Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2011, 07:33 AM

33 posts, read 71,614 times

Advertisements

My job is relocating me to New England and I have a rent budget of UP TO 1200 a month. I am quickly realizing this is not a lot compared to where I am now. $1200 buys a 4BR 3 bath single family house here, I am having a hard time finding a 1/1 apt in an area that is safe.

I have no area restrictions. My work is out of the home office so any town is good within 45 min of a major airport. Any suggestions on an apartment complex, or lord be willing, a single family home would be most welcome.

Cliffs: Wife and myself, 2 cats, under 1200 a month, 2br 2 bath where we won't get shot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2011, 07:41 AM

576 posts, read 1,218,307 times
What town is your job located? So that we can all figure out where is good to find where you are looking for.

Is this in Connecticut?

Old 04-12-2011, 07:47 AM

That's just it, I dont have to worry about town, it's home office. I can be just about anywhere within an hour of a major airport. Newhaven and waterbury are great, but can be MAss or RI too.

Old 04-12-2011, 08:00 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,131,290 times
There are numerous listings similar to what you are looking for in the Hartford area. In Connecticut, while the cities do have typical urban crime problems, the suburbs are generally very safe.

The following towns would have what you are looking for and are within 45 minutes of Bradley Airport. Bradley, by the way, is very convenient. I fly almost weekly and find the airport convenient, parking to be cheap, and security lines tolerable.

So here's my list... I'm sure others will chime in. Try Craigslist.

West Hartford
Wethersfield
Cromwell
Glastonbury
Vernon
Manchester
Granby
Enfield
Bloomfield
South Windsor
East Windsor

In most of those towns you should be able to find a 2 bedroom condo for $1200 or under. In some towns you'll get more than others, but all of those towns are relatively safe. Manchester is a small city and it has some rough parts...

Old 04-12-2011, 08:34 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,754,293 times
You might like to look in the Groton area of southeastern CT. It would put you well within a 45 minute drive to TF Green international airport in RI. This airport is about the same size as Bradley Airport in CT. It is also home to Groton- New London airport which is a small, regional, commuter jetport. The Groton area is an easy, no traffic drive out to Green.

You can find something like this Craigslist offering.

2b w/ lots of closet space, private balcony, pet friendly! (http://newlondon.craigslist.org/apa/2320259748.html - broken link)

If you work with a realtor ( no charge to you), you might even get lucky and find a small house or condo to rent. Check also the online classified section of the local regional newspaper, the New London Day. Friday is their big real estate day.

I don't think you would find a 2/2 for $ 1200 in the New Haven area in a safe neighborhood. And New Haven is more than 45 minutes to Bradley Airport. New Haven is next to Tweed- New Haven airport, which will get you to Philadelphia.

Good luck

Old 04-12-2011, 08:39 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,131,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
You might like to look in the Groton area of southeastern CT. It would put you well within a 45 minute drive to TF Green international airport in RI. This airport is about the same size as Bradley Airport in CT. It is also home to Groton- New London airport which is a small, regional, commuter jetport. The Groton area is an easy, no traffic drive out to Green.

You can find something like this Craigslist offering.

2b w/ lots of closet space, private balcony, pet friendly! (http://newlondon.craigslist.org/apa/2320259748.html - broken link)

If you work with a realtor ( no charge to you), you might even get lucky and find a small house or condo to rent. Check also the online classified section of the local regional newspaper, the New London Day. Friday is their big real estate day.

I don't think you would find a 2/2 for $ 1200 in the New Haven area in a safe neighborhood. And New Haven is more than 45 minutes to Bradley Airport. New Haven is next to Tweed- New Haven airport, which will get you to Philadelphia.

Good luck
Not a bad suggestion, but you will be using TF Green not Groton/New London Airport. Groton/New London has not had airline service since USAir Express pulled out a few years back.

They do still server New Haven, Tweed, however.

Old 04-12-2011, 11:04 AM

34,917 posts, read 56,893,272 times
You coul dprobably find a 2 bedroom, 2 bath apartment in the greater Hartford area for about $1,200 per month. You would be convenient to Bradley Airport. That said what type of community are you looking for? Do you want to be in an urban area, suburban area or out in the country? Do you want a "walkable" area or are the suburbs fine? Do you need to be near major shopping and entertainment? Do you want the area to be upscale meaning more trendy stores and restaurants? The answer to some of these questions will help us direct you to a town.

If you want a big city urban feel I would suggest downtown Hartford. If you want more of a suburban feel but want a mature walkable downtown are, then West Hartford. If you want a more of a suburban town, then consider Manchester, Vernon or Middletown. If you want an upscale town try West Hartford, Farmington, Avon, Simsbury or Glastonbury. More middle class, try Wethersfield or Newington. For a more rural area check out Ellington. I hope this helps. Jay

Old 04-12-2011, 12:24 PM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
It depends on what you want. If location truly does not matter, nor does proximity to cities like NYC or Boston, you can find inexpensive housing in the Eastern half of the state. It's generally the least expensive and less affluent part of the state, not including some of the shore points.

Though I'm afraid your criteria is far too broad to make a solid suggestion.

Old 04-12-2011, 01:54 PM

I realize, and my apologies! It's really anywhere between Boston and NJ. Weeding through CL scams is what is frustrating more than anything. I appreciate the suggestions and I am looking into them!

Old 04-12-2011, 02:12 PM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
There are dozens of places that could fit the criteria. Do you prefer rural or city? Coastline or woods? Isolated or bustling?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut