Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 06:44 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,304,911 times

Advertisements

So, what's the best of the best out there in this state? Brewpubs, bars with good beer selections, breweries with tours and samplings.

I've been to a handful of places. SBC Milford and Hamden, John Harvard's in Manchester, City Steam in Hartford. Been meaning to go to Willimantic Brewing for a while, just never get near the place. I saw in the Courant a place in Hamden called Mikro opened up recently which is supposed to be pretty good.

So, what's the best of the best for the good beer lover?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2011, 07:33 PM

3,484 posts, read 9,421,006 times
Willimantic Brewing Company, hands down. They rotate their beers monthly but always have their flagship on tap. It is housed in an old post office and if you eat/drink in the bar area you can really tell it was in fact a post office. The food is good too, especially the burgers (beer glazed onions on top are a must) and the beer tap beef sandwich. Now I made myself hungry...I must go there soon.

Willimantic Brewing Company

I must say, I have nothing but bad food experiences at John Harvard's. So much so that I don't even remember the beer. City Steam has good beer (Naughty Nurse!) but I have had a few very bad meals there, the worst of which was a work function that included chicken where half of the people were served sawdust/overcooked chicken and the other half had partially raw chicken. Yikes.

Old 01-31-2011, 07:39 PM

83,518 posts, read 75,307,397 times
lol...a Beer Thread.. It actually happened. But like my status says....

Anyway..

I hate Beer, prefer Hard Liquor. Or Mikes Lemonade. lol How about a Hard Liquor Thread? lol

Old 01-31-2011, 07:40 PM

2,080 posts, read 4,845,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowerdeck View Post
So, what's the best of the best for the good beer lover?
Well for me, that would be an Amstel Light, with my hubby, after the younger kids have gone to bed (because I am fast asleep when the older ones go to bed!) snuggled in front of the fire on the couch!

Old 01-31-2011, 07:54 PM

84 posts, read 360,245 times
This is a great thread! Willimantic Brewing Company may be the best brewpub in the state. They have a great location in an old post office, and they brew their own beer on site.

Plan B in West Hartford, Simsbury, and Glastonbury are all tremendous. I know the one in Simsbury has about 15 taps that are constantly rotating with different craft beers.

Prime 16 in New Haven is another great option. They have about 20 taps that rotate with great beers. Prime 16

You could also take a brewery tour or pick up a growler of local Connecticut craft beer from breweries like Thomas Hooker in Bloomfield or New England Brewing in Woodbridge.

Last edited by BogieOrangeman; 01-31-2011 at 07:55 PM.. Reason: Fixed link

Old 01-31-2011, 07:57 PM

It's been a while since I was at City Steam, but I saw a six pack of Naughty Nurse at a packie in Putnam not too long ago. Might have to pick one those up sometime, for when I don't feel like doing the hour one way.

Was at Harvard's yesterday, and my burger def. wasn't a medium well. The apps I had though were decent though.

Old 01-31-2011, 08:05 PM

84 posts, read 360,245 times
Also since you're in NE Connecticut, you could drive up to Worcester, and head to Armsby Abbey or Peppercorn's restaurant which serves Wormtown Brewery beers.

Old 01-31-2011, 08:15 PM

Been to the Abbey a few times (I prefer the Dive still), and have been to Peppercorn's once or twice now. Been meaning to get to O'Connor's also, and that place in Hudson with 80 beers. I used to go to the Dark Horse (Honest Town Brewery) in Southbridge all the time, before it closed down due to money problems and that crazy rave party.

Just was looking to see what's in CT, do something different besides Harvard's and Wood n' Tap in Vernon.

Old 01-31-2011, 08:17 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
I am pretty sure that John Harvards has changed owners and names. Not sure what it is but that just happened.

SBC is the Southport Brewing Company which was started in the Southport section of Fairfield. It is still there and the Hamden and Milford locations are branches.

I do like Thomas Hooker ale. Brought some to a party in New Jersey last some and my friends there loved it. They were jealous of that too along with having no tolls (see other thread). Jay

Old 01-31-2011, 08:41 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,601,342 times
One of my favorites went out of business many years ago, Hammer and Nail. They were right in Watertown. I loved their beers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut