Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 05:58 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,950,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
We can't put up a toll at the -entrance- to Connecticut on I-95, because New York already has a toll there for the privilege of leaving their state. The entrance to I-95 on the other end near Rhode Island already has too much constricted traffic; adding a toll would turn it into complete chaos during rush hour.

We'd have to put toll booths at the -exits- on that highway. However, Rte 15 used to have tolls, and there's no toll at either end anymore. Truckers can't drive on it, so they wouldn't be burdened with a fee in addition to the DOT tax they pay to drive through or into our state. You could return a toll to the south end on the way to the Tappan Zee, and an exit toll on I-95. You can impose a a three-tiered toll for 15: State residents driving passenger vehicles pay either no fee, or get a pass for $20 good for unlimited travel for the whole year. Non-resident passenger vehicles pay $1.00 per toll. ALL combination vehicles, whether in or out of state, pay $1.00 per toll. Trucks on I-95 would be exempt but would have a modest increase in their state DOT fee, and penalties for not having the DOT sticker would triple to accommodate the cost to the state of carrying those violators on the roads.
they should not even bother with toll booths and just go all electronic EZ PASS only tolls with non stop tolls so ppl with EZpass move quickly while NON-EZPASS FOOLS PAY A penalty in the mail!!! If u dont have EZ pass you dont deserve to drive on a toll based highway. NO CASH ALLOWED!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2011, 06:24 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qjbusmaster View Post
they should not even bother with toll booths and just go all electronic EZ PASS only tolls with non stop tolls so ppl with EZpass move quickly while NON-EZPASS FOOLS PAY A penalty in the mail!!! If u dont have EZ pass you dont deserve to drive on a toll based highway. NO CASH ALLOWED!!!!
That's kind of pointless, seeing as how millions of people come through the state, who come FROM Places that don't HAVE ezpass. They have no reason to buy one, if they're only driving up for vacation. Connecticut IS a vacation destination for car travellers. And we DO have an international airport, and some people who fly in DO fly in so they can drive outside the state. There's no reason for them to have an ezpass either.

The point isn't to prevent people from driving through, or to discourage them from driving to the state. It's to require that the highway be paid for by people who actually use it, rather than come out of our taxes, even if we don't use it.

Old 04-24-2011, 07:13 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,852,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiv808 View Post
Could it be worse than the 30 miles of stop and go traffic every day on 95 and 15 in SW Connecticut?
Quote:
Originally Posted by qjbusmaster View Post
seriously metro-north runs for a reason get over it

Get over it? Sure thing. Where should i go to get my parking pass for the Stratford train station?

Old 04-24-2011, 08:50 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,842,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Get over it? Sure thing. Where should i go to get my parking pass for the Stratford train station?
Walk or Ride your bike , what happens when gas hits 7$ , driving everyday to the station will become really expensive. And its one of those things you can cut out of your daily life.

Old 04-24-2011, 10:07 PM

428 posts, read 1,173,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiv808 View Post
Could it be worse than the 30 miles of stop and go traffic every day on 95 and 15 in SW Connecticut?
What are "95" and "15"? Are they highways? We rednecks who live along the Route 11 corridor have only used the term "highway" tossed around by men in fancy suits. What are they used for? Could they accommodate our horse-and-buggies? Please let us know ASAP, thanks.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:48 AM

1,031 posts, read 2,446,762 times
Ditto to Stratford, Ct. Resident's response. When I lived in Bridgeport I was near Trumbull and could not walk/bike to the station. I live in Byram Greenwich now and would need to walk/bike 2.5 miles on route 1 to get to the train station (which will not happen as I'd prefer to sit in traffic.) With all of the parking lot spaces reserved for years, it becomes near impossible to use the trains for daily commute unless you have a spouse/taxi drop you off everyday. Horrible traffic on I-95/the Merritt in SW CT will not end until gas hits $5+/gallon and carpooling picks up. On that note, I hate the idea of adding tolls to I-95 for anyone unless the gas tax is repealed. We all know that won't happen. I would also assume there would be huge public outcry about accident increases and congestion if the state proposed putting tolls on any major roads.

Old 04-25-2011, 04:22 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,842,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristin85 View Post
Ditto to Stratford, Ct. Resident's response. When I lived in Bridgeport I was near Trumbull and could not walk/bike to the station. I live in Byram Greenwich now and would need to walk/bike 2.5 miles on route 1 to get to the train station (which will not happen as I'd prefer to sit in traffic.) With all of the parking lot spaces reserved for years, it becomes near impossible to use the trains for daily commute unless you have a spouse/taxi drop you off everyday. Horrible traffic on I-95/the Merritt in SW CT will not end until gas hits $5+/gallon and carpooling picks up. On that note, I hate the idea of adding tolls to I-95 for anyone unless the gas tax is repealed. We all know that won't happen. I would also assume there would be huge public outcry about accident increases and congestion if the state proposed putting tolls on any major roads.
Well , if Biking / walking was made easier would you do it to the station. The road to my station is preventing me form biking....but if it made safer for bikes i would use it. I'm sure i'm not alone on this.....I know CT and NY are coming up with a Suburban bike / walking improvement plan...

Old 04-26-2011, 07:32 AM

323 posts, read 633,816 times
CT is turning into another suburb of NY, and all of the crap that goes on over there is starting to spread to our towns & highways. (More traffic, more nasty drivers, a keyed-up population, fights for resources, etc...) I don't feel that CT is that small, well-run, "protected" state anymore. Its been broken down to the point of no return. This will not be the only toll road!

Old 04-26-2011, 08:16 AM

2,394 posts, read 4,084,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Well , if Biking / walking was made easier would you do it to the station.
Take out (1) snow days (including any day where there is ice on the road), (2) rain days, (3) days below 20 degrees, (4) days where the humidity is high enough your clothes would be soaked by the time you got where you are going.

How many riding days are left in Connecticut? Not that many.

Old 04-26-2011, 05:33 PM

8,155 posts, read 20,999,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post
Take out (1) snow days (including any day where there is ice on the road), (2) rain days, (3) days below 20 degrees, (4) days where the humidity is high enough your clothes would be soaked by the time you got where you are going.

How many riding days are left in Connecticut? Not that many.
Agreed. The whole ride you bike to work thing is a joke. And listen, this is coming from a guy who was on a cycling team, and rode into work regularly a decade ago. The ONLY reason I was able to do it, is the owners of the company where cyclists and we had a locker room and shower there and I had my dry cleaning done and delivered there by the uniform company that serviced the shop. There was no way I could get into a shirt and tie after a 15 mile ride otherwise. No way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut