Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2011, 10:27 AM

21,564 posts, read 30,996,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelic_Avalon View Post
Who are you referring to as "confused people?"
I believe he was referring to your demographic as "confused", which IMO is pretty disturbing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2011, 10:36 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,386,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
It's not feeding into sickness. I just think it's absolutely ridiculous to assume that criminals would obey a law that can't even be enforced to begin with. Something like a time limit on guns can be enforced. Something like people with the right equipment walking into a bathroom can't be enforced anyway.
Except that criminals dont buy guns legally in the first place & theres more data showing people having been victimized while waiting for a waiting period than there is data supporting the deterrent effect of waiting periods.

On the other hand if a man walks into the girls room & stands to urinate its very obvious he is a man & that should not be permitted.

Quote:
This isn't adding an avenue for sexual predators. It's legalizing an avenue that was already there. If a man dressed as a woman and entered the ladies' restroom with the intention of assaulting someone a week before the bill was passed, no one would really be able to prove his maleness anyway, short of forcing him to strip on the spot, which is unrealistic for obvious reasons and also illegal.

This is like saying we should legalize all crime since the avenues for the crime already exist. I mean theres already avenues for people to rob, rape, murder etc, so since those avenues already exist its futile to outlaw these things, correct? Laws are not designed, nor should they be designed, to prevent crime, they are designed to punish people AFTER a crime is commited. As it stands now, as you mention, theres no way to tell a guy dressed as a woman isn't a woman, so they could go sit in any ladies room in the country without issue. Making it technically legal opens a can of worms.

Old 04-12-2011, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
Except that criminals dont buy guns legally in the first place & theres more data showing people having been victimized while waiting for a waiting period than there is data supporting the deterrent effect of waiting periods.
Where can I find this data?

Old 04-12-2011, 10:39 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,849,394 times
Quote:

Perhaps we need to stop putting "men" & "woman" signs up & instead switch to pictures of a penis or vagina.
But what if someone has both?

Old 04-12-2011, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I believe he was referring to your demographic as "confused", which IMO is pretty disturbing.

Why? If a person is going to argue that something obviously abnormal, is normal, I think confused is an appropriate description. Whats disturbing is the regularity in which many people ignore reality in order to prevent offending people.

Old 04-12-2011, 10:41 AM

576 posts, read 1,213,622 times
Tin^ are you from Connecticut?

ps: I'm not confused... nobody normal, no such thing as normal person.

Old 04-12-2011, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Why? If a person is going to argue that something obviously abnormal, is normal, I think confused is an appropriate description. Whats disturbing is the regularity in which many people ignore reality in order to prevent offending people.
What's your definition of "normal"?

I think where we disagree is whether or not someone is born gay or chooses it. For the life of me, I can't understand how folks out there believe it's a chosen lifestyle. You see suicides and severe depression among homosexuals - and yet people still think it's a choice.

So now anyone who is for gay rights is just trying to prevent offending them? Wow...

Old 04-12-2011, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Where can I find this data?

FBI crime statistics, comparing crime stats for states that have no waiting period with ours, ect. Its only difficult if you want things to turn out a certain way. As with most things at the end of the day common sense will prevail. Very few people throw a fit & decide to run out, fill out a dozen forms & subject themselves to a backround check so they can get a gun & in the heat of the moment, that actually took several hours at least, shoot someone. On the other hand, people often KNOW when they are being stalked by someone and they often know the intent of the stalker. There have been cases of women being killed by jelous husbands, boyfriends ect, who had tried to arm themselves for protection, AFTER realizing the police can do nothing, only to be denied because of waiting periods. Guns are just like most other emergency tools. Often when you need one you need it NOW.

Old 04-12-2011, 10:55 AM

Quote:
What's your definition of "normal"?

I think where we disagree is whether or not someone is born gay or chooses it. For the life of me, I can't understand how folks out there believe it's a chosen lifestyle. You see suicides and severe depression among homosexuals - and yet people still think it's a choice.
Of course its a choice. If its not then how can you explain the numbers that swap back & forth or decide they like both? I see suicides & depression with alot of people which have nothing to do with homosexuality. On the other hand, if they were born that way why would it depress them in the first place? Most people, myself included, couldnt care less about others sexual preferences.

Also, even if they were born that way its not normal. If a person is born with 11 toes thats not normal. Its no biggie, but normal it aint.

Quote:
So now anyone who is for gay rights is just trying to prevent offending them? Wow...
For the most part yes. Gay people have for decades had all the rights anybody else has. These days they have more.
This bill is a great example, in order to prevent offending homosexuals by making them use the same bathroom as the rest of society based on BIOLOGICAL sex, we make special considerations, regardless of how it may offend heterosexual people.

I dont hate anybody, but I dont tolerate foolishness well. A gay man is still a man, a lesbian is still a woman. Seems pretty cut & dry to me.

Old 04-12-2011, 10:55 AM

Quote:
FBI crime statistics, comparing crime stats for states that have no waiting period with ours, ect. Its only difficult if you want things to turn out a certain way. As with most things at the end of the day common sense will prevail. Very few people throw a fit & decide to run out, fill out a dozen forms & subject themselves to a backround check so they can get a gun & in the heat of the moment, that actually took several hours at least, shoot someone. On the other hand, people often KNOW when they are being stalked by someone and they often know the intent of the stalker. There have been cases of women being killed by jelous husbands, boyfriends ect, who had tried to arm themselves for protection, AFTER realizing the police can do nothing, only to be denied because of waiting periods. Guns are just like most other emergency tools. Often when you need one you need it NOW.
I agree with you that if someone wants a gun, they're going to get it. What I'm not finding are stats the prove what you're saying. Your reasoning hardly makes sense. Nothing in the crime stats released by the FBI say that people have been victimized due to a waiting period. IMO you're taking stats and speculating, thus forming an irrational opinion.

Quote:
Of course its a choice. If its not then how can you explain the numbers that swap back & forth or decide they like both? I see suicides & depression with alot of people which have nothing to do with homosexuality. On the other hand, if they were born that way why would it depress them in the first place? Most people, myself included, couldnt care less about others sexual preferences.

Also, even if they were born that way its not normal. If a person is born with 11 toes thats not normal. Its no biggie, but normal it aint.
THOSE people are confused. Don't confuse confused people with true homosexuals. Fact is, suicide IS higher among homosexuals - that's a fact. Even the right wing addresses that, though they put a spin on their reasons for it: http://www.rightwingwatch.org/conten...-unnatural-wro

I'll agree with you that, sure, it's abnormal by your definition and examples. But I won't agree that it's unnatural.

Quote:
For the most part yes. Gay people have for decades had all the rights anybody else has. These days they have more.
This bill is a great example, in order to prevent offending homosexuals by making them use the same bathroom as the rest of society based on BIOLOGICAL sex, we make special considerations, regardless of how it may offend heterosexual people.
How do homosexuals have more rights? They can't marry legally in most states - that's having more rights? How exactly are you offended by two guys or to ladies getting married? On average, one out of ten folks are homosexual. At a ratio of 9:1, claims of being offended is just an excuse for intolerance.

Last edited by kidyankee764; 04-12-2011 at 11:05 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut