Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 07:23 AM

9 posts, read 29,400 times

Advertisements

We will be relocating from Darien CT to the Hartford Area and are looking for a town similar to the vibe of Fairfield county. I have been focused on Farmington but am wondering if there are other towns to consider? I am looking for: very good schools, a cute/walkable downtown area, nice town amenities (we will miss the beach and wonder if any of the towns in Hartford have nice rec options) and a nice family feel. Any thoughts would be appreciated! Also, if farmington is the answer are there certain areas that I should look at? Would love a neighborhood with lots of kids
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 07:39 AM

8,155 posts, read 20,999,179 times
West Hartford IMO is the closest. Simsbury as well. (The downtown) I actually would NOT put Farmington in that category. Farmington is more of a historic New England village. Glastonbury kind of, but no "walkable" downtown really.

West Hartford Downtown

Old 03-29-2011, 07:42 AM

21,615 posts, read 31,180,666 times
I agree with West Hartford. The downtown is very nice, but is fairly large. Either way, if you want a walkable downtown, you'll want to focus on West Hartford.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I agree with West Hartford. The downtown is very nice, but is fairly large. Either way, if you want a walkable downtown, you'll want to focus on West Hartford.
The only other "small" town with a downtown area I can think of is New Hartford.

Here is a post with more pics:

//www.city-data.com/forum/7123554-post12.html

Well, Newington does but it's not really "upscale" in comparison.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:55 AM

9 posts, read 29,400 times
I liked that Farmington had lower taxes than west hartford. I was thinking that if we lived in west hartford side of farmington then we could use it just the same but get the taxes and schools of farmington. Do any of these towns have good rec options?

Old 03-29-2011, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citymomcountrymom View Post
I liked that Farmington had lower taxes than west hartford. I was thinking that if we lived in west hartford side of farmington then we could use it just the same but get the taxes and schools of farmington. Do any of these towns have good rec options?
Not sure about specific rec options, but Farmington is a very family friendly town. It is close to West Hartford so you can definitely take advantage of downtown. Check out Avon, as well. It has more of the "Fairfield County vibe" going on.

Old 03-29-2011, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Not sure about specific rec options, but Farmington is a very family friendly town. It is close to West Hartford so you can definitely take advantage of downtown. Check out Avon, as well. It has more of the "Fairfield County vibe" going on.
X2.

You most certainly can live on the Northeast side of Farmington and have WH act as your downtown. In fact "farmington avenue" goes through downtown WH. Avon is a little harder because you have to go over the mountain, which also gives it a little more isolated feel from WH but it is also doable.

Old 03-29-2011, 08:14 AM

2,495 posts, read 4,718,599 times
I'm surprised nobody mentioned Simsbury. They have pretty much everything the OP is looking for - top-notch schools, a nice, quaint downtown on Hopmeadow Street, wonderful public amenities. I know it's a bit off the beaten path but it's close to Hartford and it's just overall a great place. Don't get me wrong, WH and Farmington are def worth a look, but so is Simsbury IMO

Old 03-29-2011, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
I'm surprised nobody mentioned Simsbury. They have pretty much everything the OP is looking for - top-notch schools, a nice, quaint downtown on Hopmeadow Street, wonderful public amenities. I know it's a bit off the beaten path but it's close to Hartford and it's just overall a great place. Don't get me wrong, WH and Farmington are def worth a look, but so is Simsbury IMO
Agreed.

Old 03-29-2011, 08:24 AM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
West Hartford has a similar downtown, but the town itself is not nearly as affluent. I'm not sure any towns really compare to the wealth and feeling of Darien. Simsbury, Glastonbury and Avon have a bit of an upscale feel to them, so you may want to check those out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut