Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2011, 05:10 PM

3 posts, read 4,692 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I graduated college last year and am looking to move out of my parent's house soon. I know absolutely nothing about renting a place, what to look for, or where to start. I work in Westbrook (currently commuting from Fairfield) and I plan to move in with a friend who works in Glastonbury. We each make about $30,000 a year after taxes.

We don't really know where to start, but think Hamden/North Haven might be nice to live in and we'd each have about the same 40/45-min commute (these towns are also equidistant between our two hometowns, and close to a lot of friends). I've been to Hamden before to visit Sleeping Giant and spent some time in the downtown area - seemed pretty nice from that one visit there. I also like how both towns are very close to the beach, Metro North, and a city (we're both in our early-20s and we like the nightlife).

Does anyone have any insight on living in one of these places (or other towns nearby)? Would we be able to afford towns like this without living in a dump or throwing 90% of our paychecks toward rent? Any help, advice, insight, etc would be really, greatly appreciated. We don't know anyone who lives in this exact area so I'm not sure where else to go for help besides the great and powerful internet. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 06:20 PM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exquisite75 View Post
Hi all,

I graduated college last year and am looking to move out of my parent's house soon. I know absolutely nothing about renting a place, what to look for, or where to start. I work in Westbrook (currently commuting from Fairfield) and I plan to move in with a friend who works in Glastonbury. We each make about $30,000 a year after taxes.

We don't really know where to start, but think Hamden/North Haven might be nice to live in and we'd each have about the same 40/45-min commute (these towns are also equidistant between our two hometowns, and close to a lot of friends). I've been to Hamden before to visit Sleeping Giant and spent some time in the downtown area - seemed pretty nice from that one visit there. I also like how both towns are very close to the beach, Metro North, and a city (we're both in our early-20s and we like the nightlife).

Does anyone have any insight on living in one of these places (or other towns nearby)? Would we be able to afford towns like this without living in a dump or throwing 90% of our paychecks toward rent? Any help, advice, insight, etc would be really, greatly appreciated. We don't know anyone who lives in this exact area so I'm not sure where else to go for help besides the great and powerful internet. Thanks!
Can't help you on the locations you're interested in but I can offer advice on renting... Price is #1. What rent price can you guys afford each month?

Keep in mind that unlike owning a home where if you miss a payment, the bank will work with you and give you months to pay it back, a landlord can evict you after 1 month missed payment and you can end up on the street. So make sure you can afford it and pay on time...

Secondly...Make sure you and landlord are clear on the details ie: whats included, what landlord expects of you and the rules and regulations of the condo(if its a condo).

Thirdly... before you do anything to the place call landlord to ask if its ok.

Lastly ... Enjoy the freedom, dont stressout, and respect your neighbors.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:13 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,937,475 times
Hamden is much more of an apartment/rental town than North Haven, but I think North Haven is significantly more desirable to live in. I would also consider Wallingford. There are a few apartment complexes there, and it's more fairly between Westbrook and Glastonbury.

Old 02-03-2011, 09:55 AM

220 posts, read 524,905 times
I'd actually lean toward Hamden if you're interested in being closer to the city - North Haven is quiet and a little further away from New Haven, Metro North, etc. If you're just starting out and planning to rent, the condo complexes near Mix Ave might be somewhere to look as there are a lot of other 20somethings up there. I don't think they're too expensive, but close-ish to central Hamden and shopping on Dixwell. It would be about 15 minutes into New Haven, probably about 20 to the train station from there if you don't hit a lot of traffic.

You will want to check on distance to the highway and factor traffic into your commute, though - I think getting to 91 can be a bit of a pain from parts of Hamden, and then the 91/95 interchange tends to be a mess in the mornings, which you probably already know if you commute from Fairfield.

Old 02-03-2011, 11:47 AM

34,914 posts, read 56,893,272 times
I am not sure I agree with either Hamden or North Haven. They are kind of out of both of your ways. I agree Wallingford might be a better option. At least you could use backroads to avoid I-91 and I-95 in New Haven.

Personally, I would look in Middletown in the area south of downtown. You would have an easy commute south on route 9 to Westbrook and your roommate would be able to head north to Glastonbury either via I-91 or the Arragoni Bridge to Route 17. Jay

Old 02-03-2011, 02:06 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,937,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I am not sure I agree with either Hamden or North Haven. They are kind of out of both of your ways. I agree Wallingford might be a better option. At least you could use backroads to avoid I-91 and I-95 in New Haven.

Personally, I would look in Middletown in the area south of downtown. You would have an easy commute south on route 9 to Westbrook and your roommate would be able to head north to Glastonbury either via I-91 or the Arragoni Bridge to Route 17. Jay
I was going to suggest Middletown also, but I was hesitant, because the OP said that he wants to be reasonably close to his family in Fairfield. Because of this, I recommended Wallingford.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut