Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 07:55 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,858,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wma152 View Post
What does Uconn police responding to the Manchester shooting got to do with overpaid salary? Maybe it shows that they really don't have **** to do most of the time.

^This.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2011, 07:56 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,003,508 times
One reason the salary is called too high, is because police cheifs at similiar universities make much less.

The police chief at Ohio State, a school with 55K students only makes 135K per year. The salary is above and beyond any comperable job. It doesn't make sense, and it is a complete waste.

There really is no hype, its corruption plain and simple.[/quote]

Thanks for saving me the typing. Seriously, this isn't rocket science. Well, maybe if you are debating in a state funded lecture hall with a professor making 180,000 per year, don't pay sh*t for sh*t and have some non experiential utopian existance...it all makes sense.

Spending other people's money is fun, until it runs out.

Old 04-19-2011, 10:41 PM

722 posts, read 1,982,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
One reason the salary is called too high, is because police cheifs at similiar universities make much less.

The police chief at Ohio State, a school with 55K students only makes 135K per year. The salary is above and beyond any comperable job. It doesn't make sense, and it is a complete waste.

There really is no hype, its corruption plain and simple.
Thanks for saving me the typing. Seriously, this isn't rocket science. Well, maybe if you are debating in a state funded lecture hall with a professor making 180,000 per year, don't pay sh*t for sh*t and have some non experiential utopian existance...it all makes sense.

Spending other people's money is fun, until it runs out.[/quote]

Yea. But what are the responsibilities of the chief at ohio state? What's his educational background? What's the cost of living in Ohio? How many people fall under his command?

LOL! And JViello's comment. HAHAHAHAHAHA. I don't pay NOTHING. nope. Not a dime. I didn't max out 2 credit cards just to register for classes. Nope. Never worked a day of my life!! I don't have 2 jobs, I don't have a enormous bill that i don't know how to pay for in order for them to send me my degree.

We've all heard the story line. You're struggling. Everyone make more than you. Chief Hudd entered the bottom of an organization 30 years ago, and now he's the Vice President at a University. He got a 5% raise when the University consolidated their police forces and put him in charge of them. He is good at what he earns a high salary.

One of my professors last semester was a cell biologist. He specialized in actin filaments. He runs one of the best research labs on campus. There aren't too many knowledgable people in his field. He also teaches 2 days a week at the Medical Center. He probably makes the $180,000 that you mimic. Why? Because he worked hard his entire life and he's good at what he does. See a trend?

You hide behind a veil "government waste" when in reality, you're just jealous that these successful people make more than you. As much as I try, it's hard to feel sorry for you. Get a Ph.D and you'll make as much as that "professor" u like to talk about. It might sound "corrupt" but that's how it works.

Old 04-19-2011, 11:45 PM

438 posts, read 1,197,015 times
"Another means of silently lessening the inequality of property is to exempt all from taxation below a certain point, and to tax the higher portions of property in geometrical progression as they rise." - Thomas Jefferson

Old 04-20-2011, 12:10 AM

438 posts, read 1,197,015 times
(Or, if you prefer:

" I shall now proceed to the plan I have to propose, which is,

To create a national fund, out of which there shall be paid to every person, when arrived at the age of twenty-one years, the sum of fifteen pounds sterling, as a compensation in part, for the loss of his or her natural inheritance, by the introduction of the system of landed property:

And also, the sum of ten pounds per annum, during life, to every person now living, of the age of fifty years, and to all others as they shall arrive at that age." -- Thomas Paine)

Old 04-20-2011, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
"Another means of silently lessening the inequality of property is to exempt all from taxation below a certain point, and to tax the higher portions of property in geometrical progression as they rise." - Thomas Jefferson
Since I'm short on time, I would like to address at least this complete bastardization of a quote.

You should read the entire letter to Madison where this was cherry picked from:

Equality: Thomas Jefferson to James Madison

Jefferson was in France, observing the "land lords" and the "peasants". He was pondering possible solutions for THAT system, not ours in regard to land distribution in the new founded country. Lest you forget that we had "land grabs" in our history to further expansion.

He ended his letter with this:
It is too soon yet in our country to say that every man who cannot find employment but who can find uncultivated land, shall be at liberty to cultivate it, paying a moderate rent. But it is not too soon to provide by every possible means that as few as possible shall be without a little portion of land. The small landholders are the most precious part of a state.
So you can take that history lesson back to your liberal friends a let them know they are being intellectually dishonest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brasscitybluenwhite View Post
We've all heard the story line. You're struggling. Everyone make more than you. Chief Hudd entered the bottom of an organization 30 years ago, and now he's the Vice President at a University. He got a 5% raise when the University consolidated their police forces and put him in charge of them. He is good at what he earns a high salary.

One of my professors last semester was a cell biologist. He specialized in actin filaments. He runs one of the best research labs on campus. There aren't too many knowledgable people in his field. He also teaches 2 days a week at the Medical Center. He probably makes the $180,000 that you mimic. Why? Because he worked hard his entire life and he's good at what he does. See a trend?

You hide behind a veil "government waste" when in reality, you're just jealous that these successful people make more than you. As much as I try, it's hard to feel sorry for you. Get a Ph.D and you'll make as much as that "professor" u like to talk about. It might sound "corrupt" but that's how it works.
Yea, I'm jealous. That's it. You got me. When you mature a little, you'll see things like "jealousy" and eyeing who's got what really does drop to the wayside. We are doing fine as a family by current standards, but thanks for your concern. Struggling to me is not being able to pay off a mortgage in 10 years, and having opressive taxation.

That's the issue at hand. These people are on the public dole. We are forced to fund this. If it was a private enterprise, could care less who gets paid what.

That's the free money part you folks don't seem to get, or if I'm being honest LIKE about this. You LIKE the idea that other people's money is being TAKEN and given to others. This is your utopia. It's an abomination to our principles as a nation.

You are not entitled to what I earn. You are not entitled to take from me and determine who gets it and how much. You have no right to do so.

You all mirror the thinking of Marx. "From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs" Karl Marx

When you find you've collapsed the economy and your degree doesn't mean a thing and you have no future, you might get it. You might get that you were sold a lie.

Last edited by JViello; 04-20-2011 at 05:39 AM..

Old 04-20-2011, 05:22 AM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times
Quote:

I agree with you that police chiefs and upper mgmt in departments have inflated salaries, but I just want to address that there is a HUGE cost of living difference between CT and OH, which I'm sure factors into the salary. 135k a year in a state where you can get a nice home for 100k, that's a lot.

Last edited by kidyankee764; 04-20-2011 at 05:43 AM..

Old 04-20-2011, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I agree with you that police chiefs and upper mgmt in departments have inflated salaries, but I just want to address that there is a HUGE cost of living difference between CT and OH, which I'm sure factors into the salary. 135k a year in a state where you can get a nice home for 100k, that's a lot.
That's not my quote...it was an editing botch. That was Hartford Renter. Just FYI.

Old 04-20-2011, 05:43 AM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
That's not my quote...it was an editing botch. That was Hartford Renter. Just FYI.
Thanks. Just removed your name.

Old 04-20-2011, 06:16 AM

2,080 posts, read 3,922,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brasscitybluenwhite View Post
Get a Ph.D and you'll make as much as that "professor" u like to talk about. It might sound "corrupt" but that's how it works.
Uh, not likely. I work with many Ph.D's and let me tell you these guys are very smart within their specialty, but thinking outside of the box is tough for them. Just ask any Ph.D how hard it is to get a job...they're so narrowly focused. Where I work, very few of them make over 120K...and those that do are superstars. Very rare. Most of the high paid people are undergrads, well rounded and workaholics!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut