Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 08:10 PM

50 posts, read 144,794 times

Advertisements

I am relocating my family and we really like Westport but we want to see other options first. We really like the size (could be a little smaller), nice homes, water, location, schools, and safety. Do you know any similar towns? Thanks

(ps does not have to be in connecticut)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 06:14 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,758,510 times
Look at New Canaan, CT, two towns to the west of Westport. Shore line town, superb schools. Westport has 27,000 people- New Canaan, about 19-20,000. However, Westport has always had a strong arts presence, giving it a cachet and vibe all its own.

Other than the half dozen or so largest cities in CT, you will find good to decent schools and safety throughout the state. The largest cities have typical urban issues.

It seems to me, though, that where you will be working is going to indicate to you where you will live. Unless you are retired, it's job first, then housing considerations. The CT economy is not better than anywhere else in the country at this time, unfortunately.

Other towns in CT you might like, but far from the super expensive, lower Fairfield county, gold coast would be Guilford and Madison in south central CT. Gorgeous, waterfront towns, very New Englandy in type with good schools. They're not inexpensive but far more affordable than lower Fairfield county. They are similar in population to Westport & New Canaan if size is a consideration..

Good luck

Old 03-29-2011, 06:34 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,134,556 times
As a Westport native, in my opinion, while there are cities that compare demographically, few compare to the interesting engaged vibe in Westport.

New Cannan is NOT a shoreline town. While proximate to the coast it is not on the water and doesn't have a public beach (if I am not mistaken).

People who consider Westport frequently also consider Darien, which is a town with similar demographics and excellent schools.

Old 03-29-2011, 06:41 AM

1,329 posts, read 2,629,074 times
Although most of these places are less ritzy than Westport, towns that come to mind are Burlington, VT, Portsmouth, NH, Portland, ME, and Amherst, MA. Possibly Newport, RI. These don't all have great schools, though.

Also, towns outside of Boston might fit. Lexington, Newton, and if you're looking for something on the water, Marblehead.

Have you toured shoreline towns in CT? You might want to research the specifics you're looking for and then visit them.

Last edited by nico7; 03-29-2011 at 07:00 AM..

Old 03-29-2011, 08:21 AM

21,744 posts, read 28,070,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
As a Westport native, in my opinion, while there are cities that compare demographically, few compare to the interesting engaged vibe in Westport.
You mean snobby housewives, no good restaurants and zero nightlife? There are some qualities, but I have worked in Westport for almost 4 years and don't find it to be all that great.

Fairfield is similar and IMO a better town with a more down-to-earth attitude and more things to do. And cheaper!

Old 03-29-2011, 08:31 AM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiv808 View Post
You mean snobby housewives, no good restaurants and zero nightlife? There are some qualities, but I have worked in Westport for almost 4 years and don't find it to be all that great.

Fairfield is similar and IMO a better town with a more down-to-earth attitude and more things to do. And cheaper!
LOL, ah, Westport is not all that bad. A lot of the people who live there are very friendly and many of the women there hold high positions. Fairfield is a beautiful town though I find it to be snootier than Westport believe it or not. It's the town people move to who are priced out of Westport, so perhaps it's a bit of an inferiority complex.

Old 03-29-2011, 08:44 AM

21,744 posts, read 28,070,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
LOL, ah, Westport is not all that bad. A lot of the people who live there are very friendly and many of the women there hold high positions. Fairfield is a beautiful town though I find it to be snootier than Westport believe it or not. It's the town people move to who are priced out of Westport, so perhaps it's a bit of an inferiority complex.
Both have a snooty element. They are certainly both nice enough towns for the suburban lifestyle.

Old 03-29-2011, 08:59 AM

34,926 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Quote:

I disagree. I think your expectations are high for a suburban community and you are confusing living in a town verses working in a town. They are totally different. There are many good restaurants in Westport and who wants a nightlife where you want to raise a family? People are not paying top dollar to live in Westport because the town stinks.

As for similar towns, there really aren't a lot. Westport is unique. Shoreline towns in Connecticut to consider would include Fairfield, Darien, Greenwich, Branford, Guilford and Madison. Each of those towns are different from Westport but have some of the qualities that are similar to Westport. If I had to pick I would consider Guilford and Madison. Jay

Old 03-29-2011, 10:08 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,858,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ck96 View Post
I am relocating my family and we really like Westport but we want to see other options first. We really like the size (could be a little smaller), nice homes, water, location, schools, and safety. Do you know any similar towns? Thanks

(ps does not have to be in connecticut)
Madison(CT) always seemed like a "Westport Light" to me.

Old 03-29-2011, 11:03 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,134,556 times
Quote:

Fairfield is twice the size of Westport.

People don't live in Westport for nightlife. That's what the city is for. I find, in general, the people in Westport (now and when I lived there) to be pretty friendly and down to Earth. It seems like you are buying in to a stereotype that is more legend than reality. Sure there are snobby people in Westport. There are also snobby people in Trumbull....

As far as no good restaurants-- Are you insane? The Dressing Room is frequently recognized as one of the best in the state. Little Kitchen is great Chinese... River Grille, Black Duck, Postiano's, Acqua... Even the diner is decent. There really is something for everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut