Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 07:58 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,495,840 times

Advertisements

I'm almost willing to wager that some fool during a remodeling project took out some vital supports somewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2011, 08:25 PM

83,520 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
I'm almost willing to wager that some fool during a remodeling project took out some vital supports somewhere.
Bingo.... those are the details we dont know yet... We need to wait..

Old 02-07-2011, 02:13 AM

47 posts, read 87,173 times
Default Glastonbury home collapses!!

This happened on Sunday in Glastonbury that all the homes collapses on Sunday 6th Feb 2011. Home owner was inside the house and then suddenly the house get collapsed and the walls split apart. It was very horrible condition for every people living there.

This happens on Elm Tree Road and this incident was something which was very terrible.

Last edited by JayCT; 02-07-2011 at 07:10 AM.. Reason: Merged from another thread

Old 02-07-2011, 05:49 AM

2,856 posts, read 10,433,997 times
There is already a thread on this.

Last edited by JayCT; 02-07-2011 at 07:11 AM.. Reason: Merged from another thread

Old 02-07-2011, 07:21 AM

34,936 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Please stop the bickering here. This is a terrible thing that happened and no one is being "deleted" by it. JayCT, Moderator

Old 02-07-2011, 07:23 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,006,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Typo (tired).. I meant I-Beam, Support beam not header but the obvious was implied. Columns meaning posts to support the weight of house in basement. Obviously the support walls on main floor hold up the 2nd floor but there should be posts in basement. I wish we built homes with better quality like way back in the day... Everything we use is so damn cheap since the 50s.. and while codes change every year or so we all build based on minimum requirements. Sad.
It's called a girder. *I* have an I-Beam in my basement, it's 1/4" steel, that's not normal.

The girder, columns, and load bearing walls do NOT I repeat do NOT hold up the rafters and ridge. You could remove ALL load bearing walls inside a house and the roof would not collapse because of that. The ceiling joists would slowly sink lower and pull in the outside walls and and eventually cause roof problems. But it wouldn't collapse like that.

Modern trusses are *light years* ahead of traditional rafters in terms of cost and strength.

Last edited by JayCT; 02-07-2011 at 07:32 AM.. Reason: Removed flame comments

Old 02-07-2011, 07:40 AM

3,989 posts, read 6,576,956 times
Ahh, another thread goes to sh**. Gee, I hope the homeowner is ok!!! Lets jump to conclusions like crazy before we actually know anything about what may or may not have been rotted or damaged by pests. By the way - there had to have been way more than 15" of snow on that roof. I had over 20" in some spots when I cleaned mine off and I don't live that far. Plus, this roof had valleys in the roof line and more snow will always collect more heavily in the valleys.

Last edited by Uconn97; 02-07-2011 at 08:47 AM..

Old 02-07-2011, 09:13 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,900,631 times
I've also heard of residential roofs collapsing in Hebron and Monroe, and I'll bet there are numerous others that haven't made the news. A friend of mine said her neighbor's roof partially collapsed, and that never made the news. I think the mistake some homeowners are making is assuming the roof needs to be flat in order to collapse, or that residential homes are safe from collapse. In my neighborhood, some of the roofs had up to 3' of snowdrifts in some areas of their roof. I know it was that deep because my husband cleared a few as a favor to the homeowners. I don't think he'll be doing that again though, he's getting a little too old for that kind of physical labor.

Old 02-07-2011, 09:35 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,415,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Huh? Wanting to find out why it collapsed is delighting? I'm trying to say the home owners need to find out why it collapsed under 1.5 ft of snow. Roofs should hold up to 36-40 inches in this area. Something fishy, either with the structure or the home owner whether you knew them or not.

In all fairness theres no real definitive weight of snow and 15" after the rain of the other day probably weighs more than 40" of powder.

I'm really surprised that more havent given way. What happens with a shallow pitched roof with all that weight is it pushes the walls out, the same thing happens with steep roofs but the steeper you get the less leverage there is pushing out the walls.

Old 02-07-2011, 12:22 PM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uconn97 View Post
Ahh, another thread goes to sh**. Gee, I hope the homeowner is ok!!! Lets jump to conclusions like crazy before we actually know anything about what may or may not have been rotted or damaged by pests. By the way - there had to have been way more than 15" of snow on that roof. I had over 20" in some spots when I cleaned mine off and I don't live that far. Plus, this roof had valleys in the roof line and more snow will always collect more heavily in the valleys.
Agreed. I had about two feet in the valley where the corner of my roof meets the roof of my garage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut