Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 02:41 AM

53 posts, read 162,246 times

Advertisements

When I was growing up the neighbors came over all the time and we were at the neighbors two times a week for dinners, New years parties, trick or treating, one woman on our street even cut all the kids hair. Now the only neighbors we hear from are the ones who want to borrow the Toro, or the Lawn Mower. But barely acknowlegde us when we wave or try to be friendly otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2011, 04:38 AM

1,231 posts, read 2,691,806 times
Where did you grow up?

This topic has been way way over discussed on the CT forum

Old 01-30-2011, 06:00 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,963,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K2000kid View Post
When I was growing up the neighbors came over all the time and we were at the neighbors two times a week for dinners, New years parties, trick or treating, one woman on our street even cut all the kids hair. Now the only neighbors we hear from are the ones who want to borrow the Toro, or the Lawn Mower. But barely acknowlegde us when we wave or try to be friendly otherwise.
What happened is that nobody is ever home. In the days you're talking about, the women mostly stayed home and built and nurtured those relationships. Now, everybody is working, and houses are closed off all day.

I grew up in a similar environment. If you went down the street on a warm day, most of the houses had their doors open, especially if the people had kids. It was a much more open, friendly environment. Now, everything is closed up.

It's just the modern world.

Old 01-30-2011, 06:22 AM

53 posts, read 162,246 times
I grew up in Willington CT not to far from where i live now
One thing i realized is common bonds formed alot of friendships on my street growing up. My dad worked with a few of the neighbors, all the kids went to the same school and the moms were always hanging out getting their hair done or going on day trips to EastBrook. I also remember every summer they'd plan a street long yard sale followed by all night barbecues. I grew up with that whole "get to know your neighbor" mentality and always hanging out with the new kids who moved in

I guess i never imagined a place/time when neighbors just weren't that close.

Old 01-30-2011, 06:36 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,915,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
What happened is that nobody is ever home. In the days you're talking about, the women mostly stayed home and built and nurtured those relationships. Now, everybody is working, and houses are closed off all day.

I didn't want to even jump in on this thread since the subject has been beaten to death, but I do want to address the above statement. It's a vast generalization to state that "everybody is working". Our neighborhood is all very friendly with one another, and actually most of the mothers are SAHM's. The women in my neighborhood just had a little get-together a few weeks ago. Some towns are just more family-friendly than others. Perhaps the OP lives in a large town or city, where people are often a little more aloof. At any rate, perhaps the OP is a he, not a she, and has no children at all. People who do work full-time can just be too busy and too tired to socialize with their neighbors.

I think in general, people should look outside their own little box. Just because something is a certain way where they live does not mean that's the norm across the entire state. Ct. is very diverse, with many differences from town to town and city to city.

Old 01-30-2011, 07:01 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,027,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
I didn't want to even jump in on this thread since the subject has been beaten to death, but I do want to address the above statement. It's a vast generalization to state that "everybody is working". Our neighborhood is all very friendly with one another, and actually most of the mothers are SAHM's. The women in my neighborhood just had a little get-together a few weeks ago. Some towns are just more family-friendly than others. Perhaps the OP lives in a large town or city, where people are often a little more aloof. At any rate, perhaps the OP is a he, not a she, and has no children at all. People who do work full-time can just be too busy and too tired to socialize with their neighbors.
Maybe in FFC that can happen, but the majority of the rest of us are not so fortunate. You are lucky. Everyone on my street is dual income, except for the pastor next door.

Old 01-30-2011, 08:03 AM

2,856 posts, read 10,443,194 times
I'm not in FFC and my neighborhood has 2 other stay at home moms other then myself and quite a few retired folks who are home all day as well. In the winter there is not much going on since we are all inside for the most part, but in the spring/summer we will wave and say hi when walking by eachother and what not. Sometimes the kids from next door may come into our yard and play with our kids etc. In the winter we will help snowblow eachother's driveways and sidewalks.

I think it depends more on the neighborhood then it does the town.

Old 01-30-2011, 09:07 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,180,372 times
Quote:
Yuch...glad its not like that. I want my privacy. You want to come over , call first, don't just do a pop over. As for dinner 2 nights a week, one night a month is more than sufficient and thats with good friends. Now I DO agree on the waving and being cordial thing..that we could use more of.

Old 01-30-2011, 10:52 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,816,265 times
Eh - maybe your neighbors just don't like you. I don't like the neighbors to my left, or across the street. Why -would- I want to be neighborly with them? The ones on my right, we get along great. The seniors in the building behind my property are awesome folks, and sometimes if I see one hobbling home from the supermarket I'll stop and give her a ride to her building so she doesn't have to struggle with her groceries in the snow.

If I didn't like the woman though, then no I wouldn't make an effort to be neighborly. I would also hope she made none on my end either.

Old 01-30-2011, 06:10 PM

2,080 posts, read 4,849,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Eh - maybe your neighbors just don't like you.
LOL, that was my first thought, as well.

Quote:
When I was growing up the neighbors came over all the time and we were at the neighbors two times a week for dinners, New years parties, trick or treating, one woman on our street even cut all the kids hair.
This is my neighborhood! We have a mix of sahm and dual incomes and we are very social...not everyone but a lot of the neighbors.

But.... I would never, ever let any of them cut my kids hair!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut