Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 01:18 PM

34,914 posts, read 56,893,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
That's a fair enough explanation as to why you rely on the scores, but you did say if good schools are what you're looking for, you should look elsewhere besides Hamden. That did insinuate you didn't think the schools are good - at least that is how I read it. I guess my concern is that whenever someone comes from out of state and they hear how a school is based on test scores, they don't realize the entire student body. Hamden, Stamford, Shelton, and Stratford will always have low test scores. But people don't know that those towns serve every economic level from wealthy to welfare assistance.
You make a very good point. The OP though asked if the schools were good and I should not have impied that they were not. Again though usually someone who is looking for good schools will be looking for a system that performs better than average. I will watch my future comments in that regard. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 05:20 PM

2,080 posts, read 4,843,561 times
Quote:
But you need to stop basing school systems on CMT scores. I have seen you judge many a school that scores low on CMTs due to socioeconomic factors, but not mention that most of those schools have exceptional programs and services that you can't find in other parts of the state or the country.
If a school has exceptional programs, the CMT scores should reflect that.

CMT/SAT/school scores matter.

Old 01-27-2011, 05:29 PM

21,615 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renovating View Post

New Canaan has mandatory SAT prep courses factored in during the school day for students about to take them. So does Fairfield. I'd assume Trumbull, Amity and Ridgefield offer them as well. I doubt Bridgeport does. Ansonia probably doesn't, neither do East or West Haven. Do you see a pattern here?

When affluence goes up against working poor, the latter certainly won't come out on top.

Old 01-27-2011, 08:03 PM

2,358 posts, read 2,181,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
So does Fairfield.
Is this new? When I went there, not that long ago, we didn't have mandatory SAT training. We did have prep courses for the CAPTs but it was a single day around sophomore year.

~Cheers

Old 01-28-2011, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeker2211 View Post
Is this new? When I went there, not that long ago, we didn't have mandatory SAT training. We did have prep courses for the CAPTs but it was a single day around sophomore year.

~Cheers
They do, at Warde at least. It's a part of their regular day - teachers take a break from their daily lesson and go over practice SAT questions. In math classes, they cover the math section, in reading classes, they cover that portion, etc. They do it the same way in New Canaan as well.

It's great for test preparation but it certainly gives students an edge over other districts who don't have these materials. Also, in New Canaan, 3/4 of the students had their own private SAT tutors hired by their parents.

Old 01-28-2011, 07:45 AM

12 posts, read 23,466 times
Any suggestions of any towns west rather than east? From what I understand, I can get a little more for my money if I head west...still looking for good schools and family friendly area. Oh! And I guess I should probably clarify what I mean for "good schools". I want my kids to get an excellent education, but not freel pressured for Ivy League (even in elementary school) and not to get swallowed up in a system where the majority of the kids come from money and may have additional help/privledges that we may not necessarily be able to provide. So great education, decent class size, minimal crime, parent involvement but not where each family makes $500K and they feel like they don't belong there.

Again, thank you to everyone for their input. Altough it's confusing and has made our decision very tough, it's valuable information.

Old 01-28-2011, 07:57 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,893,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberline18 View Post
Any suggestions of any towns west rather than east? From what I understand, I can get a little more for my money if I head west...
That's not really true. The further west you go, the closer you are to NYC, and real estate soars. You could go a bit further north, maybe to Newtown, Brookfield or Cheshire, but it would dramatically increase the commute time, and home prices really don't go down there, it's probably even more expensive than the towns already discussed. You might look further east though, such as Branford. But again, you would be increasing the commute time.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:30 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,621,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberline18 View Post
Any suggestions of any towns west rather than east? From what I understand, I can get a little more for my money if I head west...still looking for good schools and family friendly area. Oh! And I guess I should probably clarify what I mean for "good schools". I want my kids to get an excellent education, but not freel pressured for Ivy League (even in elementary school) and not to get swallowed up in a system where the majority of the kids come from money and may have additional help/privledges that we may not necessarily be able to provide. So great education, decent class size, minimal crime, parent involvement but not where each family makes $500K and they feel like they don't belong there.

Again, thank you to everyone for their input. Altough it's confusing and has made our decision very tough, it's valuable information.
Then you should probably avoid most of Fairfield County or at least the coastal towns. My sister wouldn't move out for the world - it is a great place - but trying to convince her son to apply to UCONN was a bear because it was looked down upon by him and most of his class. Kind of surprising in this economy. It will probably be better in Fairfield and Trumbull, but I can't be sure.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:31 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,621,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renovating View Post

Not necessarily because not all students are going to take the opportunity.

Old 01-28-2011, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Then you should probably avoid most of Fairfield County or at least the coastal towns. My sister wouldn't move out for the world - it is a great place - but trying to convince her son to apply to UCONN was a bear because it was looked down upon by him and most of his class. Kind of surprising in this economy. It will probably be better in Fairfield and Trumbull, but I can't be sure.
I agree, though Fairfield can be quite pretentious.

I still say the towns right around Shelton are best for the OP: Orange, Oxford, Trumbull and Monroe. Not as expensive as most of FFC, great schools that aren't pressure cooker, and all very nice towns. Seymour is decent, as is Shelton itself, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut