Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 07:53 PM

5 posts, read 17,155 times

Advertisements

My husband and I currently live in Ann Arbor, Michigan. I've lived here since about 2000 when I matriculated to the University of Michigan; I am originally from Northwest Indiana. My place of residence is quite small (about 600 square feet), which has allowed me to save a fairly substantial down payment and seriously consider a move.

Ann Arbor is actually quite interesting, but I do not like the direction in which the economy in the state of Michigan is going. Housing is dirt cheap, which is disconcerting--a 3,000-square-foot home for $125,000 surely will not hold its value well. Also, the schools aren't as good as they could be.

After a decent amount of research, I narrowed down my choices to Connecticut and Maine. A friend told me about the Hartford area; my husband and I drove down a couple months ago to check it out. West Hartford is nice, as is Farmington, but I could really deal without the high prices. Burlington, a somewhat rural town by Farmington and Bristol, caught my eye. It seems to be very clean and woodsy, both of which I love. The homes are mostly Colonial-style, and they seem to be set on larger lots.

Would a four-bedroom house in a decent neighborhood for about $425,000 be out of the question? I like some of the homes on Hart St. and Larkspur Ln., but I am aware that the kitchens and bathrooms are somewhat dated. I wouldn't mind remodeling, but would I get my money back? Are these neighborhoods quiet and kid-friendly?

I am a pharmacist, so I could find work anywhere. In fact, I've applied for a job in Bristol, CT; I have heard that Bristol is a bit sketchy, though. Is this true? My husband's best friend lives in Detroit, so I know crime, and I doubt the skethy areas of Conneticut (besides, perhaps, New Haven) could make me bat any eyelash. However, for the amount of money I'm willing to spend, I want safety for my future children (I'm pregnant with twins).

Does anyone live there or have friends/family that live there? Any thoughts, suggestions, comments, or concerns? Any of the like would be greatly appreciated.

Additional comments and questions:
-- What are the schools like? They don't have to be the absolute best in the state, but I want them to be reputable and safe.
-- I do not have a car, and my husband usuaully drives me to work at the moment. I know I will need one, but is all-wheel drive a necessity? I am considering the Honda Odyssey, which is a large, heavy vehicle, but would it work in the snow? My husband's Subaru Legacy works fine here, and it's fairly snowy.
-- Snow does not deter me.
-- Is there any good shopping nearby? I am aware that Burlington has a dearth of shops, but what about Avon/Farmington? I assume there is high-end shopping.
-- Any other neighborhoods worth considering? I'm sure there are, I just didn't drive through the entire town.

Last edited by Jenise82; 01-20-2011 at 08:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2011, 09:40 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,903,161 times
So many questions. Burlington is a great small town. It is on the outer edge of metropolitan Hartford and is becoming one of the more desirable places to live in greater Hartford. It is very safe. I know several people there and they love it. The schools are very good and it is a great place to raise children. There is upscale shopping nearby in Farmington and on Route 44 in Canton and Avon. West Farms Mall and West hartford Center (both also upscale in character) is also not that far from Burlington. For more down to earth needs there are the strip malls along Route 6 in Bristol. I know there are homes in your price range there but whether they fit your needs and desires, only you can tell.

As for Bristol, it is a small older manufacturing city that has seen better days. Its main claim to fame now is that it is the home of ESPN which is located on the very southern edge of the city. Bristol itself is not unsafe. It has a couple of sketchy areas but nothing along the lines of Detroit or Hartford. Working there during normal hours should be no problem at all. In fact some of the retail areas are pretty nice.

As for the need for AWD, after the last couple of weeks many will say you need it (we are really being hit with snow this year). In reality though we do not get that much snow each year so you do not need it. that said it is nice to have for the occasional storm we do get. I hope this helps, Jay

Old 01-20-2011, 10:46 PM

9 posts, read 17,922 times
Well, Burlington is a best place with beautiful people. Town of Burlington is miles of forest, watershed land and unique blend of neighborhood. The town of Burlington is a multi-layered community and a close limit group of families. It is a best place to live according to me.

Old 01-23-2011, 01:03 PM

I got the job in Bristol, and I start in four months! I am beyond thrilled. I would like a house before then--I've rented a tiny house for four years, I really don't want to rent again. I won't rush into a decision, but I can't take my sweet time, either.

I still like the homes on Larkspur Lane/Hart Street/Merriman Drive, even though some of the interiors date back to 1994 or so. Homes of that era, while certainly not ancient, have dated bathrooms, kitchens, windows, furances, and so forth. A furnace from 1994 obviously won't be a deal-breaker, it just won't be as efficient as a furnace from 2011.

Speaking of 2011, the brand-new homes in the area are stunning. Angelas Way has some beautiful, beautiful residences, but $500,000 is over my budget. My husband is an handyman, and he has bad credit, so the house, as well as the other loans this family takes, will be in my name. I personally don't feel comfortable with spending a penny over $425,000; that figure will allow my husband and I to buy nice things without feeling house-poor. The real estate here is much pricier than that in Michigan, and it's still a bit of a shock. I am aware that the prices are reasonable for Conneticut, but this area is new to me.

I am also aware of the fact that Burlington is over 95% white. My husband is from Sierra Leone, I am white (Indianapolis native), and my children will (obviously) be biracial. I'm not one to make a huge stink about diversity!, seeing as I'm not moving to a notoriously racist area. If my children are the only [half] black kids in school the world will continue to turn, it will just be an issue to which my family and I will need to become accustomed. I think the fact that my kids will be caramel-colored and able to speak Kreo will be even cooler in such a white, homogenous area.

I'm elated to move to such a scenic, clean, sparsely-populated, and classy area. The driving and the lack of diversity don't bother me in the slightest.

Old 01-23-2011, 05:06 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,903,161 times
I would not consider a home built in 1993 to be dated. You are moving to a part of the country where homes commonly date back anywhere from 80 to 200 years. Just because the home will not be brand new does not mean it is no good.

Also I honestly think that the energy efficency of a 1993 home is not much better than a 2011 home as long as the home is of quality construction. Builders and contractors tell you that you need to update for energy efficency but it really is just a way to get you to spend money. There is a commercial here for windows that says that the windows in a 1993 should be replaced. I can't believe people fall for this stuff. Our neighbors spent thousands replacing windows on their 15 year old home a few years ago to be more energy efficent but their old windows were double pane and they had storm windows. Their new windows are triple pane but don't have storms. Guess what, they notice no difference in energy useage. I could not believe they fell for the salesman's line.

Anyway, as for Angela's Way, I have heard mixed things about the quality of homes there. My friend who lives in Burlington was looking to upgrade to a large home and looked there but he was not impressed. He is pretty fussy though so you may want to judge for yourself. Jay

Last edited by JayCT; 01-24-2011 at 06:29 AM.. Reason: Corrected spelling error

Old 01-23-2011, 05:36 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,186,278 times
Burlington is a nice, rural town - I head up there about once a month because a good friend lives there. I'm not sure I'd call it one of the most desirable places in greater Hartford, but it's scenic and a safe town.

Be careful when looking at homes there though. A lot of the newer homes built in town have a "tacky" look and in some of the developments, developers seemed to want to cut corners.

Overall a nice place to live. Good luck.

Old 01-23-2011, 06:08 PM

I understand that 1993 isn't that old, I don't mean to sound ridiculous, it's just that a new home would be my first choice. A twnety-year-old home or so would be fine, though.

Old 01-23-2011, 06:44 PM

Oh, did I say I was from NWI? Oops, I lived there in high school but I'm really from Indy.

Old 01-24-2011, 02:52 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,939,398 times
Burlington is definitely a great town for those who prefer semi-rural living with extremely low crime, good schools and natural beauty. I say go for it!

Old 01-30-2011, 01:32 AM

12 posts, read 55,407 times
Maybe you should forget about Akon and do your thing. Yes, I am aware Akon is from Senegal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut