Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 06:44 PM

27 posts, read 45,808 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My next job is in Hartford, CT., while my wife works in NYC. I am looking for a good place to stay which could satisfy both criteria. I am ok in driving around 1 hour each day. Please let me know some good places which could satisify these criteria and some good apartments.

san.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 07:09 PM

576 posts, read 1,218,877 times
It takes 2-3 hour drive with no traffic. Taking a train could be better for you. Just drive to New Haven which is 45 min drive and take metro north train riding to NYC

Old 03-21-2011, 08:13 PM

I am ok in staying any place near new haven, ct, so that I can drive to hartford and she can take a train. I have seen a few places like milford, hamden etc, but not sure which is the best one among them.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:40 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,759,960 times
There is really no place in CT which is going to give you decent commuting access to both NYC and Hartford. From New Haven itself, it is going to take probably close to 50-60 minutes to Hartford, at a minimum, if there is no traffic and there is always traffic at commuter hours.

Your wife however will have a couple of hours commute at least one way to NYC daily or four hours a day.

If you decide to do this, you want to be as close to the train line as possible. That rules out Hamden which is inland. Your wife will have to get from your home to the train, then take the train and then depending on where she works in NYC, possibly taking the subway or buses to her office. It is going to get old fast. Sorry I am not being optimistic, but it is what it is.

Old 03-21-2011, 09:26 PM

Thanks a lot for the info. I think now Millford comes to my mind, from where we could atleast try to make it work, since I have seen a few apartments from where she could walk down to station. She does not have any changes from grand central as the office is pretty near. I think my drive will be little high than my expectation of 1 hour, it might be around > 1.5 hrs depending on the traffic.

Old 03-21-2011, 09:31 PM

21,751 posts, read 28,077,952 times
Milford is a great town, and if you're in walking distance to the train station, you're probably in a very nice area (downtown is great).

Milford to Hartford isn't too bad, especially if you take the Merritt to 91 instead of 95 (going through New Haven interchange should be avoided at rush hour).

Some of the express trains at rush hour from Milford to GCT are around 80 minutes. It's not ideal, but much more doable than New Haven. Hamden or anything north of New Haven would be a hellish commute to NYC.

Stratford wouldn't be a bad choice either.

Old 03-22-2011, 06:33 AM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times
NY is about 120 miles from Hartford so living in between will mean a long commute in different directions for both of you. Milford or Stratford would be about an hour from Hartford but the commute into NY would be longer. They are good towns if you want a more suburban location.

If you want a more urban location, you may want to consider downtown New Haven. Apartments there are within walking distance to either Union Station or State Street Station so the train options for your wife's commute would be the best. New Haven is about 40 miles from Hartford so in rush hour your commute would be about an hour. Either way you both will have a long day. Good luck, Jay

Old 03-22-2011, 08:42 AM

576 posts, read 1,218,877 times
But is there supposed to be a metro north train in Waterbury?

Old 03-22-2011, 08:52 AM

21,751 posts, read 28,077,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelic_Avalon View Post
But is there supposed to be a metro north train in Waterbury?
There is, but it's pretty slow and it doesn't connect with the New Haven line and one has to transfer. Commuting from Waterbury to NYC would be around 2.5 hours each way. Not really feasible.

Old 03-22-2011, 09:12 AM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiv808 View Post
There is, but it's pretty slow and it doesn't connect with the New Haven line and one has to transfer. Commuting from Waterbury to NYC would be around 2.5 hours each way. Not really feasible.
The Waterbury line does connect to the New Haven line. It is actually a branch off of the New Haven line. The tracks join in Milford and the trains stop in Bridgeport. I do not think any of the trains go beyond Bridgeport so you have to switch trains to continue to NY. The train service on the Waterbury line is limited. Plus the commute from Waterbury to Hartford is not good. I-84 west of Hartford is probably the worst approach to the city. I would stay with living directly along the New Haven line. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut