Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 10:07 AM

2,256 posts, read 4,497,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjinla View Post
Absolutely, but you also have every right to enforce minimum credit and income requirements, and almost no section 8 recipient it going to pass those. And in no decent area would section 8 ever come close to covering rent - another work around. There are legal ways around everything, and it is very hard to prove explicit discrimination (not that many section 8 recipients are going to hire a lawyer anyway.)

Stereotypes? In CA at least, 15% of all new construction and large complexes had to be allocated to section 8. They completely ruined areas like Palmdale and Lancaster to the point that the MAYOR proposed limiting the number of section 8 recipients well below the current limit. Say what you want, but ask any landlord that has ever accepted section 8 in a decent area if they were their best tenants, and the answer is a resounding NO.

Anyone needing temporary assistance is OK with me, but there are generations of families living on section 8 and welfare in the US. That is just plain wrong.
Again... You have absolutely NO clue about Ct. housing laws. It's actually very hard to DEFEND yourself against discriminatory housing claims in Ct. The complete opposite of what you claim. And as far as lawyers.. lol.. so far off the mark. Plenty of lawyers in Ct willing to take those cases pro bno or for a "piece of the pie"

Again, you obviously have no clue on how this works in Ct, since you were even oblivious to the law to begin with AND you're certainly oblivious to HOW it works in this state. So please, keep your gross generalizations, bigotry and law breaking in NY and out of Ct thank you.

Last edited by LRPct; 05-01-2011 at 10:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2011, 10:37 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,863,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjinla View Post
It's completely legal for a landlord NOT to accept section 8.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post
Says Chapter 814c of the Ct General Statues... In Ct ( as well as D.C., Ma, and NJ ), "any lawful source of income" is a protected class.. It is NOT legal to discriminate against any protected class in housing in CT, and the penalties are rather severe.
I'm confused here LRP. My understanding of the law is that a landlord is not required to open his/her property up to inspection by a 3rd party for Section 8 approval, nor are they required to fill out Section 8 paperwork.

No inspection and no paperwork= No participation in the Section 8 voucher program.

Old 05-01-2011, 10:48 AM

2,256 posts, read 4,497,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
I'm confused here LRP. My understanding of the law is that a landlord is not required to open his/her property up to inspection by a 3rd party for Section 8 approval, nor are they required to fill out Section 8 paperwork.

No inspection and no paperwork= No participation in the Section 8 voucher program.
In regard to the OP they were talking about acceptance/nonacceptance of a section 8 tenant. If that is a concern I'd have to assume that it is a section 8 endorsed property. If you discriminate against section 8 you're FUBARed.

Old 05-03-2011, 07:01 AM

1,497 posts, read 4,458,855 times
LOL...that's exactly what I was saying by stating that you are not legally required to accept section 8, but perhaps I didn't dumb it down enough for some people to understand on this board.

I see you are much better at name-calling than refuting my point that section 8 tenants are, in general, negative additions to local communities. If you are more interested in promoting equality than having a childish argument than go ahead, dig up an article anywhere to refute my point...

Old 05-03-2011, 08:05 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Please stop the bickering. JayCT, Moderator

Old 12-20-2017, 01:58 PM

1 posts, read 731 times
I really think it SHOULD be illeagal for a landlord to evict during winter just Nov until March. Homelessness is a growing crisis. Winter is the worst time to get an apartment. Rents are way to high and more people should be allowed section 8 not just 1000 out of 10000. The ones with the new cars and latest smart phones should be kicked off section 8 or seriously investigated.

Old 12-20-2017, 03:10 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,838,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vradz1202 View Post
I really think it SHOULD be illeagal for a landlord to evict during winter just Nov until March. Homelessness is a growing crisis. Winter is the worst time to get an apartment. Rents are way to high and more people should be allowed section 8 not just 1000 out of 10000. The ones with the new cars and latest smart phones should be kicked off section 8 or seriously investigated.
So you saying that if a tenant fails to pay rent, a landlord should be forced to support a tenant during the winter months? Seriously???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut