Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 06:58 AM

576 posts, read 1,213,622 times

Advertisements

^ We better get real spring weather soon

Old 03-24-2011, 07:02 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,849,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Not sure why people listen to this Gill Simmons character..how he still has a job is beyond me...I never saw or heard about him but Im not sure why people even listen or mention him..
I flip back and forth between the Ct. forecasters just to see what each are predicting. I certainly don't take any one of their forecasts as written in stone.

Old 03-24-2011, 11:59 AM

106 posts, read 368,320 times
I don't know which is worse the people who "predict/forecast" the weather on TV/this message board and shove "the sky is falling" message down our throats or the failure to say "what the hell do i know and i'm so sorry for saying 2 inches/5 inches/9 inches ( insert figure because we didn't even get a half an inch or even a quarter of an inch) and I have no credibility."

I mean really did anyone watch the TV yesterday and see all the closings, cancellations and early dismissals due to absolutely nothing? It seems Wall Street speculates on oil causing prices to go up and weather-people speculate on extremes and shut down whole areas. With all this technology is this what we've come to? It seems we're blindly guessing and then shrugging when we're completely wrong with a smile. There are posters here who put whole weather pattern screens up and make opinions/estimates. Oh, but a breeze shifted the storm and we might have gotten a foot, but didn't. Okay, um, I played the lottery today and might have won a million dollars if I bought the next ticket or played another number but didn't.

Whose with me on this?

Old 03-24-2011, 12:23 PM

1,607 posts, read 3,079,000 times
this weather predicting will never be 100% accurate but true, over the past 15 years or so I've notices weather forecasters really getting into playing up a storm and becoming alarmists, etc, scaring people to hide under their beds.

Perfect example, last year around September 3rd or so when we were "supposed" to get hit with the outskirts of Hurricane Earl, if you listened to their forecast CT was going to get smashed to oblivion, I used to work in the fishing industry so following weather was 2nd nature to me. I looked at some very good websites and what the weather men said and what these websites said were complete opposite in terms of wind speed, precip amounts, etc. Someone was wrong, guess who it was. I distinctly remember grilling the evening the storm was supposed to crush us and laughing at it.

I guess their philosophy is "predict the worse case scenario" If they are right they say, "see we warned you, continue to check in with Channel whatever for more updates"
If they are wrong, they say "wow we dodged a bullet with that storm, could have been much worse" and are happy as well.

I watch a few things and make my own judgement. Last night I was up around midnight, zero precip at that time in Glastonbury. This morning I wouldn't even call it a dusting, didn't even need to brush off windows of my truck. Listening to last night CT weathermen were all over the place.

Old 03-24-2011, 02:34 PM

576 posts, read 1,213,622 times
Thank god all the snows on the grass are gone! YES! sorry snow lovers

Old 03-24-2011, 02:36 PM

34,727 posts, read 56,531,322 times
Since this weather event is over I am closing down this thread. To talk about weather please use the Connecticut Weather thread at the top of this forum. Thanks, Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut