Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 01:40 PM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Wouldn't the amount of unemployed senior citizens skew the perception of the unemployment rate?
No, retirees do not get included in unemployment rates. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 01:43 PM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodfella24 View Post
The unemployment in florida was done among the active workforce and not the retirees which accounts for the majority of senior citizens in FL. FL with workforce unemployment alone still came out to be the highest.
Unemployment Rates for States
Interesting information. The City of Middletown's Planning Department keeps some interesting statistics. They note that while unemployment in Connecticut is at 9.3%, the number of job openings have increased by nearly 100% from one year ago. They also note that where a year ago 50% of the job openings were medical related, they are now less than 5%. I guess things are improving but very slowly. Jay

Old 02-28-2011, 01:47 PM

134 posts, read 491,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Interesting information. The City of Middletown's Planning Department keeps some interesting statistics. They note that while unemployment in Connecticut is at 9.3%, the number of job openings have increased by nearly 100% from one year ago. They also note that where a year ago 50% of the job openings were medical related, they are now less than 5%. I guess things are improving but very slowly. Jay

I dont know what to think anymore the state of our economy is ridiculous. My grandfather quoted its gone back to a point i didnt think id see again in my lifetime.

Old 02-28-2011, 01:52 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,005,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodfella24 View Post
The unemployment in florida was done among the active workforce and not the retirees which accounts for the majority of senior citizens in FL. FL with workforce unemployment alone still came out to be the highest.
Unemployment Rates for States
I wasn't the one making that statement, but I just read through their criteria and could'nt find anything to that effect.

Don't be mislead that everyone retired is over 65, and moreover, if anything for a business like mine having retirees in number actually creates some stability. They still need lawn guys, pool guys, electricians etc and most have a steady income.

If I go, I'll finally be seeing some benefit from all the state pensions.

Old 02-28-2011, 03:36 PM

134 posts, read 491,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
I wasn't the one making that statement, but I just read through their criteria and could'nt find anything to that effect.

Don't be mislead that everyone retired is over 65, and moreover, if anything for a business like mine having retirees in number actually creates some stability. They still need lawn guys, pool guys, electricians etc and most have a steady income.

If I go, I'll finally be seeing some benefit from all the state pensions.

O i thought when you quoted a statement if they quoted the person that said it, it quoted both guess not. but do whatever works for you, if you get benefits then by all means.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:23 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,968,512 times
goodfella, The startling thing is I have a few very young relatives in their senior year of college, and in their lifetime Ct has not gained a single net job. I figured it would last through the 90s, but not 2 plus decades.

Sad.

Old 04-10-2013, 02:32 PM

10 posts, read 28,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
I’m sure I’ll be in the minority as well…but I think it is a dumb move to kill the Florida rail project.

About two months ago ABC News with DS did a special “Behind the Dragon” (I think)…it was about how China is swiftly lapping the USA in high tech development, education, and infrastructure. One of the things that caught my attention was that they have a network of high speed trains that reach 200-mph that connect many cities in China. Someone can travel between Beijing and Fuzhou in less than 6 hours. To put that into a USA perspective – that’s like getting on in New Haven or NYC at 6: 00 am and being in Miami in time for lunch (about 6 hours). The Chinese have taken the lead on solar, wind, geothermal…ect, while our country in locked in the bitter partisan battles (on both sides) while our aged and out dated infrastructure collapses.

The old timers where tougher and worked together far more than bitter and divided people and government of the USA today. Henry Flagger took the old East Coast railway from NYC down the East Coast to tropical south Florida. Along with help from the USA Government – Flagger fought heat, alligators, malaria, drought …etc to install the East Coast Railway right to Miami. What happened to the old America? I guess it's alive - in China.
Indeed. Last time I lived in China, they had just completed the high speed line between Hangzhou, where I lived, and Shanghai. It was a huge boost to both cities, and opened up the possibility of families locating to cheaper cities between and considering jobs in either direction, or couples splitting their commutes to different cities. Not to mention all the hours business people saved. The American car-based commute system does not work (inefficient, uneconomical and unhealthy) as population rises, and the Chinese are very smart to use Europe/NE US as a model for their transportation infrastructure rather than that of the not so forward thinking western and southern states.

Old 04-11-2013, 01:21 PM

428 posts, read 831,860 times
This is not a good example. No one wants their state to be more like Florida. A low tax state that still can attract top flight business, that's has a way higher crime rates, most of the state isn't even American, its much poorer and still is suffering from higher than average rates of foreclosed properties. Highlighting something like the difference in tax burden and say its going to create a mass exodus of tax payers from here to there simply for that reason a fallacy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut