Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 06:32 PM

20 posts, read 27,756 times

Advertisements

I don't see how my debt would be a red flag the largest portion is student loans, and that was earning 3 degrees. The position I'm taking if it's offered should pay a portion of my federal loans. I have both federal which are still in deferment and private which I'm on the graduated repayment plan on. There are no more deferment or forbearance options. My only option is to move somewhere that I can earn more income. I can't stay here until the debt is paid down, because at current I'm not earning enough to make the payments. I'm only making $11.44/HR here, and can no longer survive. I have an Associate's degree, Bachelor's degree, and Master's degree along with 3.5 months of over seas study and in the current economy haven't been able to find anything that pays me one what I'm worth or two enough to pay the debt that I'm in. I had no idea when I got out of college with 3 degrees, while graduating at the top of my university that I would have to take on a position that started at $10/HR just to have a job. I was lucky to get it as well. I love my current job and hate to leave it, but as said above can't survive on the salary any more, plus I hate living in this area of the country.

Anyway my debt wasn't as much question as to where I should live because if I am offered the position and offered a large enough salary I am taking it. It's a great opportunity that I can't pass up and without risk there is no reward. Plus the job I'm looking into may pay off a large portion of my federal student loan debt. Once I get my foot into the door of this organization I'll be set for life.

Thank you so much for the information on the possible construction that may happen in that area.

I have also looked at the 250 Main St. Apartments, and will have to look at them again. It's been so frustrating because almost all apartment complexes I have looked at in the area have had very bad reviews with people saying "do not live here".

I think I'll be fine though, I have lived in bigger cities than Hartford and in some pretty rough areas before. Again no risk no reward.

Thank you all again for the much appreciated advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2011, 07:25 PM

2,496 posts, read 4,722,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terizz View Post
Thank you so much for the information on the possible construction that may happen in that area.

I have also looked at the 250 Main St. Apartments, and will have to look at them again. It's been so frustrating because almost all apartment complexes I have looked at in the area have had very bad reviews with people saying "do not live here".

I think I'll be fine though, I have lived in bigger cities than Hartford and in some pretty rough areas before. Again no risk no reward.

Thank you all again for the much appreciated advice.
You're welcome. As for the online reviews, take those with a grain of salt. Most people who write these are just there to complain anyway. I used to live on Kane Street near the Hartford city line, and everybody said it was soooooooooooo bad, like it was public housing. This was the first place other than college when I was not living under my parents' roof and it was not a bad experience. Nothing bad EVER happened to me here. It's best to visit the area to get a feel for what you like and see for yourself. Go with your instinct - if it seems like an undesireable place don't move there.

Old 02-03-2011, 07:38 PM

20 posts, read 27,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
You're welcome. As for the online reviews, take those with a grain of salt. Most people who write these are just there to complain anyway. I used to live on Kane Street near the Hartford city line, and everybody said it was soooooooooooo bad, like it was public housing. This was the first place other than college when I was not living under my parents' roof and it was not a bad experience. Nothing bad EVER happened to me here. It's best to visit the area to get a feel for what you like and see for yourself. Go with your instinct - if it seems like an undesireable place don't move there.

Thanks I just wish I would have the opportunity to visit a place before I decide, but in order to do that I'll likely have to stay in a hotel or something until I find something which would be spending money that could be used on an apartment. That's why I've been looking so hard right now. I'm 2000 miles from CT at the moment.

Old 02-03-2011, 08:46 PM

713 posts, read 760,276 times
Terizz,

I'm also considering 250 main st apartments, maybe you can try it out and let me know first hand living there.

The good thing about living there is you can walk to work in downtown hartford. 5 to 10 minute walk depending on where in downtown you work. That is the reason why I'm considering 250 main st apartments. Whereas if you were to live outside the city, you would need to take public transportation if available or if drive to work you would have to pay gas and parking.

Old 02-04-2011, 07:31 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTCitizen View Post
As far as location goes, Capital View Apartments are in a fine location on Asylum Hill. It's very close to the train/bus station, and also I-84 (which might mean some extra noise). Be warned, though, that the street out front (where Asylum and Farmington Ave meet) is very wide, and dangerous to cross on foot. Another thing to keep in mind is the fact that some MAJOR construction projects are being talked about for that exact area in the future. The DOT is talking about putting I-84 at grade level there, and also moving the railroad tracks slightly. This likely won't happen for a few years, but it's something to keep in mind I suppose if you're planning to stay a while.
That I-84 project will not be built for years. It is just being talked about right now as an option and will require a lot of money to build. The OP will most likely be long gone by the time that project gets built.

As for Capitolview, I had a friend that lived there years ago. It was not bad for the money. Jay

Old 02-04-2011, 07:42 AM

47 posts, read 87,173 times
I like to stay in Hartford and it is very safe to live. According to me it is the more better option and other than this Glastonbury is also very safe.

Old 02-04-2011, 08:58 AM

2,080 posts, read 4,845,409 times
Quote:
I don't see how my debt would be a red flag the largest portion is student loans, and that was earning 3 degrees.
The red flag I was referring to was your $500 a month credit card payment..my question regarding your student loan payment was why it was so high?

Quote:

Thanks I just wish I would have the opportunity to visit a place before I decide, but in order to do that I'll likely have to stay in a hotel or something until I find something which would be spending money that could be used on an apartment. That's why I've been looking so hard right now. I'm 2000 miles from CT at the moment.
This makes no sense to me...you mean you aren't coming to Hartford to interview for the job? Who hires someone without a face to face interview? Most people I know are going back at least a second interview and some even 3 times....

And then on the flipside, why would you even think about accepting a job in an unfamiliar city 2000 miles away you haven't even visited?

Old 02-04-2011, 09:26 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,006,712 times
Quote:

Do yourself a favor and save these links and don't sign a lease until you actually go to Hartford and see it for yourself. Some people are fine with it, some people recoil in horror.

Lofts at the Mills Manchester CT Apartments | Apartments in Manchester CT

The Clocktower Mill & The Velvet Mill Apartments in Manchester, CT | Apartments.com

Keep in mind the prices are not including the "specials" they offer such as a free month's rent or % off.

It's literally a 10 minute 95% traffic free ride into Hartford and you will be close to downtown Manchester as well.

Old 02-04-2011, 09:53 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Do yourself a favor and save these links and don't sign a lease until you actually go to Hartford and see it for yourself. Some people are fine with it, some people recoil in horror.

Lofts at the Mills Manchester CT Apartments | Apartments in Manchester CT

The Clocktower Mill & The Velvet Mill Apartments in Manchester, CT | Apartments.com

Keep in mind the prices are not including the "specials" they offer such as a free month's rent or % off.

It's literally a 10 minute 95% traffic free ride into Hartford and you will be close to downtown Manchester as well.
These are good recommendations but as you will see if you visit these websites, the rents are generally above $800 per month. Jay

Old 02-04-2011, 10:02 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,006,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
These are good recommendations but as you will see if you visit these websites, the rents are generally above $800 per month. Jay
They are mid 8's for what she is looking for - a 1 bed or studio for $850. But like I mentioned that does not reflect their "specials" they always run such as a month's free rent or 10% off etc which would bring it down to the high 7 low 8 hundred range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut