Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2011, 08:19 PM

3 posts, read 19,555 times

Advertisements

I am taking a job in Hartford and think I have narrowed down the area that I would like to live to West Hartford. I have been looking into the apartments at Blue Back. I know they are priced on the higher and but I have had a tough time finding any reviews of these apartments. Does anyone have any insider information on the complex? Are most of the tenants generally happy? It appears (to a non-native of the area) as though many of the popular restaurants/dining and cultural activities are centered around the Blue Back/West Hartford Center area. Is that the case or am I misinterpreting much of what I have read? Any information is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 07:51 AM

34,915 posts, read 56,893,272 times
The apartments in Blue Back Square are relatively new. I believe most people that moved in there have been there less than two years. I would htink that if there was a significant problem there would be a lot of posts on different review boards. People tend to post only when they have a complaint. That said the Blue Back Square/West Hartford Center area has become the hip and happening place for the region. That is why rents there are pricer. Only you can decide if that extra cost is worth it. Jay

Old 01-26-2011, 08:29 AM

83 posts, read 226,507 times
The area is beautiful of course. I've been in a few of those lofts though and was surprised at how small they are. Especially for the price. If it is feasible you should definitely visit the place before you make a decision.

Old 01-26-2011, 09:18 AM

625 posts, read 2,049,615 times
Hartford Medic brings up a good point, the units are small based on the rental amount. They also don't have full walls for the sleeping area, so if you want a completely closed off bedroom, they may not work for you. That being said, they're one of the only "new" options in West Hartford for apartments and the location is really convenient and walkable for groceries, restaurants, small shops, public transportation downtown.

Old 01-26-2011, 11:00 PM

3 posts, read 19,555 times
Thank you for your replies. I will definitely try to take a look before I commit. Are there any other comparably equipped apartment complexes in that area? It seems as though many of them are much older.

Old 01-27-2011, 12:25 AM

625 posts, read 2,049,615 times
You could look to see if there is anyone looking to rent their condo at Blue Back (The Heritage) which would be new construction. Not sure that there is at this time, but this is the only other "new" option in the Blue Back/Center area. You could also try Realtor.com and Craigslist to see if anyone else has an updated condo near the Center that would work for you. You may actually be able to find something for around the same amount as you would pay at The Lofts. Other options would be the various buildings in Downtown Hartford (Hartford 21, Lofts at Temple & Main) or The Hawthorne in Bloomfield, which is nice, but a bit removed from things (ie- you'd need to drive everywhere).

Old 09-29-2011, 08:24 AM

1 posts, read 8,909 times
I have lived in Blue Black Square for about 6 months and should warn you there are a number of basic amenities missing from this "luxury" apartment. Be aware that while you get heated bathroom floors you will not get a microwave or energy efficient appliances. (So while they have "electric car chargers", they forgot the basics to make the apartments more functional and energy efficient for their tenants).

The best thing about living here is the location. It cannot be beat. There are a number of great restaurants in walking distance and it is convenient to the highway. However, there really are no community/building amenities like many other apartments. (i.e. business center, community room, 24 fitness access, pool etc).

A couple other basics - there is no mail pickup, so you still need to make a trip to the post office to send mail or packages. The HVAC (heating/air conditioning units) are massive and straight from the 1960s. (I didn't think they even made those anymore). The space is tight to begin with and instead of installing a more discreet looking unit they have a massive wall unit that sticks out about 6 inches from the wall and is two feet long. They selected cheap over quality and considering what would be nice for tenants.

A few tenants told me you really cannot make a request or ask for anything from the leasing office because they respond with an attitude and will not follow up.

Be prepared to pay a lot for minimal space that is not planned efficiently. There are no built in cabinets or shelves and there is little closet space or room for storage. However, they do generously offer a small storage unit for another $45/month.

Also, the complex has worked out a deal for you with Comcast, so your options are limited. They will not allow you to work with another provider, like Dish or Direct TV.
On a positive note, the maintenance man is fantastic! He responds to calls almost immediately.
Depending on where you have lived, you may find they use the word “luxury” loosely. Hopefully this will help you negotiate. Good luck!

Old 09-29-2011, 08:26 AM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
Holy VB code, Batman!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut