Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2011, 11:44 AM

42 posts, read 85,747 times

Advertisements

Perspective job in Manhattan with thought of where to relocate from FL (yes, Florida!) Divorced, no kids with cats.

I see Stamford prices in 'good' neighborhoods seem like they're about the same as say Astoria (also considering Woodside, Elmhurst etc on subway line) with Stamford actually more expensive. Then there's the commute, the long days and the cost of the commute by Metro North or driving on 95 or the Merritt/Hutch.

Then in NY there's parking issues and perhaps a little higher cost of living for food.

Don't get me wrong, I have no great attraction to Stamford (lived in Brooklyn, raised in Fairfield - not been back since 1985, and worked for years in Washington DC) If you recommend Norwalk, I might as well live in Fairfield again, correct?

I guess if there any great advantages to moving back to CT for a NYC job, I'd love to hear them.

All this assumes employment in Manhattan. If I land something in Fairfield County or Westchester - there's a whole other issue.

I may be all over the place here, but if someone has anything to chime in on, I'd definitely appreciate your input.

Thank you in advance,

Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2011, 07:58 PM

10,063 posts, read 14,434,667 times
If price is out of the equation and it is purely Stamford vs Queens, I'd pick Queens, depending on the neighborhood. But I enjoy the energy, variety, people, culture, and vibe of the city (even the boroughs) over a suburban or smaller area city.
If price is a factor, which I'm assuming it is, I'd pick Queens to be honest. You can probably get a pretty good deal on an apt right now in Astoria or Long Island City, or even Forest Hills or Jackson Heights, etc.
It all really depends on your likes and dislikes, your desire to live in a house vs an apt, do you need culture/variety/energy right out your door, or will a quieter city with a moderately lively downtown such as Stamford work?
I live in Stamford and do like it. But if I had a choice, I'd be back in the city. Stamford has really come a long way in terms of a lively downtown. There are a lot of great restaurants downtown, a lot of cool bars, much more shopping, and a much more energetic vibe down there. In the past 5 years I have seen a huge change downtown. It's becoming an active city with a real downtown life. You could really live downtown and not have to leave for really much of anything, or even have a car.

Old 03-02-2011, 08:01 PM

34,930 posts, read 56,924,455 times
You need to consider your commute. By train Manhattan is about 40 minutes. Add the trip from your home to the station and then from Grand Central to your office, you are talking about an hour maybe more. I am not sure that Queens is anywhere near as far but the trains/subways can be very crowded. Then again so are the Metro North trains. It is your call but I usually recommend living as close to your job as possible. Jay

Old 03-03-2011, 09:25 AM

588 posts, read 1,320,354 times
If you're single and will be working in Manhattan, I'd recommend Queens (or Brooklyn) over Stamford. Stamford is a nice small city with some urban amenities, but it can't compare to living in NYC. Astoria is a really short ride to midtown and the train comes every couple of minutes. In Stamford, you'll (most likely) need to drive to the station, wait for the train, take a 45 min ride into the city, then potentially have to take the subway anyway unless your job is near Grand Central. If you needed a house, property, good schools, more living space, the commute would be worth it, but you don't, so save yourself the hassle.

Old 03-03-2011, 09:53 AM

21,619 posts, read 31,197,189 times
I would say Queens because of mass transit, and I agree with the suggestion of Astoria or LIC. That said, Stamford can be more expensive but it's also nicer IMO.

Both commute times into Manhattan will likely be similar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut