Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2018, 11:37 AM

1,383 posts, read 1,560,545 times

Advertisements

Service Merchandise: the one I remember was on Rt 34 on the Derby/Orange line...right next to a Caldor that was tucked back from the road a bit, IIRC.

Here's one that not many will remember, unless you lived in Orange/West Haven area: The Amazing Store. It was kind of a Big Lots-type closeout outlet on the Post Rd.

On the subject of music-shopping, the name Merle's Record Rack recently re-surfaced in a conversation. Turns out, its still in business. For some reason, though, I'm recalling that there were multiple locations. Am I remembering incorrectly?

Also, does anybody remember the name of the CD store in Danbury across from the mall back in the 90s? I want to say they also had a store in Ridgefield.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2018, 11:52 AM

21,722 posts, read 28,055,508 times
I remember the Amazing Store in Danbury. Wow. I thought it was pretty cool as a kid. It was a big discount place that sold everything like Christmas Tree Shops. I believe it was where Burlington Coat Factory.

Wasn’t the CD place Strawberry’s? There was also The Wall in the mall. They replaced CD’s when you scratched them.

Old 11-06-2018, 12:24 PM

3,435 posts, read 3,941,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJDeadParrot View Post
Service Merchandise: the one I remember was on Rt 34 on the Derby/Orange line...right next to a Caldor that was tucked back from the road a bit, IIRC.

Here's one that not many will remember, unless you lived in Orange/West Haven area: The Amazing Store. It was kind of a Big Lots-type closeout outlet on the Post Rd.

On the subject of music-shopping, the name Merle's Record Rack recently re-surfaced in a conversation. Turns out, its still in business. For some reason, though, I'm recalling that there were multiple locations. Am I remembering incorrectly?

Also, does anybody remember the name of the CD store in Danbury across from the mall back in the 90s? I want to say they also had a store in Ridgefield.
Amazing was great. Loved that store as a kid.

I think there still is a Merle's on Rt. 1 in Orange, right by Dip Top. Its been there for a while. There was also a store in Derby in the strip mall on 34 where the CVS currently is. And there may have been one in the Post Mall in Milford and another one in Wallingford on Rt 5, but I could be confusing it with some other record store.

Old 11-06-2018, 01:03 PM

1,383 posts, read 1,560,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
I think there still is a Merle's on Rt. 1 in Orange, right by Dip Top. Its been there for a while. There was also a store in Derby in the strip mall on 34 where the CVS currently is. And there may have been one in the Post Mall in Milford and another one in Wallingford on Rt 5, but I could be confusing it with some other record store.
I think you're right about the one on 34, because I bought my first Ministry CD there.

I kinda wish I knew there was one location still in business when I was up that way this past summer.

I don't remember Strawberries as clearly, though. Would they have had a store across from Westfarms Mall around 1997 or so?

Old 11-06-2018, 01:18 PM

1,572 posts, read 1,559,949 times
It was on the New Britain/Farmington town line, along CT Route 71 (south of the mall). It was part of a smaller stand-alone building in front of the plaza with T.J. Maxx, etc.

Old 11-06-2018, 01:25 PM

1,556 posts, read 1,156,686 times
I remember Rogol's on Main St Seymour. As the attached article says, walking into Rogol's really was a time warp.

https://valley.newhavenindependent.o...end_of_an_era/

And I remember the Howard Barber "dry goods" store on Main St Derby... Up until demolition a few years ago, if you looked closely, you could see the signage on the old store front that was still there. (near the Derby Shelton Bridge, south side of Main St- Rt 34)

I also remember a couple of women's dress stores that were on either Main St or Elizabeth St Derby- The Fair Shoppe and The Model - IIRC. Wow, that's going way back... My Grandma used to take me there for a treat.

Last edited by LilyMae521; 11-06-2018 at 01:39 PM..

Old 11-06-2018, 05:05 PM

205 posts, read 162,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
Amazing was great. Loved that store as a kid.

There definitely was a Merle's in Wallingford on Route 5. Was in the plaza where the movie theater and Big Lots (which were once KMart and Finast, respectively) Pretty sure a Moe's currently occupies the space. The one in Orange was in the same plaza as Dip Top (the same plaza that houses the last remaining Quizno's in CT), but has since moved across Racebrook Rd behind Webster Bank. There is another record store, Redscroll Records, in the center of Wallingford on Route 5 next to Holy Trinity Church.

Also was a Strawberries on Queen St in Southington which is also occupied by a Moe's

Old 11-06-2018, 05:48 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,903,161 times
I remember DM Reads, Howlands and Levitz in downtown Bridgeport. Also Skydels on the East Side and Nydens on Madison Avenue. Fairfield had the Fairfield Store. Very high end. Also there was Henry’s Mens Shop and Genes Boot Shop. Great stores. Jay

Old 11-06-2018, 05:54 PM

34,013 posts, read 17,041,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I remember DM Reads, Howlands and Levitz in downtown Bridgeport. Also Skydels on the East Side and Nydens on Madison Avenue. Fairfield had the Fairfield Store. Very high end. Also there was Henry’s Mens Shop and Genes Boot Shop. Great stores. Jay
Liked Reads and Skydels. Loved Early American Shop, small gift store, Naugatuck Ave, in Milford near Simon Lake School.

Old 11-08-2018, 09:27 AM

5,104 posts, read 4,830,727 times
There's still at least one Rail Road Salvage store in West Haven I think. I saw and ad on TV for them recently.
Electronics Boutique still exists in NYC.

Gamestop bought Funcoland I think.
There was a Papa Ginos and an Arthur Treachers on Silas Deane Hwy in Wethersfield.

Going way back to the 70's there was a "Two Guys" store on the Berlin Trpke in the current Walmart location.
There was a Hardee's in Downtown New Britain at the current McDonalds location in New Brite Plaza.

There also used to be a McDonalds in downtown New Britain across the street from the new police station. Its now a parking lot.

I don't know if its true, but the word was that downtown New Britain location was closed due to lack of business and is one of the only McDonalds in the country to close because of that. The location was regularly over run with bums in the dining room. I used to go to that McDonalds as a kid and remember the bums.

Not a business, but there used to be a public beach at Batterson Park / Lake in Farmington. As far as I know its been shut down. Family used to go there a lot when I was a kid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut