the train from one of the stations along the Harlem line. Let me know if you want more information on this area.

Old 07-17-2007, 08:07 AM

34,918 posts, read 56,910,251 times
Have you considered Fairfield? It is a great town with excellent schools, libraries, shopping, restaurants, parks, beaches and family activities. It is really nice. For $400k you could get a nice cape or ranch on a modest lot in a nice neighborhood. The train ride to Grand Central is just over an hour. It is really a great town.

Stratford is a bit of a mixed community. There are really no truly bad areas unless you mistakenly end up on the east side of Bridgeport which Stratford borders. There are many nice neighborhoods and you can do better than Fairfield for what you spend. That said, the schools are a bit mixed. Because of the minority population distribution in town, ther is busing within town to better balance the schools. The high schools also have some issues but they aren't really bad.

Milford is a very nice town too. It is a bit farther from New York, but you will get more for your money there in comparision to Fairfield. you should note though that there are a few neighborhood there that have issues. Good luck, Jay

Old 07-17-2007, 12:36 PM

Thanks for all the information thus far.

My sister-in-law lives in Stratford. She gave me a lot more detail about the area and what areas to avoid. She also indicated that North Bridgeport is pretty nice as well.

Can anyone tell me about the costs of commuting from Stratford to NYC? I believe the monthly pass is about $359 a month. What about parking options? My in-law would get a ride to the station, therefore was unsure of the monthly cost. She believes the daily parking is about $15.

Thanks.

Old 07-17-2007, 01:01 PM

73 posts, read 418,227 times
A good friend commutes from Shelton to NYC daily...He loves the town, and can't say enough good things about it.

Old 07-19-2007, 11:30 AM

13 posts, read 62,741 times
Default to Cyan29 - my recommendation

"City Point" is a neighborhood in New Haven that is a historic district and on the ocean. It is a small but very very nice neighborhood. It is quiet--you wouldn't even know you were in the city. Yet, you are a 2 minute drive from train station and a highways. Homeowners there (including myself) are restoring the old historic houses. If you are coming from New York, I don't think that you would consider it expensive. For example, off the top of my head there is a large single family house for sale for 400,000 and 2 family in the 350,000 range.

I hope this helps!

Old 07-20-2007, 10:29 PM

Default Schools in Stratford

I've narrowed a few homes down that I'd like to view in Stratford. I only wanted to look at homes in the 06614 zip code (the data on the 06615 zip I read did not look good at all). However, I noticed within the 06614 zip there were different school districts. I read somewhere here that the Chapel, Flood, and Bunnell schools were great. However, not Stratford High. It just so happens that the homes I'm really interested in are in the Stratford High district even though there in the 06614 zip (by Winter St. off of Broadbridge Ave.)

My husband and I do not have children yet. However, should I be concerned? Does this mean if you're in the Stratford High zip, your kids are forced to go there? Forgive my ignorance. I went to Catholic schools, thus zoning was never and issue when I was in school. We just want to make the right choice.

Thanks for all the advice thus far.

Old 07-21-2007, 12:47 AM

572 posts, read 2,088,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyan29 View Post
I've narrowed a few homes down that I'd like to view in Stratford. I only wanted to look at homes in the 06614 zip code (the data on the 06615 zip I read did not look good at all). However, I noticed within the 06614 zip there were different school districts. I read somewhere here that the Chapel, Flood, and Bunnell schools were great. However, not Stratford High. It just so happens that the homes I'm really interested in are in the Stratford High district even though there in the 06614 zip (by Winter St. off of Broadbridge Ave.)

My husband and I do not have children yet. However, should I be concerned? Does this mean if you're in the Stratford High zip, your kids are forced to go there? Forgive my ignorance. I went to Catholic schools, thus zoning was never and issue when I was in school. We just want to make the right choice.

Thanks for all the advice thus far.
I'm not sure about Stratford in particular, but I do know that in most towns that's how it works. Your kids will go to the school in your area or "zone".

I'm sure you will like Stratford. It's very affordable for Fairfield County and the people there are friendly and down to earth.

Good luck with your move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut