Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 06:29 AM

8,155 posts, read 20,999,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I'm good friends with someone from Dedham and he very much says "Bahstin" and "cah" and "pahty". Perhaps you just don't notice it since you've lievd there for many years, but to someone from Connecticut with the standard accent (or rather, no accent at all), it's certainly noticeable.
Absolutely. Boston has one of the thickest accents in the nation. Akin to a deep hard Alabama accent as far as "thick".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbK4cL3QSc0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_S43tPbouo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wy9cKT3_85Q

New TOH BC3 Multiple Video Player

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2011, 07:05 AM

1,351 posts, read 2,690,667 times
"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_S43tPbouo"

i lived in Framingham for a while and this is so true. even the town names that end in 'ham' aren't consistent. on one hand you have Framingham and Bellingham where 'ham' is pronounced as you'd expect but then on the other you have Ashburnham, Chatham, Dedham where 'ham' is pronounced 'um'. although looking at the names, the pronunciation probably depends on the letter that appears just before the 'h'.

Old 02-01-2011, 07:15 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,416,528 times
Woburn and Leominster are my favorite Mass. towns to listen to people try to pronounce.

Old 02-01-2011, 07:42 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,893,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rranger View Post
Now people DO say "The Oiland" all the time (from personal experience)
I really notice both NY accents as well as Boston accents. Here in FFC we have so many NY transplants I hear it all the time. "Give me a coh-ul". (call) or they say "oiland". When my daughter was growing up she pronounced "boss" "boiss" once, and I said, "what!? It's boss", and she replied, but everyone else says "boiss!" LOL

Old 02-01-2011, 07:47 AM

21,616 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
I really notice both NY accents as well as Boston accents. Here in FFC we have so many NY transplants I hear it all the time. "Give me a coh-ul". (call) or they say "oiland". When my daughter was growing up she pronounced "boss" "boiss" once, and I said, "what!? It's boss", and she replied, but everyone else says "boiss!" LOL
This is so true. That's how it was when I was living in Shelton, and same thing in my parents community in Oxford - lots of NY accents. Southwestern CT is really inheriting the NY accent, like it or not.

Old 02-01-2011, 12:05 PM

834 posts, read 2,277,609 times
There is a Boston accent and then there is the accent people use when they THINK they are mocking a Boston accent. THAT accent is always wrong.
I know living down south I used to cringe hearing someone think they were imitating Boston or New Jersey. So, so off it wasn't funny.

The word Boston itself is more of a Baw-stin sound. There is a distinct aw sound in there. Not as harsh as a NY accent, but a definite AW. Bawstin. Where when people think they are imitating the accent, it sounds more like Baaaahhhhston. Like a sheep saying Baaaaa. Very annoying!

And I've found with NY accents, switching the OI sound with the ER sound as in Long Oiland=Long Island and "terlet" for toilet seems more common with people over the age of 70. I haven't heard younger generations talk that way, though I'm sure they exist. I've just never heard the Archie Bunker accent on someone not on Social Security. I guess accents change over time.

Last edited by Yankeerose00; 02-01-2011 at 12:17 PM..

Old 02-01-2011, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeerose00 View Post
The word Boston itself is more of a Baw-stin sound. There is a distinct aw sound in there. Not as harsh as a NY accent, but a definite AW. Bawstin. Where when people think they are imitating the accent, it sounds more like Baaaahhhhston. Like a sheep saying Baaaaa. Very annoying!
I somewhat disagree. It's not "ba ba sheep" but the "aw" is more NY to me than anything. NY's would say it Bawstin. "Bahstin" with a light "ah" in there is how I've always known it. Have you never seen the shirts "Welcome to New England - begin dropping your R's as you go North"?

This video is pretty telling IMO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbK4c...layer_embedded

New Jersyites just forget the H sometime. "Ey, dat thing is friggin UGE". LOL

Old 02-01-2011, 12:49 PM

21,616 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
New Jersyites just forget the H sometime. "Ey, dat thing is friggin UGE". LOL
Sounds like de, uh, Nagatuk/Watabury accent (which is ironically similar to the Yonkers, New Rochelle and Riverdale accent).

Old 02-01-2011, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Sounds like de, uh, Nagatuk/Watabury accent (which is ironically similar to the Yonkers, New Rochelle and Riverdale accent).
Must be something that follows the Metro North line.

"a, we give each udder terapy, you no what I'm sayin"?

Old 02-01-2011, 06:30 PM

834 posts, read 2,277,609 times
Quote:
I somewhat disagree. It's not "ba ba sheep" but the "aw" is more NY to me than anything. NY's would say it Bawstin. "Bahstin" with a light "ah" in there is how I've always known it. Have you never seen the shirts "Welcome to New England - begin dropping your R's as you go North"?
I know exactly what you mean. I know it's not a hard AW sound like NJ/NY. It's so hard to write the exact sound. But for some reason when people not from the area try to imitate the accent, they get it so wrong. I'll say something about us going to Boston and hear "Oh Baaaaa-ston?" It's mostly been when I've come across people from the south or even mid Atlantic states. Not anyone from CT. Just a pet peeve of mine. Just like when people say Joisey.

When I lived in the south, many people swore that the NY/Boston accent sounded the same. If they heard it on TV, they couldn't tell the difference. I was like noooooo. How could anyone confuse the two? Totally different accents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut