Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2011, 01:05 AM

52 posts, read 142,745 times

Advertisements

The Tobacco Shop at 55 Asylum St., a smoky Hartford oasis for pipe and cigar smokers that was founded in 1920, will close March 31.

O. F. Stengelin Cutlery on Old Bank Lane, a business that dates to 1898, will close in March.

The stores' owners say they're quitting business because they can't afford a stiff rent increase by the building's owner, Grunberg Management LLC. Other building tenants are also facing rent hikes, but did not want to comment because they are still negotiating with Grunberg Management.

Good job Grunberg (Mis)Management. Way to put more local, loyal mom & pop businesses out of business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2011, 09:10 AM

856 posts, read 2,015,197 times
This makes me grouchy too...and expect it to be worse...the grocery store opening in the XL center/hartford 21 building should be occupied within the next year but I would imagine for the deli that just went in across the street that is going to spell vacancy. It just seems to be a losing battle...

Old 01-18-2011, 10:38 AM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times
I read the article in the Courant and it made me wonder why the businesses just don't relocate. There are vacant storefronts in the area and there is nothing preventing them from moving to one of them. I would bet they could even get financial assistance from the city and the building owners to help with the moving costs. It sounds to me like the Courant may have been exagerating a bit to make a story. A tobacco shop and a knife store are kind of out of style businesses that may have seen better days economically. JMHO, Jay

Old 01-19-2011, 12:56 PM

470 posts, read 1,665,247 times
I work on Pratt St and it's VERY sad. Every other storefront on this street is empty. I thought Pratt St was supposed to be some kind of center of Hartford with the brick pavers and the fancy lights.

Old 01-19-2011, 01:45 PM

It is sad...everytime we find a place for happy hour they seem to end up closing...I miss sweet Jane's big honking basket of tater tots...I miss Blu having happy hour local artists...it was nice to get a dollar sundae at McDonalds...even that's gone.

Old 01-19-2011, 06:11 PM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times
Unfortunately, this problem is happening everywhere. It has to do with banks not extending credit to small businesses when they need it most. once your credit line dries up a small business is sunk. They are unable to buy the things they need to stay in business, even fi they are generally considered successful. IT is very sad that this is happening but that is what happens when big banks are allowed to gobble up smaller regional or local banks. Jay

Old 01-19-2011, 11:23 PM

331 posts, read 639,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Unfortunately, this problem is happening everywhere. It has to do with banks not extending credit to small businesses when they need it most. once your credit line dries up a small business is sunk. They are unable to buy the things they need to stay in business, even fi they are generally considered successful. IT is very sad that this is happening but that is what happens when big banks are allowed to gobble up smaller regional or local banks. Jay
Agreed. It's also bad for average Joes. Same reasons, really.

Old 01-20-2011, 07:52 AM

It's very true and it's very sad. Those small business horde what little capital they have rather than reaching out with experimental inventory items..eventually driving their regular customers away. With the bars/restaurants those loans are important to making payroll and when you can't staff your kitchen you're sunk. I sort of expect it to get better tho...some credit companies are beginning to send applications to business again and some area banks/credit unions are beginning to advertise business loan rates again. The key to getting a loan for business is to think ahead with the project plan...not just what you'll do to open and operate but how will you make it better in 6 months or a year.

Old 01-21-2011, 03:24 PM

327 posts, read 1,119,316 times
Oh man I loved that tobacco shop. I usually go there a few times month when the weather is nice and get a stoggie to enjoy in the park. Damn!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
View detailed profiles of: