Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 12:51 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times

Advertisements

With my Disabled pass i am allowed to finally get up and Explore more of CT....by Rail.... I was wondering if these towns were worth a visit..

New Canaan,CT > Does the New Canaan train operate off peak aswell or just peak? I'm confused about that...

Stamford , what parts of the city should i stay away form and what parts should i see?

Cos Cob? Anything worth seeing there?

Norwalk? I know they have a great waterfront....what about the rest of the city?

I'm capping it at Norwalk , otherwise it gets wayyyy to expensive for me.... despite the disable pass.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2011, 02:02 PM

21,756 posts, read 28,086,032 times
That's too bad, as I personally think the best towns to visit are east of Norwalk.

Old 04-11-2011, 02:34 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
New Caanan has a small upscale downtown to look around in. It is charming and very nice but can be pricey for nicer restaurants. Stamford has a large downtown with many major stores and restaurants. Cos Cob is very small and has nothing of interest IMHO. You might want to check out downtown Greenwich instead. By Norwalk I assume you mean South Norwalk. It has an interesting downtown area along Washington Street and a few nearby streets. There is a maritiime center there that may be interesting but it is kind of geared toward children. Jay

Old 04-12-2011, 09:27 AM

1,031 posts, read 2,447,780 times
There isn't much to see in Cos Cob, but I would highly recommend a day trip to downtown Greenwich, especially in the summer. Directly across the street from the train station is Greenwich Ave. with lots of upscale shopping and restaurants. If you come on a Saturday, you can exit left on Railroad Ave. and visit our farmers' market in the Horseneck parking lot right next door. If you walk down the road that continues where Greenwich Ave. ends (Steamboat Ave.) turn down the first road on your left and visit the Bruce Museum. (There is a Cindy Sherman exhibition going on now.) If you bring a bike, you can ride about 10 blocks up to the Town Hall to get a beach pass; then ride back to where Greenwich Ave. turns into Steamboat Ave. and take your first right onto Arch Street. Take the ferry on Arch Street to Island Beach (the island with food & bathrooms) and have a great day laying out in the sun!

Old 04-12-2011, 02:51 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,949,724 times
Sorry to hear that you're disabled.

Anyway, those towns you mentioned are all nice, but they're all clustered in a rather small area, and somewhat resemble towns in Westchester and Bergen counties. Why not explore the rest of the state? The real CT. Fairfield and New Haven counties are technically part of the NYC metro area.

Old 04-12-2011, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
The real CT. Fairfield and New Haven counties are technically part of the NYC metro area.
Hmm, that doesn't make them any less "real" Connecticut.

Although it is true that only seeing one region is not fair to judge the state by.

Old 04-12-2011, 03:21 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,415,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiv808 View Post
Hmm, that doesn't make them any less "real" Connecticut.

Although it is true that only seeing one region is not fair to judge the state by.

Agreed, I live in Norwalk. It was founded in 1651 by people from CT with nothing to do with NY. The proximity of NYC & the influx of commuters from there dont change a places identity. I find New England all over the place in Ffld county. But there is alot to see further up the line.

Norwalk may be tough for the OP if he cant get around easilly. Neither of our train stations are very close to area attractions let alone the things I often recomend people go check out. But if the pass you mention works for busses theres not many places you couldn't get to.
I tend to focus on the historical aspects of our city & visit the old cemetaries & things frequently.

Old 04-12-2011, 04:42 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,834,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristin85 View Post
There isn't much to see in Cos Cob, but I would highly recommend a day trip to downtown Greenwich, especially in the summer. Directly across the street from the train station is Greenwich Ave. with lots of upscale shopping and restaurants. If you come on a Saturday, you can exit left on Railroad Ave. and visit our farmers' market in the Horseneck parking lot right next door. If you walk down the road that continues where Greenwich Ave. ends (Steamboat Ave.) turn down the first road on your left and visit the Bruce Museum. (There is a Cindy Sherman exhibition going on now.) If you bring a bike, you can ride about 10 blocks up to the Town Hall to get a beach pass; then ride back to where Greenwich Ave. turns into Steamboat Ave. and take your first right onto Arch Street. Take the ferry on Arch Street to Island Beach (the island with food & bathrooms) and have a great day laying out in the sun!

Very helpful info there Kristin as my wife and I plan to visit Greenwich sometime soon. Do you know if there is a place to rent bicycles within walking distance of the train station?

Old 04-12-2011, 07:11 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
Agreed, I live in Norwalk. It was founded in 1651 by people from CT with nothing to do with NY. The proximity of NYC & the influx of commuters from there dont change a places identity. I find New England all over the place in Ffld county. But there is alot to see further up the line.

Norwalk may be tough for the OP if he cant get around easilly. Neither of our train stations are very close to area attractions let alone the things I often recomend people go check out. But if the pass you mention works for busses theres not many places you couldn't get to.
I tend to focus on the historical aspects of our city & visit the old cemetaries & things frequently.
I have Aspergers,so getting around isn't an issue. Although in the Summer months i tend to scale back my walks to the area near the stations. The heat and my Aspergers tend to not mix well thus creating dangerous heath hazards for me...

Old 04-12-2011, 08:52 PM

The only problem with not going past Norwalk is the limitations of attractions near the train stations.

Stamford is a fine place to live, but I can't really recommend it as a place to visit. At that point, you'd be better off in NYC. Sure, it has good restaurants and bars, but so does NYC - and they are better. I mean, what is there to do in Stamford besides shop at the mall and random shops? Again - it's better in NYC. And you can do ritzy shopping on Greenwich Ave.

Norwalk has a few interesting places to visit, the Maritime Center being one.

There's also nice little sailboat cruises and boat trips in this area, I believe some tour the Norwalk Islands. There are some nice lighthouses to visit too. http://www.seaport.org/

As mentioned, New Canaan has a really nice upscale downtown, but I'm not sure it's worth visiting unless you're into shopping.

I would really recommend going the extra distance to New Haven, where the options for exploring really start to open up. Go on a nice Spring day and you'll have PLENTY to explore. It's well worth the extra $10 on the train IMO....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut