Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2006, 08:41 AM

3 posts, read 9,790 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

due to a job relocation i am going to be working in Farmington. I am moving from LI. I didnt want the traditional suburbs (Nassau County, Queens like) but more rural or less developed. My realtor took me through Marlborough. The schools appear to be really good and I like that it appears to be quiet but right near Route 2.

Any thoughts??
thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2006, 11:34 AM

439 posts, read 720,780 times
Marlborough CT is a real nice small town south of upscale Glastonbury near route 2. The lots sizes are large. Try and look at property one half mile away from that highway. Also look at very popular East Hampton down route 66 to the SW (wonderful town also) great little center, and great schools, as well as Hebron on route 66 to the NE- lots of nice homes, small but developing center for shopping and good schools. All these towns offer rural landscapes, ponds and woods, and no large shopping centers or sprawl.

Old 09-03-2006, 10:20 AM

92 posts, read 455,416 times
Marlborough is nice but
I wouldn't consider E. Hampton.

My sister lived there for 1 yr.
The town is more active in the summer w/ the
small lake there but that's about it.

Not much shopping except local
pharmacy & grocery store.
(but i believe a major grocery store
is being built)
The winter is pretty tough driving anywhere.
The schools are very small too.

A lot of run down type of housing & old
apts buildings in the area also.

There are some newer homes being
built that your realtor can tell you about.

FYI: definitely check out the
CT state sex offender list for every
town.
Your realtor should offer that info to you
also.

Also, Glastonbury has the better schools
& closest to RT 2.

Good luck.

Old 09-13-2006, 01:12 PM

3,484 posts, read 9,416,528 times
Marlborough is a small town (5-6,000 people) that has kept its rural charm. It has one traffic light and 2 gas stations. Most in the area consider it an undiscovered gem. The housing prices haven’t gone crazy there even though it is less than 20 miles from Hartford and the schools are great. There are a few restaurants in town, but for the finer dining you can take a short trip to the neighboring town of Glastonbury. There is a town lake (Terramuggus) that is great for swimming or paddling. The people are friendly and it is one of those you can keep your doors unlocked kind of places.

Most homes were built in the 60s-70s and are affordable ($275K range) and on good size lots (an acre or more), although the new construction in town seems to start at $600K. Minimum lot size to build new is almost 2 acres, so no McMansion subdivisions will be developed.

East Hampton is a bit more developed and has a kind of run down section from back in its manufacturing days. In this area, Marlborough would be my top pick, followed by Hebron, then Colchester, then E Hampton.

Old 04-05-2008, 03:19 PM

11 posts, read 62,331 times
Talking about Marlborough....
Most homes were built in the 60s-70s and are affordable ($275K range) and on good size lots (an acre or more), although the new construction in town seems to start at $600K. Minimum lot size to build new is almost 2 acres, so no McMansion subdivisions will be developed.

My husband and I are looking at a home that is tucked in between homes built in the 70's on a quiet street in Marlborough. My concern is that there are only two houses on the street at this price level. Since we may not be there for more than 5 years, I'm concerned about the resale. It seems that the houses in Marlborough are at the ranges suggested above. The house we are conisidering is in between the two ranges. Would there be a market for that? I'm concerned. Too high for one group. Too low for another. The lot is really nice. I have to say that.

Thanks!

Old 04-05-2008, 04:41 PM

3,484 posts, read 9,416,528 times
I wouldn't be too concerned. My neighborhood has raised ranches probably worth $275K, older colonials well into the $300K range, and some contemporary and newer colonial homes worth well more than both of those. I haven't noticed anyone having a huge problem selling anything around (both high and low priced homes).

Old 04-07-2008, 05:51 PM

35 posts, read 142,784 times
Kind of a long commute from Marl. to Farmington. Did you look west of the river at towns like New Hartford or Canton/Collinsville?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut