Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 10:02 PM

680 posts, read 1,575,216 times

Advertisements

Can you tell us where your husband works in Norwalk? That may help us plan his commute route and see which town offers the least congested route.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 12:23 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiv808 View Post
I don't believe that. A handful, maybe. Calling Michael Bolton a musician is a bit of a stretch.

It's too expensive for the kind of artist colony population it used to have. But yeah, it does have a few decent art establishments in town. Arts Center and Playhouse.
It may not stioll have the "starving artists" it once had but it still has a sizable number of artistic people. Most are successful or wealthy but they are still artistic and support a good arts program. Jay

Old 03-23-2011, 05:50 AM

21,615 posts, read 31,176,528 times
Westport is very much home to corporate executives out of Norwalk and Stamford. Not saying it doesn't have an "artistic" population but that is certainly not the majority anymore.

I'm not sure why I keep reading that people are surprised how residents of Westport are dining in Fairfield - it's the town next door.

Old 03-23-2011, 01:30 PM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I'm not sure why I keep reading that people are surprised how residents of Westport are dining in Fairfield - it's the town next door.
Not so many years ago Fairfield had few decent dining options. People went to Westport to eat at better restaurants. Now that it is a bit of the other way around is a surprise to us old timers.

Also I am not saying that Westport does not have "corporate types" but the more conservative corporate people tend to move to Darien, New Canaan and greenwich. The more artsy types (media execs, marketing, advertising, etc.) tend to gravitate to Westport. This gives Westport a more artistic population than other towns in the area. Jay

Old 04-02-2011, 06:58 AM

2 posts, read 2,456 times
Default Thanks for all the suggestions

We have visited homes in Westport, Darien and Greenwich and by a wide margin prefer Westport. Going further north/east wouldn't be an option for commute reasons, but Westport seems like the perfect choice. Thanks to all for your advice.

Old 04-02-2011, 08:15 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,131,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingfromwestchestertoCT View Post
We have visited homes in Westport, Darien and Greenwich and by a wide margin prefer Westport. Going further north/east wouldn't be an option for commute reasons, but Westport seems like the perfect choice. Thanks to all for your advice.
Good luck! I am moving back to Westport myself this summer. See you at Compo!

Old 04-02-2011, 08:26 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,131,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiv808 View Post
I don't believe that. A handful, maybe. Calling Michael Bolton a musician is a bit of a stretch.

It's too expensive for the kind of artist colony population it used to have. But yeah, it does have a few decent art establishments in town. Arts Center and Playhouse.
This is more indicative of the Westport Arts Scene: WestportNow.com - Westport, Connecticut's 24-hours News and Information Source

One of Michael Bolton's daughters was in my graduating class at Staples. I didn't know her well, but it wasn't uncommon to see him at PTA meetings and other school events. Still, not a big fan.

Old 04-02-2011, 09:25 AM

21,721 posts, read 28,042,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingfromwestchestertoCT View Post
Fairfield would be about the same commute, and your money would go further. It was recently ranked as one of the top 10 places to live in Money Magazine. Give it a look, the commute is virtually the same as Westport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut