Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 01:13 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,832,669 times

Advertisements

If you want to see what happens when all welfare is eliminated all you have to do is visit a country where that already happens. Some countries I suggest you visit are Mexico, Morocco, India, Pakistan, Vietnam, most of the Caribbean, and most of South America.

If all welfare was eliminated we would have a class of thieves running around America. We'd have to double the police force to catch all of them.

The welfare to work programs are a good idea. That will never happen though, as the jobs they could do are already being done by union Govt employees. Also, sending welfare people to work minimum wage jobs doesn't help anyone. How are they going to get off welfare earning $8.25 an hour?

If they were being trained for high wage jobs such as construction I'll bet some of them will get off welfare though. Never made any sense to me to send welfare people to minimum wage jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 01:26 PM

834 posts, read 2,278,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
If you want to see what happens when all welfare is eliminated all you have to do is visit a country where that already happens. Some countries I suggest you visit are Mexico, Morocco, India, Pakistan, Vietnam, most of the Caribbean, and most of South America.

If all welfare was eliminated we would have a class of thieves running around America. We'd have to double the police force to catch all of them.

The welfare to work programs are a good idea. That will never happen though, as the jobs they could do are already being done by union Govt employees. Also, sending welfare people to work minimum wage jobs doesn't help anyone. How are they going to get off welfare earning $8.25 an hour?

If they were being trained for high wage jobs such as construction I'll bet some of them will get off welfare though. Never made any sense to me to send welfare people to minimum wage jobs.

I see what you are saying and it's probably true. But that only pisses me off even more. So basically our options are pay someone to not work or they are going to come after us. It's these theories that basically say people on welfare are NOT honest, hardworking people who are just down on their luck and need temporary assistance. They are dangerous people that will hurt you if they don't get what they want. But if you come right out and say that, you are a bigot and a cold hearted person.

I don't care who agrees with me. IMO a smaller percentage of people on welfare are just down on their luck and need help and actually want to earn a living. I believe most people on welfare are just repeating what their parents have done. Don't know any better and don't care to.

Old 02-02-2011, 02:14 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,134,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeerose00 View Post
I don't care who agrees with me. IMO a smaller percentage of people on welfare are just down on their luck and need help and actually want to earn a living.
The majority of welfare recipients are children, which doesn't jive too well with your theory.

Old 02-02-2011, 03:57 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,085,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeker2211 View Post
Tx has a massive deficit for the next few years, its' highest grossing industry might suffer another bust but almost everything in the state is dependent on it. As well it is on the way to having a nearly unemployable generation, true destitution is running on, and health care there is notably atrocious.
I've lived in Texas, my wife's family lives in Texas and I can tell you from personal knowledge that this is misleading. The Texas economy has its up and down cycles, but it is far more resilient than the economies of states like CT. In the overall business cycle, Texas will downturn later than other states, and it will recover before most other states. Additionally, the cost of housing, the overall tax burden, and other important elements of the overall cost of living are much lower in TX, so you can live comfortably on significantly lower incomes than you need in CT.

The health care facilities in the major cities in Texas are world class, too.

Old 02-02-2011, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I noticed that on a couple of properties that I know have stunning views of Hartford their land appraisal is higher. That maybe what the owner is talking about but there is no separate "view tax".
Seems to me that's a distinction without a difference.

Old 02-02-2011, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post
I've lived in Texas, my wife's family lives in Texas and I can tell you from personal knowledge that this is misleading. The Texas economy has its up and down cycles, but it is far more resilient than the economies of states like CT. In the overall business cycle, Texas will downturn later than other states, and it will recover before most other states. Additionally, the cost of housing, the overall tax burden, and other important elements of the overall cost of living are much lower in TX, so you can live comfortably on significantly lower incomes than you need in CT.

The health care facilities in the major cities in Texas are world class, too.
I also lived in Texas (Austin) for 17 years. I totally disagree... Texas' boom and bust cycles are quite a bit more pronounced than those in Connecticut. Texas busted with real estate in the mid eighties, tech in the mid nineties, etc...

Yes, the COL is lower, but the salaries for many professionals are commensurately lower. You certainly get more house for the money in Texas, but to note the lower COL, without mentioning the lower pay is misleading.

My last job in Austin was as VP of a medium sized IT firm. The job paid just under 90K. The people who I supervised with equivalent jobs in Connecticut made just under 90K. The job I had pays 25-30% more in Connecticut.

Yes, there are no issues with quality of health care in the major cities in Texas. Access remains a problem everywhere. I will say the way dentistry was practiced in Texas was an unprofessional abomination as compared to Connecticut.

Old 02-02-2011, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
I also lived in Texas (Austin) for 17 years. I totally disagree...
Of course you do. But you hate Texas, so I discount your complaints due to that bias.

Old 02-02-2011, 04:20 PM

Quote:
My last job in Austin was as VP of a medium sized IT firm. The job paid just under 90K. ... The job I had pays 25-30% more in Connecticut.
That bump isn't enough to cover the higher cost of living in Fairfield County (which is statistically the most likely place a person moving to CT would be employed).

Old 02-02-2011, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post
Of course you do. But you hate Texas, so I discount your complaints due to that bias.
I don't hate Texas. But, thanks for being so dismissive of my post. Perhaps you hate Connecticut and we should discount whatever you say.

Old 02-02-2011, 04:31 PM

Quote:
I don't hate Texas.
Nothing you've ever posted here would suggest anything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut