Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 02:25 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,935,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
I have another perspective on the "mill" apartments. I think they are actually quite nice with exposed brick, wood beams etc. I had a friend who lived there for years. They are all next to each other so it makes it like a little community.

They are also in the historic Cheney district of Manchester which is a victorian community with large grand homes with brick sidewalks, "gas lamp" lights etc. It's also only a couple blocks from downtown Manchester so you can walk to the various shops, cafe's and ethnic restaurants on Main Street. You'll all have a nice park with raquet ball/tennis courts, soccer, baseball fields etc two blocks away and from that park you'll have access to the walking/biking trails which are a "rails to trails" project and go all the way into Hartford/East Hartford and out into the country.

Here is a "Street view" on the corner near the apartments (about 100 feet away you can see one of the mills.) hartford road manchester ct - Google Maps

That's Hartford road that leads to downtown about 1/4 mile away at most.

Here is the intersection up the road with Main Street and you can see the park on the right, it goes down in and expands. Everything Main street is to the left.

hartford road manchester ct - Google Maps

If you are into Mountain biking, Case Mountain about a mile away can't be beat. Miles and miles of trails. A local market "Highland Park Market" is about a mile away as well for grocery shopping. They have a lot of local fresh items as well.

Here is entrance to Case Mountain...one of them anyhow.

hartford road manchester ct - Google Maps

Hartford itself is about 10 minuted drive in with easy access.

If you decide to move near the mall, just know that JayCT and I disagree on the traffic issue. He comes in from Glastonbury, and yes the exit ramp coming from there and area surrounding it on a Fri/Sat night can be busy, but from the apartments highway access is easy, and there is hardly any "mall" traffic near them aside from one complex, and during holiday season, if it's clogged or whatever, there are alternate go arounds.
The mill apartments look nice and look charming, but have issues with hearing neighbors between the walls, parking issues and washers and dryers being in use too often, as well as high heating bills due to the high ceilings. As long as the OP doesn't mind that, I say go for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 02:37 PM

17 posts, read 35,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
The mill apartments look nice and look charming, but have issues with hearing neighbors between the walls, parking issues and washers and dryers being in use too often, as well as high heating bills due to the high ceilings. As long as the OP doesn't mind that, I say go for it.
I do like the look of the mill lofts but do realize that they are going to be a ***** to heat. If the cost is $100-200 lower per month (which they are), then that easily offsets higher heating costs in the winter. I wonder if the place would give me details on heating bills for those places.

I also don't like the fact that W/D aren't in the units but I can deal with that I think if there are many other benefits of living there. I can also deal with parking as long as my car isn't going to get broken into (I read a lot of complaints about that for the Pavillions, for example). I have a nice Lexus and don't want it damaged obviously.

Old 02-21-2011, 02:46 PM

34,913 posts, read 56,885,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HartfordboundChE View Post
JatCT (or anyone), Is it possible to cycle from downtown Hartford across the river to East Hartford? I.e., do bike lanes actually exist?
You can cross the river on both the Founders and Bulkley Bridges on a bike. It is not a dedicated bike lane but bikes are allowed on the pedestrian walkway.

As for traffic around the mall, it is not just the ramp from I-84 that is a problem. There is a lot of traffic on Buckland Street, Buckland Hills Drive and Hale Road. While it is a great place to shop (it has just about everything) I personally would not want to live there. JMHO, Jay

Old 02-21-2011, 03:35 PM

8,155 posts, read 20,997,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
You can cross the river on both the Founders and Bulkley Bridges on a bike. It is not a dedicated bike lane but bikes are allowed on the pedestrian walkway.

As for traffic around the mall, it is not just the ramp from I-84 that is a problem. There is a lot of traffic on Buckland Street, Buckland Hills Drive and Hale Road. While it is a great place to shop (it has just about everything) I personally would not want to live there. JMHO, Jay
Well that's just it Jay, you can live in all the apartments by the mall except one and never go on Hale road or Buckland. Just use Tolland Turnpike and use next exit up 63...or go West on Tolland turnpike and cut through the JC Penny hub and it cuts all that junk right out and you are literally maybe 200 feet out of your way. Same for I291 access if needed. Tolland Tpk towards East Hartford puts you off there.

And FWIW I used to cycle in to East Hartford a lot of times to a location near the river with no issues. I used to cycle competitively though for reference.

Old 02-21-2011, 08:42 PM

Hartford Apartment Search - Google Maps

Here is the custom map I have for the apartments I am considering (long list). What gems am I missing?

Old 02-21-2011, 08:53 PM

Among all of those, my favorite is The Vintage at the Grove in Manchester. My 2 cents.

Old 02-21-2011, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Among all of those, my favorite is The Vintage at the Grove in Manchester. My 2 cents.
I like the Vintage as well. There are a lot of good qualities but I wonder how strict they are with having cats declawed... I just don't think I can do that to my cat to live in an apartment. :/

It's interesting that if you assume huge differences in heating/cooling costs between the Vintage and the Lofts at the Mill, the Mill still is ~$140 cheaper. The lofts at main and Temple downtown are comparable to both these because of the free heating and cooling...

Vintage /Lofts at the mills / Main and Temple
rent 1395 1150 1500
Area 1014 1300 930-model G
average heating 70 122.5 0
average A/C 27.5 42.5 0
electricity, other 30 35 35
covered parking (100 ) N/A Free-Garage
extra storage space cost 0 0 30
cable + internet 115 115 115
laundry 0 30 0
Total, no parking 1637 1495 1680

Old 02-22-2011, 04:20 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,885,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Well that's just it Jay, you can live in all the apartments by the mall except one and never go on Hale road or Buckland. Just use Tolland Turnpike and use next exit up 63...or go West on Tolland turnpike and cut through the JC Penny hub and it cuts all that junk right out and you are literally maybe 200 feet out of your way. Same for I291 access if needed. Tolland Tpk towards East Hartford puts you off there.

And FWIW I used to cycle in to East Hartford a lot of times to a location near the river with no issues. I used to cycle competitively though for reference.
Yes there are a few ways around the traffic but that does not mean you can completely avoid it. Aspen Woods is right on Buckland Street and only has access to Redstone which is a deadend off Buckland. It would be kind of hard to avoid Buckland Street if you lived there. The Pavillons is right on Buckland Hills Drive in the heart of the major shopping area so it too means you can not avoid the traffic.

Please note that I am only telling the OP this so they know of the issue. The area has a lot to offer in the way of shopping, entertainment and restaurants (mostly chains). They need to check the area out carefully. Jay

Old 02-22-2011, 06:59 AM

The traffic in the Buckland Hills area is especially unbearable on weekends during the holiday season. People can't even get out of their apartment complexes. It takes them a while to get out.

Old 02-22-2011, 07:35 AM

well, called The Vintage and it seems like they are willing to work with me on the claws so at least that is still an option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut