Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 05:03 PM

712 posts, read 757,407 times

Advertisements

According to the courant, his salary is $1,643,481.

1,126 State Employees Paid Over $150,000 In 2010, Payroll Data Shows - Courant.com

That is the highest in NCAA women's basketball.

How come nobody talk about him being overpaid and ask him to take a pay cut?

All you hear is Calhoun is overpaid and should take a paycut. Calhoun is not even close to being the highest paid coach in men's basketball.

Also, the men's program take in a lot more money for the university.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2011, 05:15 PM

2,080 posts, read 3,921,412 times
Calhoun makes 2.6 million, so what? Those guys bring in a ton of dough to the university.

Old 03-11-2011, 05:30 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,903,161 times
Actually rhe Athletics Program at UConn makes the school a lot of money. These two coaches brought UConn from a virtually unknown state college to a powerhouse in basketball. That has added a lot to the prestege of the school and the state. Auriemma's teams keep winning and Calhoun's have done so too. This even helped bring football to UConn. Why shouldn't they be paid well? It costs the state nothing really since they get their pay from the money the Athletic Department makes on TV and merchandising. Jay

Old 03-11-2011, 05:52 PM

1 posts, read 13,881 times
I read that the trip to the Fiesta Bowl cost UCONN over $2.5 mm

Old 03-11-2011, 06:02 PM

712 posts, read 757,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetto View Post
Calhoun makes 2.6 million, so what? Those guys bring in a ton of dough to the university.
I'm not complaining about Calhoun's salary. I just think the Media is bias against him.

The Men's program bring in a lot more money then the Women.

Old 03-11-2011, 06:49 PM

2,080 posts, read 3,921,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wma152 View Post
I'm not complaining about Calhoun's salary. I just think the Media is bias against him.

The Men's program bring in a lot more money then the Women.
I agree. They ought to go after the assistant of the assistant of the assistant of the muckety mucks where there is no value added. Malloy could strategically layoff ~10,000 people and consolidate myriad departments, saving so much money they could pay Calhoun 100 million a year and nobody would notice.

Old 03-11-2011, 10:27 PM

856 posts, read 2,014,568 times
There may be stardom and money in/money out but I think the drama of a sports school takes something away from its educational prestige. I guess it's up to prospective students to decide if they want to pay tens of thousands of dollars in tuition for a school like that. Not saying they dont have educational merits but I've heard enough stories to make me wonder about that place.

Old 03-12-2011, 07:30 AM

243 posts, read 773,785 times
So you hear stories and automatically it's not a "prestigious" school.

I know for a fact that UConn students work extremely hard academically and if you hear about them "partying", so what? Some horrific events have taken place on campus the last few years, all of them coming at the hands of people who did NOT attend and had no AFFILIATION with the school.

All colleges have students who party, and most colleges have annual spring weekends, etc. UConn seems "notorious" in this right because you all happen to live in Connecticut so of course it will make headlines.

Don't judge a school on it's problems with "partying" and it's athletics reputation. UConn is not an easy school to get into and it has great academic programs.

Jim Calhoun and Geno Aurreimma have helped that school get put onto the map that's for sure and there is nothing wrong with that. Many students like to have the opportunity to be apart of something else besides academics, sports is an area for them to do that and having good athletic programs is not a bad thing. Look at the schools in the Big East: Syracuse, Georgetown, Villanova, Pittsburgh, etc. These are all good schools with good athletic programs and academics.

I'm sorry everyone can't go to Harvard or Yale.

By the way look up how much Duke University's head bball coach makes, most likely the same if not more than Calhoun. Duke is one of the most prestegious universities in the United States.

Old 03-12-2011, 12:51 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,000,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetsNY View Post
Jim Calhoun and Geno Aurreimma have helped that school get put onto the map that's for sure and there is nothing wrong with that.
I agree. I'd go so far to say that big new stadium in East Hartford and the Huskies football program got it's start with the UCONN women's team, which expanded to the men's team. Without that exposure and attention, I doubt UCONN would have gone 1A football.

My big issue is how college sports has seem to become more about "big business" than an extra curricular activity. Way to many athletes are just waved on through because they can dunk or throw a ball. It's a shame.

Old 03-16-2011, 09:42 PM

856 posts, read 2,014,568 times
I said it takes away from some of it's prestige...I didnt say it wasn't prestigious...I could easily have taken point with other schools with issues but the thread is about uconn related coaches...so anyway...as I said it's up to students to decide if they want to go there same as any other school that has excess media attention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut