Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 10:22 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiv808 View Post
In comparison, the Hartford area can get away with having less public options than Fairfield County. Vast amounts more people commute in the 95 corridor, period. That's why despite a decent commuter train, and 2 parallel highways - things are still taxed. And again, we're not living in NYC - not everyone in southern CT can use public transportation to get to work. Many of us are limited to cars.
But many in Fairfield County do have the option to take the train. That option does not exist in the Hartford area. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2011, 10:22 AM

370 posts, read 608,807 times
So in summary...

Illegals who don't own cars get a busway between New Britain & Hartford.

Legal tax paying citizens get nice trees planted along the Merritt Parkway between Bridgeport & Greenwich.

Old 04-05-2011, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
This type of transportation will only attract those who do not have a car. This will NOT reduce traffic on 84, not even by a little bit. The region is too car-centric, and a 9 point something mile bus route won't do anything to alleviate congestion. I'm not saying those who don't have a car shouldn't be transported around, because it's needed, but for $600 million during extremely turbulent times? Get outta here.

Seriously. It's unbelievable. More and more, I'm embarrassed to live in this state.
If we are ever going to get people out of their cars in the Hartford area, you will have to provide them an option for mass transit. The New Britain Hartford Busway gives them that option. The whole bus network west of Hartford will be reworked to feed into the busway and cut down on travel time into downtown. This project has been in the works for 15 years and to stop it now will set the state back at least 10 years in providing for better mass transit in the Hartford area. If not now, when would be a good time? Right now construction costs are lower than they have been in years. Jay

2,080 posts, read 3,923,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Do you not see all those giant cranes and piles of dirt around the interchange? They are pretty hard not to notice. Already traffic is getting better with the opening of extra lanes on I-95 southbound in East Haven and Branford and on I-91 southbound to I-95 Southbound. Soon the new flyover connecting I-95 northbound to Route 34 will be opened so you should notice another change. It will however be several years before all of the improvements are complete. Jay
Honestly I dont drive that way with any regularity, but the last time i did my blood pressure was pretty elevated. Its been a mess there for a looong time. I'm glad they're attempting to address it.

21,752 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Quote:
But many in Fairfield County do have the option to take the train. That option does not exist in the Hartford area. Jay
No, and it wouldn't be a bad thing - but train != bus.

Old 04-05-2011, 10:30 AM

11,298 posts, read 18,888,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipperman View Post
what exactly is a busway? don't buses drive on roads?
It's a special "right of way" that only has buses and has stations/stops much like a commuter rail or a subway. It's kind of a "cheap" (but still not cheap) way for a smaller city to have "rapid transit". Sometimes, cities with existing subways like Boston have added these to expand their "subway system".

I personally think that if you're going to do anything at all in that area, extending Metro North's Waterbury branch to Hartford might make more sense, as well as creating the New Haven to Springfield commuter rail extension out of the existing Amtrak infrastructure.

Old 04-05-2011, 10:31 AM

2,080 posts, read 3,923,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Whoops i misread , yea its only 572 Million $ but still very expensive for a Busway....should be 140 Million $. Sounds like the state went for the highest bidder instead of the lowest or best bidder.... NJT/NJDOT bought up alot of abandoned Railways back in the 80s , about 20 lines reserved for future Passenger and Freight service. But NY , CT , MA , RI , NH , ME , and PA did the same on a smaller scale ,so i don't understand why restoring costs are higher then NJ if your state bought up the right of way years ago. This goes for all proposed / planned lines....
This same plan was in the works ~1998 and was quoted at about $78 million. Heard it on NPR this morning, so you know its the truth...

Old 04-05-2011, 10:32 AM

21,752 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Quote:
If we are ever going to get people out of their cars in the Hartford area, you will have to provide them an option for mass transit. The New Britain Hartford Busway gives them that option. The whole bus network west of Hartford will be reworked to feed into the busway and cut down on travel time into downtown. This project has been in the works for 15 years and to stop it now will set the state back at least 10 years in providing for better mass transit in the Hartford area. If not now, when would be a good time? Right now construction costs are lower than they have been in years. Jay
Just because something has been worked on for 15 years does not mean it is an efficient use of money or a smart decision.

Old 04-05-2011, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Whoops i misread , yea its only 572 Million $ but still very expensive for a Busway....should be 140 Million $. Sounds like the state went for the highest bidder instead of the lowest or best bidder.... NJT/NJDOT bought up alot of abandoned Railways back in the 80s , about 20 lines reserved for future Passenger and Freight service. But NY , CT , MA , RI , NH , ME , and PA did the same on a smaller scale ,so i don't understand why restoring costs are higher then NJ if your state bought up the right of way years ago. This goes for all proposed / planned lines....
Oh yeah forgot to tell you, the project is NOT even out to bid yet. how can you comment on the bidding when it hasn't even happened yet.

As for the costs of restoring lines, it has to do with the condition of the tracks. Many of the lines in Connecticut are abandoned and would not support trains. You keep claiming NJ pays less for the same thing but have nothing to back that up. Jay

Old 04-05-2011, 10:45 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times
Quote:
Do you even know what is involved with this project? Do you have any idea of what is being done? You obviously do not. Jay
I actually have some insight , but not that much....

Quote:
Smae goes on in Glastonbury. The express buses to Hartford are full. Jay
I need proof of this.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by UconnHusky1 View Post
So in summary...

Illegals who don't own cars get a busway between New Britain & Hartford.

Legal tax paying citizens get nice trees planted along the Merritt Parkway between Bridgeport & Greenwich.
Hahaa , Illegals / Poor are more likely to use transit , unlike the middle class outside Southern part of your state. But then again only the southern part has access to Great Rail / Bus Transit.

Quote:
Oh yeah forgot to tell you, the project is NOT even out to bid yet. how can you comment on the bidding when it hasn't even happened yet.

As for the costs of restoring lines, it has to do with the condition of the tracks. Many of the lines in Connecticut are abandoned and would not support trains. You keep claiming NJ pays less for the same thing but have nothing to back that up. Jay
Someone is a little cranky today......i think you need a City - Day Vacation away form the keyboard...

Last edited by DarkWolf; 04-05-2011 at 10:56 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut