Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 09:20 AM

21,553 posts, read 30,976,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhodyRams71 View Post
Okay I will, on my way to a real beach.
I have the best of both worlds: Living in Connecticut and having the ability to enjoy Rhode Island's beaches a short drive away. Enjoy the crowds!

Old 05-19-2011, 09:27 AM

39 posts, read 101,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I have the best of both worlds: Living in Connecticut and having the ability to enjoy Rhode Island's beaches a short drive away. Enjoy the crowds!

Um, you enjoy the traffic on your 2 hour journey. I will enjoy my private town beach in Matunck which you are not allowed on (town residents only!). Unless I invite you as my guest - highly unlikely!

Old 05-19-2011, 10:34 AM

21,553 posts, read 27,794,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhodyRams71 View Post
better food.
Bold statement! Obviously you haven't explored CT food. We have some of the best restaurants in the US.

I think both states have their qualities. I personally could not even live in RI if I wanted to since the industry I work in is barely represented in that state. So I benefit from living near NYC.

As far as "real" beaches, I do love the ocean, but parts of the sound aren't bad.

My location is a minority, but I have a private, sandy beach a short walk from my house that's never crowded. There's no parking, so only the neighborhood uses it. It's close to perfect for me, mostly because there's barely anyone on it, even on weekends, and it's big for CT standards. It's open to a big section of the sound, so you cannot see LI. It gets some small breaking waves that are relaxing to listen to. It's like a mini ocean beach. I love it.

That said, would I rather it be true open ocean? Sure, but that also comes with its own downsides.

RI has great beaches, Block Island, Newport. All great stuff. It's a state I love to visit, but could never live in.

Meanwhile, I have easy access to NYC, benefit from the jobs in my discipline in Stamford/Norwalk, short walk to a beach, and amazing restaurants nearby and tons of things to do in New Haven when I don't feel like making the trip to NYC. The downsides are traffic and weather, but no one can escape the latter in the northeast.

Old 05-19-2011, 01:05 PM

8,155 posts, read 20,934,377 times
Eh Rhody's just pissed off I went over to their board and stunk up the place when they were trashing CT.

//www.city-data.com/forum/rhode...nnecticut.html

Old 05-19-2011, 02:45 PM

34,700 posts, read 56,496,602 times
JViello - You sure did. I just added to it. I normally do not go on other state boards but some of the things being said there were just plain wrong. I especially do not agree with the statement made that RI roads are better maintained then Connecticut's. Who are they trying to kid. Jay

Old 05-19-2011, 03:39 PM

39 posts, read 101,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
JViello - You sure did. I just added to it. I normally do not go on other state boards but some of the things being said there were just plain wrong. I especially do not agree with the statement made that RI roads are better maintained then Connecticut's. Who are they trying to kid. Jay

The only thing you said that I agree with is that the roads are worse in RI. True. Everything else is just typical BS spin by CT lifers who have an identity crisis and have to go overboard defending their state because they are self conscious being surrounded by better states with more to offer. Sorry, I am the only one posting that has spent 10+ years in both states. So I have at least have direct experience in what I am talking about.

Old 05-19-2011, 05:48 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,776,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Eh Rhody's just pissed off I went over to their board and stunk up the place when they were trashing CT.

RI should be annexed to MA. Then maybe they would have an identity of some sort...

Old 05-20-2011, 12:14 AM

23,158 posts, read 18,312,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
That's OK, RI is essentially a suburb (or at least an exurb) of Boston.
Not even close.

Old 05-20-2011, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Sometimes I think people choose to ignore that NYC and any NYC influence exists in Connecticut.
I think that's both a blessing and a curse. CT feeds off the money from NYC but that influence in turn has prevented its own identity from being preserved. Now money happens to be the first thing most associate with CT. It pays the bills, which you certainly can't discount the importance of. But if that's all the state has to sell itself over another (and fewer potholes), then things don't look promising.

Old 05-20-2011, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipperman View Post
you knew there'd be some elitist moron from Boston hating on us. if these bozo's knew anything about our state.
Don't worry I still have lots of love for your state. I mean I drive though it on I-95 whenever I drive south of New England. Heck, I'll even drop a few hundred at Foxwoods/Mohegan on the way. Why so defensive, are you guys still bitter over losing the Patriots?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut