Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 12:02 PM

243 posts, read 774,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by welsh dragon View Post
hi,

my family and I are thinking of re-locating to Newtown Ct from
Westport.
This is a huge decision as I am fully aware that Westport has this
reputation of being a highly desirable place to live. Of course it is lovely
and the people here are very nice and so cosmopolitan.
BUT , it is hectic , noisy , very , very competitive and it's a strain on my husband ( who is not a banker like most of Westport ) and it's a
strain on my kids who are flanked on every side by intensely privilidged
children. We all think it may be better to leave as we are suffocated
by our mortgage and live at such a fast pace of life.
I am just wondering if you folks out there think it would be too much
of a culture shock for us to move to Newtown ?
It's completely obvious from my research that I am going to have a far superior home to the very expensive raised ranch I am in at the moment,
( yes, bought at the height of the market ).
I have wonderful friends here , but was born and raised in the countryside of
Wales so I am not AFRAID to move to somewhere rural , but I do need
some half decent stores fairly nearby and most importantly would
I be doing the kids a diservice by taking them out of Staples and sending
them to Newtown high school ??
Any thoughts , I would be so grateful.
You're moving 30 minutes up the road. It's not like your going to Mississippi.

Will Newtown differ from Westport? Yes.

How so? Home prices won't be as high, not everyone is a banker, yes there will be middle class residents and they won't have a downtown consisting of J.Crew and Tiffany's.

Newtown still has great neighborhoods, great schools and is a beautiful community. I know quite a few people from Newtown who have moved from lower Fairfield County and New York.

It's a great place and you won't have anything to worry about. Seriously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 02:45 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,447,556 times
Welsh Dragon, just go to Newtown. It is close to you. Go a few weekdays after work and get dinner there with your family. Spend extra time there on the weekends. Go to the town offices. Walk around Fairfield Hills and go to the parks. Contact a Newcomer's Club. It will be a culture shock compared to Westport because competition won't be as severe as it is along the coastline. You will not feel like your income dictates how people think of you unless you are one of the lucky few that has a very expensive home. Shopping is conveniently located in Danbury, and if you don't want to shop there it's not hard to get to Norwalk/Westport/Stamford. Your kids will not suffer from transferring from Staples to Newtown HS (but expect them to put up a fight because they'll miss their friends.)

If all of your kids are in high school and grew up in Westport, you may want to wait until they graduate to move. It would be a shame if they aren't able to finish out the last few years of school with their best friends if they have lived in Westport for a long time. If you're really considering the down real estate market to buy a cheap house in Newtown, prices are expected to fall for the rest of the year and possibly into 2012 as well, so there's no rush. However, if your kids are in grade school, now would be a good time to move.

Old 02-16-2011, 03:11 PM

34,932 posts, read 56,935,296 times
I agree with Kidyankee and Kristen, look into either the Milford, Orange, Woodbridge area or the Branford, Guilford, Madiosn areas. Both are very nice and a lot more affordable than Fairfield County. I also agree that Fairfield might be a good option too. More affordable than the towns in lower Fairfield County but still very nice.

As to Welshdragon's request, why not look into moving to Fairfield instead. It is a little more diverse than Westport and a little slower. Plus you will still be near Westport if you want to visit. Newtown is very nice but it is a drastic change from Westport. You might also consider towns like Easton or Weston which are smaller and quieter. Jay

Old 02-18-2011, 10:57 AM

3 posts, read 6,344 times
Thanks everyone. I've got a good list going. We're not set on being on the beach but we do want to be able to do a day trip there. I'm definitely looking at Newtown, Southbury, Bethel and even north into the Candlewood Lake area. We're also looking at Trumbull and Madison but thinking the commute might be worse. We'll likely go with the area further north. Which commute is easier to NYC, 84 to 684 south or 95 along the coast? Thanks for all the advice!

Old 02-18-2011, 12:05 PM

21,619 posts, read 31,202,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForSuchATimeAsThis View Post
Thanks everyone. I've got a good list going. We're not set on being on the beach but we do want to be able to do a day trip there. I'm definitely looking at Newtown, Southbury, Bethel and even north into the Candlewood Lake area. We're also looking at Trumbull and Madison but thinking the commute might be worse. We'll likely go with the area further north. Which commute is easier to NYC, 84 to 684 south or 95 along the coast? Thanks for all the advice!
They are both similar. Keep in mind, if you live in Trumbull, you're along the Metro North line so you can take the train into Manhattan. If you live in Newtown or Southbury, you're going to have to drive to either Danbury or Southeast, NY to catch the train.

I strongly suggest you stay along the coast (Orange, Trumbull, maybe out toward Madison) for a few reasons:
  • Access to Metro North Commuter Railroad
  • Access to two highways into the city (95 or the Merritt Parkway)
  • Close to the "real" beaches
Another town I strongly suggest you check out is Branford. I live here, so if you have any questions, feel free.

Old 02-21-2011, 06:49 AM

323 posts, read 634,004 times
I live in the Newtown area, and go to NYC daily. The drive is 1 1/4 hour to the upper east side, with no major traffic, via 84 to 684. You should be able to find a nice rental for your price. It's a nice town, but a bit on the quiet side. Places near the coastline are more upscale and have more action. Ridgefield is beautiful with great schools.

welshdragon: Coming for the day and having a look will give you a good idea of Newtown. Go to the BigY shopping area on Queen Street, and drive up and down 25 where it begins at the Monroe border and ends at the Bethel/Danbury shopping area where Target is. A bit further is the Walmart complex. Of course, there is the Federal Road area also. I don't know if people who live in Southern Newtown do their shopping/daily errands in Westport, or places down there? That would be a different story.

Old 02-22-2011, 04:49 PM

1 posts, read 849 times
Default Fairfield or Westport are where you want to be...

From what you describe, Fairfield or Westport are where it sounds you want to be (or if you prefer a more country/rural setting, over Westport/Fairfield beaches, metro into NYC, shopping, restaurants and the arts, etc, ...consider Weston or Easton and you are still only 15 mins from all that). You can live cheaper if willing to travel up the coast or in-land but you should be able to find housing you like in Fld/Wpt in the 3000/MO range. The amenities, arts and culture, easy access to NYC, beaches, marinas, parks, countryside and quaint downtowns and quality schools all amke for a nice quality of life. Enjoy, James R.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForSuchATimeAsThis View Post
Hi all,

We're moving to Fairfield County and are not sure where to look. I've done some research and know a few basics of the area but really need some help in narrowing our search. I know Greenwich is big bucks. I'm told New Haven is not so appealing. Here's what we're looking for:

My husband will be commuting to Manhattan about once a week so we're looking for a 2 hr or less commute. We have 4 children so schools are important. We're looking to rent a 4+ bdrm home that's around 3000+ sqft for around $3000/mo or less and a town that has some options to live rurally but be near everything we need... grocery, malls, etc. Some options for a great Christian church are very important and of course we LOVE the beach!

I really appreciate any feedback! Thanks so much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut