Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 09:37 PM

345 posts, read 914,113 times

Advertisements

Hmm while I hate paying it I am happy to hear that you guys are lower then we are on car taxes/tags/reg. Well except JV who pays about the same. Bob lol I am guessing you do not have a car

Here:
New pick up truck is $800 plus road fees ( $70 extra)
the next year is is $680'ish plus road fees
year after it is $550 and so on

Right now my '03 Escape is $250'ish plus $70 in road fees. While I haul around hay, animals and feed in the back of my SUV not to mention crazy teenagers I shall not be getting a new one I will buy a used one when the time comes.

So no state car inspections? I hated those in NY, hand them your wallet and bend over! lol Here we have emissions every two years $25 but no car inspections. I guess that is the price you pay for no inspections, high car tags.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2011, 11:25 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
gmm, Wrong, but we have no car property taxes here in any town/county I'm aware of in metro Nashville. Even when the car was brand new! Registration (annual) via mail is around $75. Drivers Licenses are 6 years, around $25 per renewal.

Old 03-15-2011, 06:37 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,006,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmm_24 View Post
Hmm while I hate paying it I am happy to hear that you guys are lower then we are on car taxes/tags/reg. Well except JV who pays about the same. Bob lol I am guessing you do not have a car

Here:
New pick up truck is $800 plus road fees ( $70 extra)
the next year is is $680'ish plus road fees
year after it is $550 and so on

Right now my '03 Escape is $250'ish plus $70 in road fees. While I haul around hay, animals and feed in the back of my SUV not to mention crazy teenagers I shall not be getting a new one I will buy a used one when the time comes.

So no state car inspections? I hated those in NY, hand them your wallet and bend over! lol Here we have emissions every two years $25 but no car inspections. I guess that is the price you pay for no inspections, high car tags.
I'm not sure where you are getting your figures, but the calculator for CO that I just used (I was checking into CO a while back myself.) saved me about $300.00 per year on taxes vs here just on one vehicle. (Nevermind the $4000 on property taxes for the house and $1000.00 in income tax.)

That pickup you talk about above, going by my vehicle an almost new F250 Diesel Powerstroke was about $550.00.

El Paso County, Colorado. Clerk and Recorder

The bottom line is this. You WILL NOT save money on taxes by moving to CT. To think so is a pipe dream. We consistent are # 1 2 or 3 in the nation in regard to total tax burden. Justify whatever wish all you like, but that's the reality.

Old 03-15-2011, 09:25 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Tennessee has annual car taxes? First I've heard of this...

Old 03-15-2011, 10:16 AM

Annual registration, no car property taxes of any kind.

The amounts many states charge for this is absurd.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:19 AM

345 posts, read 914,113 times
JV I know I will not be saving on house taxes, they are about double to triple where I am looking then here. Sales tax is lower there, here on average I pay 9.75%, employment tax is 1.37% higher then here, here it is 4.63%.
I am from NY so I have an idea of the cost of living is there, not as bad as NY but still not pretty. If I want to be closer to family, friends and the ocean I am going to pay for that privledge.

First I do not live in the Springs and I doubt their plates are that much cheaper. I also would not rely on a website to give me real figures, our county does not have one for a reason, it is not accurate and people would argue would want to pay the cheaper estimate So my figures are more accurate then any guesses made online, since I get mine from the DMV and have to actually pay it.

Twelve years ago in Adams County I paid for a 2 door coupe $300 and change. More then my car payment.
The truck is my neighbor's big pick up that is what he has paid.
My friend for her new Envoy paid over $700 the first year. She almost cried since it was higher then her car payment.
My son's 07 Ranger new bought in 08 and the plates cost $575 and change. The road fees sent it to over $600. One small truck, cost for one year. Not due yet this year but it has not dropped to under $300 yet.
Husband's tiny car $330 plus road fees. also one stinking day late and he got slapped with a $25 late fee and had to pay for an extra month

So you can say we pay so much less then you do in CT but it simply is not true.

You want to argue who pays more that's fine, but I know what we pay and it ain't cheap. You pay more then others in CT maybe due to your county and truck size, etc. But argue all you like it is not cheap to have a car here. I have been paying it for almost 16 years now and I know the actual costs involved.

Bob that is cheating you are not in CT lol.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:58 AM

Forums are public, and its interesting to watch the approach different states have towards budget deficits and taxation. Even cities have varying approaches; New Haven has cut heads to partially bridge their budget problems.

Old 03-15-2011, 03:04 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,006,712 times
Quote:
If I want to be closer to family, friends and the ocean I am going to pay for that privledge.
Understood, that's cool. Just know you've been warned.

Old 03-16-2011, 09:36 AM

487 posts, read 536,988 times
Quote:
You pay more then others in CT maybe due to your county and truck size, etc. But argue all you like it is not cheap to have a car here. I have been paying it for almost 16 years now and I know the actual costs involved.
Property tax on private vehicles has nothing to do with the size but rather the book value. Higher the value of the vehicle the more you pay in taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut