Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2011, 07:35 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,944,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
A flat tax is anything but fair. It's actually a regressive tax. The poor pay a much higher percentage of their income in tax than the rich....

As a middle class worker, let's see your expenses make up 70% of your income. You're taxed at a flat rate on 70% of your income.

A wealthy person may only need to spend 10% of their income and invest the rest... So effectively they have a lower tax rate than you do... Fair? I don't think so.

Ever wonder why the biggest proponent of the flat tax is named "Forbes" and is worth billions?
It's absolutely fair. What are you talking about? You're basically saying that the rich should be taxed at a higher rate, simply because they have more purchasing and saving power? Well, tough crap. Of course it's easier to be rich. Sounds like you support an agenda that equalizes everyone, income wise. What a boring world it would be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 08:14 PM

28 posts, read 57,322 times
These proposed tax increases have me worried about how I will ever be able to make it on my own. I am still young at 24, so granted there is still time for things to improve for me. For the majority of 2010 I was living in FL and then I chose to return to CT, due to personal reasons and financial. I am now living back at home and have a job that my mom was able to get me. This job is only a temp however and if I can't find anything else in 1 year I will be out of a job. I graduated with a Bachelor degree in Accounting and still have not been able to get into that field because no one seems to be hiring entry level Accountants (even though I have been on at least a dozen interviews). I also have about 100K in student loans that I have to payback so for me it just seems that I will never be able to have a life in CT that doesn't involve struggling. My plan has been to live with my parents and hopefully get into the Accounting field and gain a few years of experience and pay down my debt and then look into other states. I would love to move back to FL since I don't mind the heat and it always felt like home to me.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTBorn View Post
These proposed tax increases have me worried about how I will ever be able to make it on my own. I am still young at 24, so granted there is still time for things to improve for me. For the majority of 2010 I was living in FL and then I chose to return to CT, due to personal reasons and financial. I am now living back at home and have a job that my mom was able to get me. This job is only a temp however and if I can't find anything else in 1 year I will be out of a job. I graduated with a Bachelor degree in Accounting and still have not been able to get into that field because no one seems to be hiring entry level Accountants (even though I have been on at least a dozen interviews). I also have about 100K in student loans that I have to payback so for me it just seems that I will never be able to have a life in CT that doesn't involve struggling. My plan has been to live with my parents and hopefully get into the Accounting field and gain a few years of experience and pay down my debt and then look into other states. I would love to move back to FL since I don't mind the heat and it always felt like home to me.
I'm sorry to hear that you are having a tough time finding an accounting job in CT, and quite frankly, surprised. CT is a major financial center and should have many financial jobs in general. I am in the accounting field myself (tax) and never had a problem getting a job here, even during this bad economy. Perhaps it's because I hold a master's degree. What area are you looking in? I am in the Hartford metro area.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:39 PM

82 posts, read 237,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTBorn View Post
Sorry that you cant find a job. I will be graduating with my BS in accounting next spring and I'm worried about the job situation here. We shall see how the economy plays out. I'm seriously considering looking for work in other states though, I dont have a good feeling about the direction CT is going.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:45 PM

82 posts, read 237,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I'm sorry to hear that you are having a tough time finding an accounting job in CT, and quite frankly, surprised. CT is a major financial center and should have many financial jobs in general. I am in the accounting field myself (tax) and never had a problem getting a job here, even during this bad economy. Perhaps it's because I hold a master's degree. What area are you looking in? I am in the Hartford metro area.
Nep, hows the situation in CT for tax accountants if you dont mind me asking? I'll be graduating next year with my BS in accounting and planning on entering the field(tax).

Old 02-15-2011, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe143 View Post
Nep, hows the situation in CT for tax accountants if you dont mind me asking? I'll be graduating next year with my BS in accounting and planning on entering the field(tax).
Since tax accounting is in high demand, it is probably the area of accounting with the most opportunities. Even a year ago, while I was unemployed, I had no problem getting 2 interviews in the Hartford area for tax jobs. However, I am referring only to private tax accounting jobs (i.e. corporate, internal). I didn't bother to look for tax jobs in public accounting. Been there done that, and it's a VERY stressful industry to be in. I value work/life balance, so I decided to stick with the corporate route. I will never go back to public. But, if you're desperate (or prefer public), you should have almost no problem finding those types of jobs, since the turnover is very high and employers are always looking to fill those jobs. But again, if you value having plenty of personal free time, I don't recommend it...although it is a nice resume booster if you do it for about 1-2 years early in your career.

The areas with the most opportunities for tax accountants (or general accountants) would be Hartford and Stamford. There isn't as much in the New Haven or New London areas.

Old 02-15-2011, 09:04 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,334,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
So when we had Republican governors ignore the looming disaster it was all about the legislature... Now that we have a Democratic governor who's addressing the issue it's the governor's fault? Sorry. Logical problem here, in my opinion.
You have to note the difference between a Republican and a Conservative. There is a BIG difference. The (R) CT Governors have NOT been conservatives. Arnold Schwarzenegger in California was anything but a conservative.

Even if CT had a conservative (R) Governor, they may not be able to implement the changes they would like b/c the legislature is dominated by the (D) party. I don't live in CT, but my guess is they are left-wind Democrats who control the legislature.

If you want to see the difference between a republican and conservative Governor, compare your former Governors with Chris Christie, Rick Scott, Scott Walker, John Kasich, Bobby Jindal, Mitch Daniels and other conservative Governors.

Old 02-15-2011, 09:07 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,334,125 times
Quote:
It's absolutely fair. What are you talking about? You're basically saying that the rich should be taxed at a higher rate, simply because they have more purchasing and saving power? Well, tough crap. Of course it's easier to be rich. Sounds like you support an agenda that equalizes everyone, income wise. What a boring world it would be.
You're 100% right. A 'fair' tax is one that will tax all people equally, regardless of race, gender, religion... AND income. Isn't fairness when you treat all people the same? Why should one person be taxed at a higher RATE than someone else?

With a flat tax, everyone is treated fairly by virtue of paying the same percentage of their income to the Government. To this end, those who make more money will pay more money because they are taxed at the same rate on more income. This sounds a lot more fair than 47% of people paying nothing in federal income tax, while others pay 35% (federal only), which will soon increase to 40%+ while more and more people pay nothing.

Old 02-15-2011, 11:01 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,085,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmonroe67 View Post
If you have'nt yet figured out that you are not wanted here, then I will. Get the hell out and never look back.
I fear you're right. My plan is to get out as quickly as possible. First I will sell the house, and if I have to work here longer I will rent.

Then, as an old joke goes, the best view I will ever have of Connecticut will be the last view I have in my rear view mirror.

Old 02-16-2011, 04:20 AM

28 posts, read 57,322 times
Quote:
I am surprised I am having such a tough time getting into the field also. While I was in school, I was always told it would be easy for me to get a job since everyone needs Accountants. For the areas I am looking to get into, if you are asking about the location I want to work, I am thinking about the Hartford metro area. If I am ever able to move from my parents, I have found many apartments in Middletown that I like and would like to move to. As for the area of Accounting that I am trying to get in, right now it is very open and I just want to get in any field that will help me get that experience. I've had interviews for A/R, A/P, Bookkeeping, Staff Accountant and I have also sent my resume out to pretty much every Accounting firm I can find. I want to get my master's degree at some point, but I can't really go back to school right now without a decent paying job, so my loans don't just keep piling up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut