Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 05:15 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,348,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Konig - You seem to be ignoring my post above. How do you explain the multi-million dollar homes in Southport and Greenfield Hill? Who do you think are buying them? A lot of people come to Fairfield because they love the charm of Southport and the quiet beauty of Greenfield Hill. Heck there are million dollar homes along Fairfield Beach. Those aren't there because nobody wants them. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2018, 08:38 PM

21,752 posts, read 28,077,952 times
I can’t seem to find the house in question in Weston.

Old 11-15-2018, 07:50 AM

786 posts, read 824,099 times
FFC mortgage and real estate news:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...r-down-payment

Of course one could just go to another lender.

Old 11-15-2018, 08:40 AM

570 posts, read 477,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerisgood02 View Post

This is brutal, no matter how you spin it. The nations largest lender calls FFC distressed. Other lenders will follow suit. You buy in CT then better be in it for long haul

Old 11-15-2018, 09:06 AM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:

Yikes.

Old 11-15-2018, 09:14 AM

786 posts, read 824,099 times
Westchester is in more distress then we are:

The county’s homebuying market has fared well compared with other New York suburbs. While sales in the third quarter slipped 0.7 percent -- the third consecutive decline -- the median price of homes that changed hands climbed 3.7 percent to $425,000, according to a report by Douglas Elliman and appraiser Miller Samuel Inc. Contracts, a more timely measure of demand, jumped 28 percent. Sales in Greenwich, home to many Wall Street executives, surged 26 percent, the best summer for that market since 2012.

In neighboring Westchester County, single-family home sales declined for a fifth straight quarter, and prices there fell, too. Purchases in Manhattan, Brooklyn, northwest Queens and Long Island also decreased in the third quarter, according to the firms.

Old 11-15-2018, 09:22 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,944,513 times
Quote:

I wonder how many mortgages Wells is writing in FFC. Most people I know who have jumbos get them from local banks like Peoples.

Old 11-15-2018, 09:39 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
I wonder how many mortgages Wells is writing in FFC. Most people I know who have jumbos get them from local banks like Peoples.
Or non-bank lenders. Jay

Old 11-15-2018, 09:48 AM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Westchester is in more distress then we are:

The county’s homebuying market has fared well compared with other New York suburbs. While sales in the third quarter slipped 0.7 percent -- the third consecutive decline -- the median price of homes that changed hands climbed 3.7 percent to $425,000, according to a report by Douglas Elliman and appraiser Miller Samuel Inc. Contracts, a more timely measure of demand, jumped 28 percent. Sales in Greenwich, home to many Wall Street executives, surged 26 percent, the best summer for that market since 2012.

In neighboring Westchester County, single-family home sales declined for a fifth straight quarter, and prices there fell, too. Purchases in Manhattan, Brooklyn, northwest Queens and Long Island also decreased in the third quarter, according to the firms.
This tells me not that the area is in “distress”, but people are once again trying to buy more house than they can afford. The article spells this out perfectly with using the example of the Darien buyers “scrambling” for an extra 5% on a 700k house. If you’re spending 700k on a house, and you can’t come up with 25% for a down payment, you’re maxing yourself out. Plain and simple.

I couldn’t believe what we were approved for when buying our latest house. We spent 300k less than our approval amount. Unfortunately I don’t think most buyers do that. The people who bought our house in Fairfield County were from Michigan had many issues with their financing. There is no question they’re living paycheck to paycheck in our old home. They’re certainly enjoying bouncing around town in their 80k Mercedes SUV though.

Old 11-15-2018, 11:36 AM

570 posts, read 477,553 times
[quote=kidyankee764;53649426. If you’re spending 700k on a house, and you can’t come up with 25% for a down payment, you’re maxing yourself out. Plain and simple. [/QUOTE]

Sorry but asking people to come up with extra 20k is a crusher. I think you are missing bigger point, the largest mortgage originator is saying we are distressed and too risky. That is not about Darien coffee sippers without proper savings. It is about condition of job market, debt levels, interest rate hikes and outlook for region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut