Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2011, 07:04 PM

36 posts, read 92,530 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=3]Hello everyone – [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]A while back, I initially posted the following info regarding a move to CT. Since then, I’ve accepted a position in Hartford and my wife is working in Windsor. I’ve received excellent feedback regarding the various areas based on our criteria below. We have looked at Granby, Simsbury, Avon, Farmington, West Hartford, and Glastonbury. Of these, we currently prefer Simsbury, Avon, and Glastonbury. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]However, I wanted to ask for feedback on Middlesex County. Are there any towns that would still meet the criteria in my initial post below? I’ve heard wonderful things about Essex and Old Saybrook, but fear these might be too far of a commute to Hartford and Windsor. What about Middletown - too much of a college town or would you consider this to be similar to Burlington, VT or Northampton, MA? Are there any additional towns that have a coastal feel? Or, am I better off sticking w/ the Farmington Valley towns to meet my criteria below? Many thanks![/SIZE]
My wife and I both lived in Boston for several years, and are eager to make the move back to New England. That said, we haven't really been to CT...Only a weekend in Madison. We're true New Englanders and would prefer to find a town that does have a 'new england feel'. If it helps, I think our ideal city would be very similar to Burlington, VT, Shelburne, VT, Portland, ME, Kennebunkport, ME, Marblehead MA, or Hingham, MA

We're both in our early 30's, and would like to have kids in a couple of years. We're both very active; enjoy canoeing, sailing, attending concerts, sox games, play squash & lacrosse, take trips to VT, ME, MV, ACK etc.

Are you able to recommend some areas based on the following?

- Price Range: up to $450k
- commute less than 45 mins to
Windsor, CT
- be able to walk or short drive to restaurants, bars, brew pubs, coffee shops
- area with grocery and or box stores
- prefer young families / young professionals
- safe area (able to park on street w/out having to worry about break ins)
- exc schools/sports programs

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 08:22 PM

2,856 posts, read 10,429,058 times
Why live in middlesex county to commute to Hartford and Windsor when you could like in the Farmington Valley and have a shorter commute for both of you?

Old 03-21-2011, 08:27 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,754,293 times
Essex and Old Saybrook are much too, too far to commute to Windsor and are a diifficult commute to Hartford. Traffic can be horrible and any bad weather or fender bender will have you sitting on the highway with long delays.

Middletown schools underperform. The town is nothing like Burlington or North
hampton. There is a nice area of restaurants bars along a short section of Main St. However, it is but 4 blocks or so long and once you've seen it, well you've seen it.

For a walkable downtown area you can't beat West Hartford. Your work is going to keep you based in north central CT. Make your life easy and stick to the Farmington Valley or Glastonbury. Even look in Suffield, which is very charming for New England atmosphere, although it doesn't have the walkable shopping/restaurant section. You don't want to spend your life fighting traffic.

Good luck

Old 03-22-2011, 05:54 AM

34,917 posts, read 56,893,272 times
I agree that Essex and Old Saybrook are too far from Hartford and Windsor. I also think you should stick to the towns you are looking in. The Farmington Valley is beautiful and charming and is one of the more desirable areas to live in greater Hartford. The towns there meet all of your criteria and the commute to Windsor and Hartford would be less than 45 minutes. Glastonbury too would fit your criteria. It is up to you which would work best for you. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut